Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bitterroot
Updates to Wiki as of 20 January 2014

Planned changes in aircraft by date and route:

SFO -- SYD: first 772 departs SFO 27 March; turns to 840 at SYD on 29 March

LAX -- SYD: first 772 departs LAX 29 March; turn off 840-29th.

NRT -- ORD: First 744 departs NRT 27 March (aircraft turn at ORD to PVG and FRA in succession the day following arrival from NRT)
ORD -- NRT: First 744 departs ORD 31 March

ORD -- PVG: First 744 departs ORD 28 March
PVG -- ORD: First 744 departs PVG 29 March

ORD -- FRA: First 744 departs ORD 29 March
FRA -- ORD: First 744 departs FRA 30 March

NRT -- SFO: 852 to operate with 772 27 March through 31 March inclusive (772 coming out of rotation)

Or, you can just go look at the good work here (note that info posted above differs from AIRLINEROUTE info dated 4 January 2014 and before):

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/17/ua-s14update1/

Or, straight to the source if you want to do your own research:

http://www.oag.com/Global
Print Wikipost

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Why? 75% of the C seats are perfectly fine. Just stay away from the middle 10 and you're good to go.
And even those aren't too bad--I've had to "endure" them a number of times and it is not bad.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by colpuck
I just can't get excited about 2-4-2 business class on LAX-SYD. Looks like I either redeem for F or fly another carrier.
Sans the 12 bulkhead seats on a sCO 777, I wouldn't be too thrilled having my feet stuck in a tiny wedge for 14 hours either.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by colpuck
I just can't get excited about 2-4-2 business class on LAX-SYD. Looks like I either redeem for F or fly another carrier.
Fly another carrier in Y?
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Sans the 12 bulkhead seats on a sCO 777, I wouldn't be too thrilled having my feet stuck in a tiny wedge for 14 hours either.
You are free to fly another airline that better suits your needs.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Full Text of Schedule Change Announcement:

