Wiki Posts
Search

How should I get home? NRT-NYC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT the rest, Kettle Power
How should I get home? NRT-NYC

I currently have a trip booked in April, NYC-NRT in NH J, then returning NRT-TPE-JFK in BK J.

Now UA F has opened up to ORD, with connection in E, which would likely open up later to J too.

The UA flight leaves later in the afternoon, and arrives in NYC about 2.5 hours before the BR flight.

I know there's been debate about UA F vs *A J before, and usually I lean towards UA F as my primary concern when flying is about the seat, everything else is just gravy. Though in this case, I'm in two minds about what to do.

BR J looks great, as others have said, much like other F class products.

What would you do!?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I'd do BR. Cheaper and not a ton of difference in the seat. And it's not like UA is getting you a nonstop.

Just look for NH F or C space close in.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Yea, that's a good point too. It's still not a non stop and I'm really hoping NH J or F opens up closer in.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
That is a seriously long detour. I'd do UA F.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
It would stay with BR J. Yes, it adds several hrs to the trip. But it also gives you several hours to enjoy the BR J experience. I imagine the J class lounge in Taipei will be nicer too.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mdpdjx
It would stay with BK J. Yes, it adds 2.5 hrs to the trip. But it also gives you 2.5 extra hours to enjoy the BK J experience.
unless getting home is the purpose
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would stick with BR. I'm returning from Asia right now where I've been flying on OZ (J) and TG (F) and the whole experience is just so far superior to UA . . . .
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:38 pm

When you read this article and see the pictures, it doesn't make me think UA F is any better. If you're also saving miles by going in J on Eva instead of F in UA, then that's a no brainer to me. I've been on United flights and would have gladly given up 2.5 hours of my life to be on another airline.

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...usiness-class/
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:51 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uthornsgo
I've been on United flights and would have gladly given up 2.5 hours of my life to be on another airline.
For me it's 12 hours. Any 4 star *A partner that gets me where I'm going up to a day later is worth the detour. Yes, UA is that bad these days ....
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
Not OZ F? Someone mentioned on another thread that availability is better now that OZ's system update is over.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
I would stay with BR J. Many good reasons already stated above. But there are more:

1. No need to wait for baggage at ORD, recheck it, then wait for it again at EWR.

2. No need for another security screening at ORD. When you take BR, you get your baggage at JFK and leave the airport.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Neil35
I would stay with BR J. Many good reasons already stated above. But there are more:

1. No need to wait for baggage at ORD, recheck it, then wait for it again at EWR.

2. No need for another security screening at ORD. When you take BR, you get your baggage at JFK and leave the airport.
I didn't even think of that one. I might even fly United for the luxury of not having to claim and recheck bags....
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:05 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Br j >> ua f
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

All excellent points - I too did not think about the luggage thing. I did think about the customs thing though, and agree it'll prob be nicer to step off the plane on US soil and go straight home. Also - have totally been all over that OZ F thing, sadly I'm not seeing space on ANA tool for my dates. Should I call, will they see something different?
Otherwise I think I'm gonna stick to BR J and keep an eye out for NH C/F opening closer in. Thanks Guys!!!
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by TGGDEL
I currently have a trip booked in April, NYC-NRT in NH J, then returning NRT-TPE-JFK in BK J.

Now UA F has opened up to ORD, with connection in E, which would likely open up later to J too.

The UA flight leaves later in the afternoon, and arrives in NYC about 2.5 hours before the BR flight.

I know there's been debate about UA F vs *A J before, and usually I lean towards UA F as my primary concern when flying is about the seat, everything else is just gravy. Though in this case, I'm in two minds about what to do.

BR J looks great, as others have said, much like other F class products.

What would you do!?
I certainly agree BR J > UA F, however not sure who have said BR J is like other F class products ?

The BR J seats (royal laurel) have the similiar seats to CX J, AA J, and US Envoy on 330, and their soft product is C/J class product, far away from F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.