Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Moderator Note: Please keep the wiki post limited to just the facts.

New UA Award/Upgrade Chart (vs. Current Chart)

Changes took effect for travel booked starting February 3, 2014. See UA Insider's post linked here for more info about the date change. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22263212-post2366.html

Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.
  • F awards on partners went up 40-80%
  • J awards on partners went up 20-40%
  • F and J awards on UA metal (or mixed carriers where UA metal is in premium cabin followed by partner segment in lower class) as well some Y awards increased by 5-20% (US to Europe in F up 19%, US to Middle East in F up 20% for example)

See below for the round-trip increases on partner metal :
US ✈ Southern South America: +10,000 J, +5,000 F

US ✈ Europe: +40,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Northern/Central/Southern Africa: +40,000 J, +110,000 F

US ✈ Middle East: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +130,000 F

US ✈ Central Asia/India: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ South Asia: +15,000 Y, +40,000 J, +120,000 F

US ✈ North Asia: +5,000 Y, +40,000 J, +100,000 F

US ✈ Japan: +5,000 Y, +30,000 J, +85,000 F

US ✈ Oceania: +30,000 J, +70,000 F

US ✈ Australia/New Zealand: +25,000 J, +100,000 F

RTW: +20,000 Y, +90,000 J, +100,000 F

Changes to upgrade policy for intra-Asia and northern South America flights
  1. Complimentary Premier Upgrades and instant upgrades are not applicable
  2. Regional Premier Upgrades (for any fare class) and Global Premier Upgrades (for flights booked in fare class Z, P, S, T, L, K, G or N) can no longer be requested on or after November 1, 2013
  3. There is no co-pay exemption for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards requested on or after November 1, 2013
  4. The above changes do not apply to Copa-operated flights.

Questions and Answers

Q: If I book an award in January 2014 and then make changes in February or beyond (in routing, airline, origin, destination, etc), will it be repriced according to new mileage requirements, or will I keep the old pricing on that ticket?
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our existing change process will apply. Changes to awards that require a change in date do not result in a change to the award price. Any other change will require an add/collect in miles and fees for changes or cancellations will still apply as per our existing policies.
Additional details on changing tickets booked prior to 2/3/14 per UA Insider:
Changes that will not trigger a re-price for itineraries ticketed before February 3, 2014 include:
  • Date/time (cabin, region, and award type can't change)
  • Carrier on one or more segments (cabin, region, and award type can’t change)
  • Origin/Destination within the same regions (carrier and cabin can’t change)
Full details are in post #2588 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22283437-post2588.html

Q: Do these rates apply for tickets purchased after Feb 3 or for travel after Feb 3? That is,if one purchases a ticket now, to fly on Mar 15, will that be new or old pricing?
The new award pricing takes effect for bookings made on or after Feb 3, 2014 for all future travel dates. If you purchased a ticket prior to then for travel on March 15, and no changes are made to the itinerary, the current pricing will apply.
Q: How will award pricing apply to mixed-carrier Saver Awards?
Updated handling for mixed UA-Partner United/partner award itineraries: As we shared with the initial announcement, the Star Alliance/Partner partner award pricing will apply to Business or First awards for itineraries that include at least one flight segment operated by a MileagePlus partner carrier in Business or First.

However, as a customer benefit we have made an exception for most itineraries which require connecting onto a MileagePlus/Star partner in First or Business for a short distance. Specifically, if a United/Copa award itinerary contains a connecting segment on a MileagePlus/Star partner that is wholly within one MileagePlus award region, then the United award price will apply.
  • For example: IAD-FRA in United BusinessFirst connecting to FRA-FCO in Lufthansa Business, will be priced at the United mileage award amount.
  • Note that this exception will not apply to a few specific regions and routings, such as intra-Africa connecting segments and certain fifth-freedom routes (e.g. BKK-KUL operated by Lufthansa)
(reverted to J.Edward's rev)
Print Wikipost

Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2013, 5:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
With the new chart, would you spend the additional 40K miles to fly Asiana F (120K one way *A)? Or would you look harder for a UA F award (80K)?

Or, would you say "Business class is good enough" and look for an 80K OZ award vs a 70K UA award?
What stings so much is that at currents rates that 1-way in Asiana F (which is fantastic) is going to be the new price for a relatively crappy United J product post 2/1/14.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
So if you book a UA F award to FRA and then LH C flight to MUC and TG C flight to BKK, for example....it comes in at the UA F class price on the new chart? or the partner award chart price?
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So if you book a UA F award to FRA and then LH C flight to MUC and TG C flight to BKK, for example....it comes in at the UA F class price on the new chart? or the partner award chart price?
Your first supposition was correct; it will book at the UA F level.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by dsquared37
And you may as well throw in UA F - its 80k to Asia one way, same as partner business.

They seem to have gotten this about right. UA F = partner J in quality.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: UA PremExec
Makes UA seats harder to get?

It seems to me that this will also make UA seats in J and F harder to get. Here is why. Assume you want to go ORD-BKK in J or F. At the moment there are a variety of options (UA, NH, ANA, etc) all for the same miles. Faced with this choice, many (myself included) would choose partners. Now that the partners would cost more (especially in F), I think most people will opt for the UA seats. So these will be grabbed more quickly, leaving only the more expensive partner options.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by UAkls
So these will be grabbed more quickly, leaving only the more expensive partner options.
Or the option of buying revenue ticket
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by rankourabu
They seem to have gotten this about right. UA F = partner J in quality.
Interesting observation.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dsquared37
That's great but the partner award chart then just makes things more confusing for people. Technically, the major loss is now no partner first awards at normal prices. They shoul have just blocked partner first completely like DL does and just raise mileage a bit instead of coming up with this separate chart. Its confusing for the average consumer
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
And I believe that anything that would seriously regulate the loyalty programs would bring about their devaluation prior to the regulation, or possibly their termination entirely.

