Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:28 am

Overall: Horrible with capital "H"

Three bright spots, which mitigate at most 10% of the damage:

1. Economy awards were barely touched. The only major devaluation was US to South Asia going 65k to 80k, which was a great value and is now fair.

2. Western hemisphere awards barely touched. Maybe United miles will be for economy and the Americas while AA/US/DL will be for Europe/Asia and business/first.

3. I think the notice is fare. We get four months to book up to 11 months out. You can fly through 2014 at the good prices.

Again, overall pretty horrible.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:32 am

Programs: RVT 1K
Originally Posted by milevalue

3. I think the notice is fare. We get four months to book up to 11 months out. You can fly through 2014 at the good prices.

Not in F, which is hardest hit, try booking anything more than a couple weeks out!

Overall pretty horrible? It is a Mileage MASSACRE!
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:37 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Welll, I've been weaning myself off UA for the past year but now it's official. I'm done. Time to cash out and put 100% of my focus on AA.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:38 am

Hi everyone,

I wanted to give you a heads up about some changes we’ll be making to our MileagePlus award chart and upgrade policies. More details, including links to the changes, are listed below.
  • Changes to miles needed for some Saver and Standard Awards, including domestic stopovers (link - PDF p.2)
  • Different premium cabin mileage levels for Star Alliance and MileagePlus partners (link - PDF p.3)
  • Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights (link - see chart)
Changes to the award charts take effect for all award tickets issued on or after February 1, 2014. The upgrade policy changes will not impact any flights taken before February 1, 2014.

As always, I’m here and will do my best to answer any clarifying questions you may have.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Is there a way to see what has changed?

What exactly does "Different premium cabin mileage levels" mean?

Are you trying to say that you have raised the price to fly in a premium cabin using miles with those words?

Have you eliminated saver awards on partners?

Needless to say, strong thumbs down. Flier friendly? Really???
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:38 am

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
And here I was thinking of switching to UA.. Now a massive reconsider will be underway! Big thumbs down.. If anything, I'd much rather have decent award rates than a Marriott status card. But as things go, it's one step forward, two (probably a whole lot more but you know what I mean) steps back.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Originally Posted by wethereyet
Very tempted to email UA and say if they don't give me GS immediately that I'm gone.
Sorry to say, but I am sure they would laugh at such an email.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
So what are the odds we see little or no new post Feb. 1, 2014 award inventory before the new redemption levels kick in?
Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 1 or for travel after Feb 1?

That is, if you purchase a ticket now, to fly Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:45 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, RA, QF Gold, UA 1K
most of the first class award increased by 100k round-trip....
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Holy heck, I just woke up to this. Another Friday kick in the face, fantastic. Well, the award redemptions were the only reason I continued to fly United and deal with all the nonsense. I suppose I have some thinking to do.

If AA were smart, they'd send out another wave of status matches. I'd defect in a heartbeat being I already give AA a high percentage of my monthly transcon business.

Last edited by fjfv19; Nov 1, 2013 at 4:51 am
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:47 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Richklhs
Just when I move to Tokyo because it was *A friendly....thanks United.
Tokyo is also a OW stronghold. Come join the dAA(jl)rkside!
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:47 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
COdbaUA is on a roll today. First EF and now this.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Ouch.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:50 am

Programs: RVT 1K
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 1 or for travel after Feb 1?

That is, if you purchase a ticket now, to fly Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
Looks to be applied to purchases AFTER Feb 1...but as we know it is hard to book that far out for many and there is usually no space anyways.

So, I would be tempted to book a bunch and burn my miles but I am not going to book Y seats and then hope to change to C or F after Feb1 and be charged the new rates. I am sure any change made after Feb1 will be at new rates.

As I said before in this thread, I could see an increase in redemption levels but nothing like this ....it is jaw dropping!
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:51 am

Programs: nobody
Already not going to be 1k next year and with CX doing ORD-HKG 2x next Aug. This just makes my decision easier. Thanks UA.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
+1
DL just had a $1.2 billion dollar quarterly profit, skypesos notwithstanding.

Very few pax choose an airline based on frequent flyer redemption charts.
PAX who have choices (i.e. not hub captive) will consider price, schedule, routing, service. DL tends to win on all of those. Even out of SFO, I see them offering lots of good routings and often attractive P/Z fares in J, many times 40% lower than UA.

After the destruction that $mi$ek has brought upon UA, the MP program was the one and only shining light. The singular thing he has not yet destroyed. In every other respect, UA has become an abomination.

I think this will make a big difference. In the past, there was one remaining reason to stay with UA: The MP program. Now, that reason is gone.

Originally Posted by lingzhou
fare to asia increase a lot, damn, time to change
The Asian increases, particularly SE Asia are the most striking to me.

As usual, these people can't get their heads out of Texas. It seems this chart was built on the assumption that everyone lives in EWR or IAH.

From SFO, this seems outrageously punitive.

Originally Posted by milevalue

Nonsense. Saver inventory is highly restricted. Now, they'll probably restrict it further. Combine that with everyone trying to book before Feb 1? There will be no saver inventory 11 months out before Feb 1. This is a bloodbath. They've taken away a significant amount of what was earned and promised. Something they have become quite adept at. All the while, saying it's flyer friendly???

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 1, 2013 at 5:28 am Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.