Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting Result: United Explorer Card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2013, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Interesting Result: United Explorer Card

During the Continental/United merger period, my now-wife applied for both the United and Continental credit cards, and, as I recall, received 50,000 miles for each. Later, she canceled the United card.

After the merger, her Continental MC was converted into a United Explorer card, and she has retained that one.

About 2 months ago, she received a mailed offer to apply for the United Explorer card....50,000 miles. She sent it in, and was approved. Per the letter, she needed to spend $1000 within 3 months. That was accomplished, but no bonus posted. We also added me as an authorized user, and that 2nd card arrived within a week.

Today, at the end of the 2nd billing period, we're impressed to see that a bonus of 55,000 miles has posted. We almost hadn't expected it, as she already has a United Explorer card. But, wonders never cease!

Now she will cancel the ex-Continental version, and avoid paying an annual fee for perhaps 8 months, as the ex-Continental one would come up for renewal in a couple of months.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.2 MM
Very interesting, mine is still an ex-Continental one (MC)...
Old Sep 7, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Similar thing happened to me. I had a Continental OnePass Plus card (received 50K miles from opening it), went into Chase to open a savings account on another promo, and got offered a MileagePlus Explorer with another 50K signup bonus. Took it and received the 50K miles with no hassle. This was back in 2012.

If you'd like to keep the Continental card open, they have a no-fee version that earns 1 mile per $2 spent. I converted my originally-Continental card to that one. Not a good card to spend a lot of money on, obviously, but conversion is a good option if you'd like to leave the tradeline open for credit score purposes.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 2:31 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by InterFlyer
Very interesting, mine is still an ex-Continental one (MC)...
I had thought the same for my account until 2 months ago. I had been using my old CO card with an expiration date in early 2014.

About 2 months ago, I was going through a pile of old mail and opened an envelope from 8 months prior that I thought was junk mail from UA. It turned out to be 2 shiny new UA Explorer cards with the same account number as the CO card and an expiration date in 2016.

I called the authorization number and started using them.

I do everything through the web site - all statements are electronically delivered. There was nothing on the site (that I could find, anyway) that indicated they had sent me new cards,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.