Don't get me wrong. There is nothing about the changes that I like. Because MileagePlus is so much larger than any similar loyalty program that has been devalued in the past, this may go down as the biggest PR train wreck in history. In fact I hope it does. To the point that we see some reversal.

Getting the government involved, however, never ends well for industry or consumer. If either is favored, the losing side quits participating. There should be government regulation of as few airline operations as possible. Only those that are absolutely necessary, like safety, should fall under the control of regulators.

I realize that there are more valid regulations in place, and I'm not suggesting that we make it a free-for-all that would kill competition and our ability to have options. Tarmac delays that result in jail-like captivity are another. Loyalty programs, however, won't appeal to anyone if regulators get involved.
Yeah, I have no doubt that any regulation of the FFPs would cause airlines to simply end them, rather than deal with the Feds. Or at best, make them so bare-bones as to be of no real value.

The best thing to do in theory is to vote with our wallets and go to competitors. Of course, that's harder and harder to do with more consolidation and the existing airlines largely matching devals. So I guess, I don't know what the answer is.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
That's great but the partner award chart then just makes things more confusing for people. Technically, the major loss is now no partner first awards at normal prices. They shoul have just blocked partner first completely like DL does and just raise mileage a bit instead of coming up with this separate chart. Its confusing for the average consumer
Right...because you think this board would have had fewer complaints if they completely took out the option for *A F awards than making them more expensive? And who defines what "normal" prices are. Sure, you know what UA had as "normal" in the past. But "normal" prices for airfare have also gone up pretty much everywhere. Both in Y and premium cabins. You'll need to adjust for the new normal - that's on pretty much all carriers.

I don't buy the chart confusion argument you're making. Sure, not quite as simple, but its not that complicated either. When you speak of average travelers, there are probably a handful at most that are looking for premium cabin awards, much less those that are looking for partner F. And I bet most of the average travelers who want to use their mileage to splurge on premium cabin will be more than happy in UA BF.

Plus, these average travelers might not be as travel savvy as most of us on here, but that doesn't mean they can't download and understand the award chart.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 1:42 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Was having dinner with colleagues in Seattle on Friday night and one shows me on his app 900K miles in his account. I told him about the massive deval in MP and he had no idea. He was a GS 1K -

He asked, "well are they [UA] going to distinguish between the 'new' and 'old' miles?" I said "nope, we get screwed all together at once."

When is UA planning to inform non-FTers what's happening? There's going to be a lot of shocked flyers next year.

Also, on the flight over, the intro video talks about the MP program and all the benefits of being able to fly Star Alliance carriers. What they fail to mention is as of Feb 2014, the entire program is being devalued.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
This link is for all those who think that "we" (either FTers or FTers + blog readers) only amount to a tiny slice of the program redemptions...mind you, all those seats disappeared in just a day or two...

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...ss-seats-book/
Old Nov 10, 2013, 2:29 pm

NYC Based, Goal is to fly LH F on 744 and A380 NYC-FRA(maximize my time in the FCT for a welcme and gd bye party)-KIX\NRT for April\May 2014, after easter holiday Should I ticket the following before Jan 31st 2013 devaluatin then cancel and re book in April\May 2014 with a date change for the following:

1. NYC>FRA>PEK> KIX or NRT more time in the FCT

Or

2. NYC>FRA>KIX or NRT but less time in the FCT but space on these flights has higher chances to open based on what im seeing on ual.com

3. Ultimate dream Flight would be JFK>FRA>SIN>BKK>KIX\NRT but I "think" that is way way to risky on FRA-SIN with almost never LH F Availability.
Any other suggestions? welcome..

Thanks-
Old Nov 10, 2013, 2:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
This link is for all those who think that "we" (either FTers or FTers + blog readers) only amount to a tiny slice of the program redemptions...mind you, all those seats disappeared in just a day or two...

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...ss-seats-book/
Lucky did post in that blog

November 9th, 2013 at 12:19 pm

lucky said,

@ ABC @ ucipass – Keep in mind that United MileagePlus members redeemed something like 4.7 million awards in 2012 (awards, not miles). So while I’m quite proud of what we booked in a short period of time, our ~1,000 awards are indeed a pretty small fraction of the overall program.
Averaging nearly 13K award redemptions daily, so this land rush was still just a few percentage point blimp over a couple days.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Yeah, I have no doubt that any regulation of the FFPs would cause airlines to simply end them, rather than deal with the Feds. Or at best, make them so bare-bones as to be of no real value.

The best thing to do in theory is to vote with our wallets and go to competitors. Of course, that's harder and harder to do with more consolidation and the existing airlines largely matching devals. So I guess, I don't know what the answer is.
We are in complete agreement. The options for which to vote are indeed becoming more limited. That does make a switch much more challenging.

In theory, a real competitor should rise out of the opportunities that will be presented with the continuing devaluations. In reality, setting up an airline is far too cost prohibitive, and getting the slots adds the biggest challenge. It would take an existing carrier to see the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, and I don't see any of them being so motivated. All the current players are enjoying the same devaluations.

Those who differ in opinion are, I believe, good intentioned. I think they fail to see the unintended consequences, which we have both pointed out would be further devaluation prior to any regulation to the point of being self-defensively very low value to FFers.

What I'll never understand is why those who see government as the answer so often find sarcasm and personal attack as acceptable means of communicating a difference of opinion. It's OK, though. Right or wrong, I'll continue to take the high road when expressing my views. I'm not responsible for the actions or opinions of anyone but me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.