Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[False Alarm] AA Imposing YQ on Int'l award tix...UA please don't follow the pack

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[False Alarm] AA Imposing YQ on Int'l award tix...UA please don't follow the pack

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by star_world
Fuel surcharge. Essentially it would mean this portion of the ticket would have to be paid, and only the fare itself would be covered by the miles. It can be significant:

Yep, in that example using miles (if YQ was charged) would only save ~30% from actually purchasing the ticket. Sometimes its even worse.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Sterndogg
Hah does seem like a "save face" response and a retreat from the backlash. Good to know though...for now.
Does seem like they did -- especially after lucky called twice and got two different people reading the same memo to him.

I asked the agent about it, and she called up the rates department to figure out why there were fuel surcharges on the ticket, because she agreed they’re not usually charged for travel on Malaysia. After a few minutes she came back and read me the memo, which stated that as of August 28 (today) American will be imposing fuel surcharges for award tickets on all carriers… even for international travel on American!
Like a few other people noted on other threads, it may be a poorly worded memo along with an a mistake made by the IT department.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
More like a rapid retreat. Looks like it's being played as with other fare increases, which is what it actually is....

Send out a trial balloon, see if anyone (UA, DL) follows suit, if not, retreat....
A definite possiblity. AA's explanation - that the change to collecting YQ was only supposed to apply to revenue tickets - makes no sense. They're already collecting YQ on revenue tickets.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
AA's explanation - that the change to collecting YQ was only supposed to apply to revenue tickets - makes no sense. They're already collecting YQ on revenue tickets.
That is what I thought - UA also

They should have blamed the confusion on Dougie and moved on.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
A definite possiblity. AA's explanation - that the change to collecting YQ was only supposed to apply to revenue tickets - makes no sense. They're already collecting YQ on revenue tickets.
Apparently not all of them...

http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...dnt-scare-you/

This clearly begs the question, why put out the memo in the first place? Didn’t American already add fuel surcharges onto revenue tickets? It turns out they weren’t (gosh I wish I had realized this earlier…).
Two airlines we did not collect from previously, as examples, were Malaysian Airlines and LOT Polish Airlines.
And indeed it was Malaysia Airlines where fuel surcharges started getting collected on award tickets (LOT is not a mileage redemption partner). So this makes sense — they programmed the change for Malaysia Airlines (among others) and it affected all bookings on Malaysia, not just revenue fares.
Overall, glad it's just a false alarm ... and maybe UA took some notes from it too (i.e. don't add YQ surcharges in the near future!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.