Wiki Posts
Search

UA Devaluation - Blogs Incentives

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: -
UA Devaluation - Blogs Incentives

Even though I don't ever complain about bloggers (I learned a lot from many of them), I couldn't help but notice how I haven't seen them talk about the impact of UA's devaluation on Ultimate Rewards.

I'm no expert but I would think Chase points are worth a lot less now. Are they not allowed to say anything "bad" about Chase per their affiliate agreements?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: UMP Silver and Marriott Platinum
What is the devaluation on the Ultimate Rewards? I just logged into my chase Ultimate Rewards and they still transfer out at 1:1. Am I missing something? Do you have a link?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:27 am

Well, obviously they won't be able to use the same examples of amazing UA awards possible merely from the card signup bonus + a little bit of spend to promote their offers in the future...

So it will have an impact (I would think a relatively minor one) on their conversion rates/revenue -- there are still appealing ways to promote the cards even with the new UA program.

I am pretty sure there is no pressure from above to not relate the UA devaluation to Chase's points program. Obviously this is not in the bloggers' interest, though - why would they draw attention to it in a direct manner?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jfkcnf
Even though I don't ever complain about bloggers (I learned a lot from many of them), I couldn't help but notice how I haven't seen them talk about the impact of UA's devaluation on Ultimate Rewards.

I'm no expert but I would think Chase points are worth a lot less now. Are they not allowed to say anything "bad" about Chase per their affiliate agreements?
Give us some time!

My post will be up later today.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: -
Originally Posted by SychoSly
What is the devaluation on the Ultimate Rewards? I just logged into my chase Ultimate Rewards and they still transfer out at 1:1. Am I missing something? Do you have a link?
Transfer ratio is still the same, but "value" is less. Basically it will take more Ultimate Rewards to get the same award.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by jfkcnf

Blogs may be slow, twitter is lit up like a Christmas tree about it though
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:37 am
jmw

Why would you tell your readers that a UR point is worth a lot less than before? Then the reader might not sign up for a credit card anymore if the bonus is a pittance. That tells you something about the ethics of the bloggers (which is quite low IMHO).
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by jmw
Why would you tell your readers that a UR point is worth a lot less than before? Then the reader might not sign up for a credit card anymore if the bonus is a pittance. That tells you something about the ethics of the bloggers (which is quite low IMHO).
What business highlights the negatives of the products they are marketing?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:46 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...aluations.html
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: UA silver (soft landing from 1K), AA plat, HHonors gold, Ambassador club, DC
Originally Posted by SychoSly
UA devalued its award chart, so the OP is saying the UR points are worth less becuase you need more of them to get the same reward.

UA Insider post with links:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21705672-post1.html

and here's a link to a blogger upset about it:

http://travel-summary.com/united-air...s-award-chart/
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Give us some time!

My post will be up later today.
Thank you! I've been waiting to see the "re-evaluating Chase Sapphire vs SPG Amex vs Amex Platinum post- United Awardageddon" blog entries all day. Sucks for us but it is like the Tiger Woods scandal of award redemptions.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
I wonder what effect this will have on MS.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
I feel bad for the person running the @united twitter. Every other post is sorry to hear that, we hope you fly with us again
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Gary Leff mentioned in his post this morning that UR points take an (understandable) hit after gutting the chart this badly. Still, UR points have so many places you can dump them off -- and Hyatt redemptions are still a pretty good value -- for me the impact is minimal. Definitely an impact to their value, but not a catastrophic one (like, say, MileagePlus miles).
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
I feel bad for the person running the @united twitter. Every other post is sorry to hear that, we hope you fly with us again
I don't feel bad at all. You reap what you sow. "We may have given you PQDs, gutted alcohol selection at the clubs, minimized complimentary beverage options, took away ExpertFlyer and our award chart just got nuked, but come chat live with an O'Hare customer service agent as a way to make it up to you!" It's a joke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.