wallandmain - fake or real?

Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:44 am
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by martinwhite
The Wall&Main offer in conjunction with United is not only legitimate, it's one of the most valuable frequent flyer offers ever seen!
If by "valuable" you mean "expensive." But it's not a good buy. We're talking $3,300 for a business class return flight to Europe with capacity restrictions and no earned lifetime miles/PQMs.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Scottrick
If by "valuable" you mean "expensive." But it's not a good buy. We're talking $3,300 for a business class return flight to Europe with capacity restrictions and no earned lifetime miles/PQMs.
That is the understatement of the week, if not month.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:09 am
Company Representative, United Airlines

Hi everyone,

We do indeed have an agreement with Wall&Main, where MileagePlus members can earn award miles. As the above posters have mentioned, you can find full details at www.wallandmain.com.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:18 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
It's important to keep in mind that this is a straight miles for cash deal. Some of the press I've read about this has thrown around the words "investment" and "investors," which is misleading.

If you participate in this, you're not obtaining any equity in the company, you're not buying shares of anything - you're simply buying miles.
And the "opportunity" to participate -- The Platinum package includes
This package was designed for the Founding Champion who is ready to see the world traveling in business class or first class. This package comes with:

1,000,000 MileagePlus award miles
One year complimentary subscription to TripIt Pro
Early preview of crowdfunding deals*
One year Econoday Desktop and Mobile Calendar
Eligible for Wall&Main advisory panels
No cutbacks in oversubscribed deals*
Founding Champion webinars
Knowledge Center access
A brick in our Wall of Champions
Appears the "benefits" are the similar for all the levels except for the miles.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 4travel2
Can anyone verify the elite status offer by wallandmain
Yes - I got an e-mail about this from the "other FF site" that I belong to.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:23 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was spammed for this offer by MilePoint this morning. The writeup from MP, which presumably Randy Petersen went along with (sadly), says that if you can find a redemption worth 10-14 cents a mile, it's a great deal. Hey, if you can regularly find awards where points are worth 10-14 cents a mile, you don't need Wall&Main to come out ahead!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
I always wanted a brick in the Wall of Champions.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
There's something that still strikes me as vaguely fishy here. Despite UAInsider's confirmation, one cannot forget the old addage about following the money...

1) The price is effectively the same as UA's own Award Accelerator offer. (Unless you have an Asian itinerary, where a 75000-mile purchase can go as low as ~2.1cpm)

2) UA caps direct purchases at 100k per year. Why would they allow a 3rd-party to both violate their own rules AND undercut them on price for direct mileage purchases (non-Award Accelerator rates)?

Finally, in an era where they're already slowly restricting availability for award seats, why would they want to bring in another partner that is going to do almost nothing (that I can tell) other than contribute to outstanding point liabilities?

Dunno... it certainly sounds like a legitimate offer if you for some reason HAVE to have 1M points right away and can't just buy Award Accelerator rates cheaper. I suppose I've just been conditioned to fear the Greeks even when they come bearing gifts! (And, in this case, not even particularly good ones...)
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by planeluvr
I always wanted a brick in the Wall of Champions.
Freakin' hilarious
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Darlox
1) The price is effectively the same as UA's own Award Accelerator offer. (Unless you have an Asian itinerary, where a 75000-mile purchase can go as low as ~2.1cpm)
The price is 3cpm. UA charges 3.5cpm + 7.5% excise tax.

2) UA caps direct purchases at 100k per year. Why would they allow a 3rd-party to both violate their own rules AND undercut them on price for direct mileage purchases (non-Award Accelerator rates)?
Because W&M paid cash up front for all those miles.

Finally, in an era where they're already slowly restricting availability for award seats, why would they want to bring in another partner that is going to do almost nothing (that I can tell) other than contribute to outstanding point liabilities?
ibid.

If you're crazy enough to make the purchase at least use the click-through from MilePoint and get a free elite status out of it.

This type of deal isn't targeted at the people who know the intricacies of the programs nearly as well as many of the readers of FT/MP do.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe you've heard of this little bank called Chase...
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Maybe you've heard of this little bank called Chase...
That's a different beast. It's not a direct mileage purchase, and the incremental cost to buyers there is, from one perspective, $0. Technically, the merchants you're buying your widgets and services from are footing the bill for your miles!!

sbm12 is closer to the mark, I figure. Money talks, and what difference does common sense make if someone is willing to pay UA 5- or 6-figures for a few million miles??
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:28 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by sbm12
This type of deal isn't targeted at the people who know the intricacies of the programs nearly as well as many of the readers of FT/MP do.
It is targeted at a unique market segment that economists and business analysts often call SUCKERS. @:-)
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Exactly... looking at the website it's hard to find any meaningful content, it's nothing more than a site that sells miles and pretend it's some king of crowd-funding portal (which it clearly isn't at this time).
They must get those miles really cheap to pay for all the advertising MP and some of the blogs are doing........and still earn a bundle on selling them.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RTW1
... They must get those miles really cheap to pay for all the advertising MP and some of the blogs are doing........and still earn a bundle on selling them.
or it could be break even / loss leader as a method to collect an address book / build relationship with high rollers. Also a way to gather alot of exposure that might be otherwise hard to obtain.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 16, 2013 at 1:56 pm Reason: typo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.