"We will announce 2014 international flying changes Saturday
Over the past several months, Network Planning worked with all of our operating divisions to develop United’s 2014 international flying plan. We will load the schedule into our system on Aug. 17. The new schedule reflects our ongoing work to put the right aircraft in the right markets to earn a sufficient return, which includes the addition of SFO-KIX (Osaka, Japan) Boeing 787 service.
First, we are moving some of our Boeing 747 flying back to ORD. Last year we decided to move all of this flying to SFO to improve the reliability of this fleet. Now that reliability has been restored, and we have a plan in place to better support the fleet, we can put the 747 on the routes that are better suited for the number of passengers the 747 carries. We will return the 747s to ORD and fly three routes: ORD-PVG (Shanghai), ORD-NRT and ORD-FRA (Frankfurt, Germany). We are matching those routes with 747s out of SFO to PVG, NRT and FRA; this route structure will continue to allow SFO maintenance to be the primary maintenance location and improve fleet profitability.
“We carefully selected these routes to generate the best performance from both a profitability and a reliability perspective,” said International Planning Managing Director Andrew Buchanan. “Our Tech Ops team did an outstanding job bringing this fleet back into an ongoing maintenance mode and are making the necessary investments to operate the aircraft reliably out of Chicago. We feel confident about moving some of them around the system carefully and selectively.”
We will also use 777s instead of 747s in the LAX-SYD (Sydney) and SFO-SYD markets and on the SFO-LHR (London-Heathrow) route. We’ll also replace a 777 with a 747 on the NRT-HNL (Honolulu) and SFO-NRT routes.
In addition to the 777 and 747 swaps, we’re also replacing a 747 with 787 service from SFO-KIX beginning April 8. “While SFO-KIX is a successful route for us, the load factor on the 777 is relatively low, so using the smaller, more efficient 787 there will improve results while allowing us to redeploy the 777 to routes with higher demand,” Andrew said.
With all of these decisions, we intend to better align capacity and operational cost of the aircraft to the amount of profitable demand in those markets.
“It’s important to keep in mind that demand and profitable demand can look very different,” Andrew said. “Our airline is a business, and businesses need to make money. We believe these changes will help us achieve a greater level of profitability for our airline, which in turn benefits our co-workers and all of our stakeholders.”
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daron4000
Over the past several months, Network Planning worked with all of our operating divisions to develop United’s 2014 international flying plan. We will load the schedule into our system on Aug. 17. The new schedule reflects our ongoing work to put the right aircraft in the right markets to earn a sufficient return, which includes the addition of SFO-KIX (Osaka, Japan) Boeing 787 service.
First, we are moving some of our Boeing 747 flying back to ORD. Last year we decided to move all of this flying to SFO to improve the reliability of this fleet. Now that reliability has been restored, and we have a plan in place to better support the fleet, we can put the 747 on the routes that are better suited for the number of passengers the 747 carries. We will return the 747s to ORD and fly three routes: ORD-PVG (Shanghai), ORD-NRT and ORD-FRA (Frankfurt, Germany). We are matching those routes with 747s out of SFO to PVG, NRT and FRA; this route structure will continue to allow SFO maintenance to be the primary maintenance location and improve fleet profitability.
“We carefully selected these routes to generate the best performance from both a profitability and a reliability perspective,” said International Planning Managing Director Andrew Buchanan. “Our Tech Ops team did an outstanding job bringing this fleet back into an ongoing maintenance mode and are making the necessary investments to operate the aircraft reliably out of Chicago. We feel confident about moving some of them around the system carefully and selectively.”
We will also use 777s instead of 747s in the LAX-SYD (Sydney) and SFO-SYD markets and on the SFO-LHR (London-Heathrow) route. We’ll also replace a 777 with a 747 on the NRT-HNL (Honolulu) and SFO-NRT routes.
In addition to the 777 and 747 swaps, we’re also replacing a 747 with 787 service from SFO-KIX beginning April 8. “While SFO-KIX is a successful route for us, the load factor on the 777 is relatively low, so using the smaller, more efficient 787 there will improve results while allowing us to redeploy the 777 to routes with higher demand,” Andrew said.
With all of these decisions, we intend to better align capacity and operational cost of the aircraft to the amount of profitable demand in those markets.
“It’s important to keep in mind that demand and profitable demand can look very different,” Andrew said. “Our airline is a business, and businesses need to make money. We believe these changes will help us achieve a greater level of profitability for our airline, which in turn benefits our co-workers and all of our stakeholders.”
But not necessarily the passengers.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There goes the 744 SFO-LHR. Bummer. Upgrades to Europe from SFO just got more impossible.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 7:57 pm

Perhaps the mods should change the thread title to reflect the changes? Also it is confirmed that the 777s flying the SYD flights will be the sUA 3-cabin ones. Already loaded into GDS, should be loaded into the reservation systems tomorrow.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: CX DM, DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Plat

We’ll also replace a 777 with a 747 on the NRT-HNL (Honolulu) and SFO-NRT routes
What does this mean? Two 747 on SFO-NRT rather than one 747 and one 777 in summer 2014?
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Perhaps the mods should change the thread title to reflect the changes? Also it is confirmed that the 777s flying the SYD flights will be the sUA 3-cabin ones. Already loaded into GDS, should be loaded into the reservation systems tomorrow.
I agree. And title should be more expansive as there are several swaps (all but one sUA it seems)

2 744 SFO-NRT is a lot of capacity yes I agree with post above.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Really shocked about this. I love the 747s and will miss flying them to Sydney (despite the delays )

Looks to be bookable (as a 3 class 777) as well:
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Now that reliability has been restored...
I think that might come as surprising news to SYD passengers given the still-reported canx incidence.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: CX DM, DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

2 744 SFO-NRT is a lot of capacity yes I agree with post above.
Both 837/838 and 853/852 now show 747.

SFO-TPE non-stop will be sUA 777.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:30 pm

Now that reliability has been restored, and we have a plan in place to better support the fleet, we can put the 747 on the routes that are better suited for the number of passengers the 747 carries

LOL!! Based on sfo - lhr -sfo converted to 747 this week and not one 931 on time, plus tonight's "train wreck" on both 901 and 930, the only route for the 747 is surely to VCV!

Last edited by Cymba; Aug 17, 2013 at 6:31 am
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Guess you missed that it is a pre-merger UA 777?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.