Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RUMOR: UA re-configuring CR7's to add 4 seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Something lifetime here and there

For UA flyers....heads up....

I heard this a couple of weeks ago through various sources and thought it was real far-fetched. However, the last few days I have heard this from a few other sources and its looking like this will be coming to a Skywest CR7 soon for all.

1) They are taking out the bulkhead (pulling the cabinet or as it is referred to by the crew as "doghouses" behind F/C.
2) Adjust the seat pitch in F/C to accommodate one more row in regular Economy.

This will add 4 more seats to E-.

Enjoy....
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
Originally Posted by goingbananas
For UA flyers....heads up....

I heard this a couple of weeks ago through various sources and thought it was real far-fetched. However, the last few days I have heard this from a few other sources and its looking like this will be coming to a Skywest CR7 soon for all.

1) They are taking out the bulkhead (pulling the cabinet or as it is referred to by the crew as "doghouses" behind F/C.
2) Adjust the seat pitch in F/C to accommodate one more row in regular Economy.

This will add 4 more seats to E-.

Enjoy....
My ride in 1D this morning on a CR7 was quite roomy with plenty of leg room. I was wondering when they were coming around to fix that.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
if they are taking out the bulkhead behind FC, does that mean row 2 will actually be able to recline?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Honestly, if true, wouldn't be surprised if they also adjust the E+ to E- ratio. Over 50% of the E seats are E+. Compare the CR7s to the E70s - CR7 have 8 rows of E+ (including exit rows - 32 of 60 seats) to E70 which has 4 rows (16 of 64). I've always wondered why the huge difference.

And I know I'm just one person, so am not a representative sample of passengers, much less routes flown, but almost every single CR7 I've flown in for the past several years, E- is full in advance, often well in advance, with E+ less then half full until check in/gate. My guess is, more than any other aircraft type, they're giving away more E+ on this aircraft type than others, and they probably could make more revenue with more seats and less E+ here.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:42 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
my understanding is that these planes are limited by the scope contract. I don't see how UAL can add seats without changing its agreement with the pilots. Its the same reason why the 190s will have such a nice configuration.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Honestly, if true, wouldn't be surprised if they also adjust the E+ to E- ratio. Over 50% of the E seats are E+. Compare the CR7s to the E70s - CR7 have 8 rows of E+ (including exit rows - 32 of 60 seats) to E70 which has 4 rows (16 of 64). I've always wondered why the huge difference.

And I know I'm just one person, so am not a representative sample of passengers, much less routes flown, but almost every single CR7 I've flown in for the past several years, E- is full in advance, often well in advance, with E+ less then half full until check in/gate. My guess is, more than any other aircraft type, they're giving away more E+ on this aircraft type than others, and they probably could make more revenue with more seats and less E+ here.
I've found this odd as well, and heard several conversations among non-elite pax on these flights about how "it wouldn't let me select a seat without paying, so I just waited and I got this one for free."
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spin88
my understanding is that these planes are limited by the scope contract. I don't see how UAL can add seats without changing its agreement with the pilots. Its the same reason why the 190s will have such a nice configuration.
UaX CR7s seat 66 currently. I believe the scope limitation is 70. So, that actually lends credence to this rumor.

And UA (or Express partner) has not ordered E190s. The new planes coming are E175s. Smaller planes.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by spin88
http://www.audriesaircraftanalysis.c...s-pilot-scope/

Number of 50 seat aircraft must remain below 90% of the Mainline Narrow-Body fleet (currently 548 mainline narrow-body aircraft).
Allowed to have up to 255 regional aircraft in the (51-76) seat range.
Aircraft must be certified below 86,000 lb max gross limit.
130 of those aircraft can be (71-76) seat aircraft without restriction.
80 % of Regional flights must be below 900 SM.
5% of flights between Hubs may be Regional flights.

The UX CR7s today have 66 seats. So four more seats is 70 and so within the scope clause.

But DLs and AAs CR7s have 9 F seats, and at most 65 seats. DL does this with 8 EC seats plus 4 exit row seats. US's CR7 has 67 seats, 9 of which are F.

It would truly be counter productive if UA reduced the F to Y ratio. It should add three more F seats.

Total pitch, allowing 4 inches for bulk head :

2 * 37 + 8 * 34 + 7 * 31 + 4 = 567 inches

New total pitch:

3 * 34 + 4 * 34 + 11 * 30 = 568 inches. If they need one more inche they can cut it from row 1.

9 + 60 = 69 seats.

Last edited by mre5765; Aug 6, 2013 at 7:31 pm
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by davewang202
My ride in 1D this morning on a CR7 was quite roomy with plenty of leg room. I was wondering when they were coming around to fix that.
I was in 1D on a CR7 (F) yesterday and 3D on an E170 (E+) Friday, and the E+ E170 seat felt way more comfortable (and had more leg room.) The problem with the CRxs are that the seats are at best 17 inch wide at E and E+ and 19 inch wide at F (less on rows that have tables on arm-rests). This is as narrow as it gets. Worse than an E145. Add that curvature on the window seats, which you can feel after an hour or so on the plane, and....

They are just a step above CR2s (at least you don't have to contort to look outside the window if you are over 5'4" like the CR2). Hope they get rid of them all and replace them with E170/5 planes. Heck, I would not mind if they replace some of the 20 year old A320s with E190s...
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by bse118
UaX CR7s seat 66 currently. I believe the scope limitation is 70. So, that actually lends credence to this rumor.

And UA (or Express partner) has not ordered E190s. The new planes coming are E175s. Smaller planes.
This is correct and why they waited until they got agreement from the CAL and UAL MEC's.

Originally Posted by eleeut
if they are taking out the bulkhead behind FC, does that mean row 2 will actually be able to recline?
I will have to confirm if row 2 will have restrictions on the recline. AFAIK, there shouldn't be.

Just an FYI....there was also a significant discussion to add 1 more row of F/C, but they felt there would be a need for too much reconfiguration. You never know, they may switch to a 9 and 60 configuration, but I doubt it.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 8, 2013 at 5:12 am Reason: multi-quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:30 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I doubt they will reduce the pitch in F as it is 37", they most likely will reduce the number of E+ seats to make room for another row of E- and also with the removal of the bulkhead they can move row 3 closer to row 2.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by goingbananas
Just an FYI....there was also a significant discussion to add 1 more row of F/C, but they felt there would be a need for too much reconfiguration. You never know, they may switch to a 9 and 60 configuration, but I doubt it.
How sad. An opportunity to actually make the plane better for customers *and* potentially more profitable by packing another 3 (FC) seats in passed up...
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
I was in 1D on a CR7 (F) yesterday and 3D on an E170 (E+) Friday, and the E+ E170 seat felt way more comfortable (and had more leg room.) The problem with the CRxs are that the seats are at best 17 inch wide at E and E+ and 19 inch wide at F (less on rows that have tables on arm-rests). They are just a step above CR2s (at least you don't have to contort to look outside the window if you are over 5'4" like the CR2). Hope they get rid of them all and replace them with E170/5 planes. Heck, I would not mind if they replace some of the 20 year old A320s with E190s...
I actually have quite liked the CRJ700 in both cabins. I of course recognize that this is just my opinion versus yours, but I found it a LOT different than the CRJ2
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by lensman
How sad. An opportunity to actually make the plane better for customers *and* potentially more profitable by packing another 3 (FC) seats in passed up...
If you can't sell 3 more F seats, why would you pass up the opportunity to add more seats you could sell?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fly18725
If you can't sell 3 more F seats, why would you pass up the opportunity to add more seats you could sell?
Well, you can always oversell Y to fill F. So that changes the dynamic a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.