Wiki Posts
Search

Forced bag check w a fee

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
If the rule forces people to check bags that would reasonably fit on the plane, then it's idiotic. Head to Europe and enjoy the bins stupidly filled at 15% capacity with jackets and loose bottles of duty-free liquor, and the idiotic wait at the baggage carousel. I'll stay here in the US, enjoying sensible use of space and getting off the plane and right out the door of the airport.

Do your carry-ons fit completely in the sizer? Have you checked?

The rule as applied on the hundreds of UA flights I've flown is that gate-checking is free.
The rules are the rules. You can't pick and choose the ones that you like. I fly all over Europe with various airlines and it is a non-event when people respect the rules. I can't say I have ever seen it at 15% but then again I have never bothered looking. The only flight that I have ever seen as a drama with passengers shouting, full-on dykwia antics, is the BA LHR-TLV-LHR journey. Now that beats anything I have ever seen, even in the US.

All my carry-ons fit in the sizer nicely. If I am in any doubt I just go soft sided and that will fit in any sizer.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
I must be loathed by many here. I carry-on three bags every time I fly. The third is medical, therefore allowed and does not count as one of the two I carry on.

My hanging bag is often STUFFED because UA is so tight about their weight limits for checked items. As a 1K, I get three bags at 70 pounds, but at 71 pounds I am charged $400 extra per bag for a flight USA-Latin America. That hanging bag wouldn't fit into a sizer if my life depended on it, but it always fits without effort into the bin above my front cabin seat on any mainline.

My laptop case is so thick that I can almost always count on a fight to fit it under the seat in front of me. Ironically, it fits better on the rare occasion that I'm in E, as there is less "stuff" built in under those seats. Under seat storage in J or F has been seriously compromised by all the enclosures for whatever electronics may be offered on any given plane.

Any time I get an offer to check my hanging bag for free at the gate, I take it. I always travel with three checked bags, so I consider that to be a big fat bonus to get it off my shoulder and into the cargo hold.

If the airlines are going to start enforcing the bag size, then I would suggest the far bigger problem (no pun intended) is the passengers who don't fit into their seats. Next to the bag sizer, they could have a butt sizer. "If your butt won't fit here..." would be something I know that a lot of E pax would appreciate. Bags are the last thing on one's mind when the person next to them is taking up the entire armrest and 1/3 of their seat. The longer the flight, the greater the torture.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I can't believe that this "rules is rules" bs is coming from adults... and I'm a lawyer!

And, for the record, if a law was really uniformly unenforced, then it's enforcement by a single rogue cop would likely be unconstitutional.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
And, for the record, if a law was really uniformly unenforced, then it's enforcement by a single rogue cop would likely be unconstitutional.
What?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 2:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This is all well and good until we see the post "the agent was too busy charging people checked bag fees to process my upgrade so I sat in Y while two F seats went out empty!"
Old Oct 13, 2013, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't believe that this "rules is rules" bs is coming from adults... and I'm a lawyer!

I would love to be a fly on the wall as you argue that in court.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Gunner14
So they were forced to pay to check bags that should have been checked to begin with? What's the issue here?
Agree. What did the agent do that's so wrong?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
If it doesn't fit you must acquit?
Johnnie Cochran.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 3:01 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by mre5765
Ding ding ding.

Indeed, when a pax drags his 70 pounder to the jetway, he is expending energy that comes from his fat reserves, thus reducing the mass carried by the plane, thereby conserving fuel and further lowering costs. Plus some pax will forget their carry ons at security screening. All in all major win for UA.
Only if he stops to release some of that processed fat into a bathroom along the way, otherwise, that fat is still in him, just in a lower state of energy, but most likely taking up the same volume (+/- and gasses expelled/taken in to assist in the conversion.)
Old Oct 13, 2013, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastair
Only if he stops to release some of that processed fat into a bathroom along the way, otherwise, that fat is still in him, just in a lower state of energy, but most likely taking up the same volume (+/- and gasses expelled/taken in to assist in the conversion.)
Don't forget the sweat that is now all over the carpet in the boarding area and areas leading to the boarding area. Thus costing UA more in cleaning costs... oh, wait, they don't clean anything. Never mind.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet

Calm down dear.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 3:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

"unconstitutional"????
Old Oct 13, 2013, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
If its within the size dimensions (and you can lift it into the bin on your own), go ahead and bring it on the plane. And if there's no room, then yes, you should get to gate check it free. Once its beyond the allowed carry-on dimensions, its not a carry-on, it should have always been a checked bag. Just because you got it to the gate yourself, doesn't change the rules,...And I still stand by my position that anyone, elite or not, including myself, should be made to pay the regular checked bag fee if a non-carry-on sized bag gets as far as the gate and has to be checked there.
If I have to pay to check a bag at check-in, yet if I get it to the gate and it's gate-checked free - why would I ever pay to check a bag?

Add me to all those who want carry on rules enforced. Boarding would be much quicker - and people with legitimate carry-on bags would not be forced to gate check due to full overhead bins. Hopefully gatelice may also be reduced as the "competition" for overhead space is reduced/eliminated

And, reducing the amount of over sized carry-ons would make de-boarding so much quicker.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Hooray! Have been waiting for them to enforce this heavily exploited loophole for some time. I do agree that the 9" dimension on the sizer is too stingy for 80% of bags that actually do fit, however something needs to be done about those sideways bags. I'd support installing partitions in the overhead bin the width of a compliant bag to prevent those who abuse the carry-on space as a way to worm out of their checked bag fee.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 4:20 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I think this should be enforced everywhere.

I specifically bought a IATA carry on, so it fits straight in and gives my fellow passengers ample space for their bags.

I don't over pack my bags and I carry what I need.

I hate when I get on the plane and find the guy in front of me with 4 bags, taking up the overhead where I was sitting (and he was sitting further back). Yes, I saw this yesterday. He said, it was his wife and kids stuff and they were in restroom, so the GA let him board. (I late found he was traveling solo, so I passed him going to use the lavatory)

I also firmly believe in first checked back free, because to me that's a reasonable expectation. And have those weights strictly enforced.

I'm glad you're not lawyer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.