Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Increases Award Ticket Changes for Non-Premier Members as of 19-Jun-2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Increases Award Ticket Changes for Non-Premier Members as of 19-Jun-2013

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by txp
This is precisely why they did it. To discourage people for buying "free options" to travel and cancel if something better opens up.

In the end, this change, together with the elite qualification change, can only enhance the value of MP miles. I am all for it.
I agree. The booking of "options" reduces inventory. The change will entice people to book awards that they are more likely to use. Also agree re elite qualification change -should provide more benefits for remaining 1Ks, giving more benefits to those (in general) who fly/spend more. Now, if they'll only put Plats in boarding group 2....
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Points Guy did a piece on the new charges, comparing to other US carriers. Guess what? UA used to be by far the most lenient on these fees; with the changes, it's now middle of the pack - higher on some (redeposit), lower on others (certain itinerary changes).

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/06/unit...rlines-follow/
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:38 pm

Thankfully I just redeemed half a million miles for the family 3 days ago before the increase (as a non-elite)
Time to blow the other half million, cancel my UA club card and continue earning /spending elsewhere.
Very Sneaky...very very sneaky. Well done UA!
Old Jun 20, 2013, 4:19 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
sorry to disagree with so many but both this and the PDQ changes can only make MP better nd our mileage worth more. UA needs to make money as well and it was only a matter of time before they realized o many people were just holding space on UA hoping for something better to come up. Im all for that, I do it all the time but if thats the case we either should be willing to pay for it or be Plat/1K. (better if they just make it 1K)

Will be interesting to see if things get better for us 1K's once the PDQ takes effect and these fees start hitting people in the wallet

^^UA for MOST of these changes
BUT
for the 016 restriction
Old Jun 20, 2013, 5:13 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
The one question I have is whether people are warned about these change fees on booking, as a new / different policy from what they knew before? If not, then that aspect would be non-transparent / sneaky.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
The changes are good for HVFs.

1) Fewer 1K, Plat and Gold so fewer award miles issued and better chances for CPU and GPU.

2) Fewer people bookings award trips as options.....more availability earlier.

3) If I was UA, I'd do all the bad stuff at once, so maybe 1k are spared. Who knows, might even be some actual enhancements announced. JSMI is keenly aware of the defection of HVF flyers (it's not just us moaning on FT). He's been pretty open with the investor community about this.

Hope I'm right.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by 5khours
better chances for CPU and GPU.

Hope I'm right.
Very unlikely you are even close to right on this one
Old Jun 20, 2013, 8:26 am

If a change is made to an itinerary booked prior to 6/19, would another change require a fee (it's been re-ticketed)? Or would we go by the original ticket date?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 12:01 pm

i'd like some confirmation on this as well.

thanks
Originally Posted by zux85
If a change is made to an itinerary booked prior to 6/19, would another change require a fee (it's been re-ticketed)? Or would we go by the original ticket date?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
More nickel and diming on United. This airline has gone downhill since the merger. Miss the good ole days.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
sorry to disagree with so many but both this and the PDQ changes can only make MP better nd our mileage worth more. UA needs to make money as well and it was only a matter of time before they realized o many people were just holding space on UA hoping for something better to come up. Im all for that, I do it all the time but if thats the case we either should be willing to pay for it or be Plat/1K. (better if they just make it 1K)

Will be interesting to see if things get better for us 1K's once the PDQ takes effect and these fees start hitting people in the wallet

^^UA for MOST of these changes
BUT
for the 016 restriction
Originally Posted by 5khours
The changes are good for HVFs.

1) Fewer 1K, Plat and Gold so fewer award miles issued and better chances for CPU and GPU.

2) Fewer people bookings award trips as options.....more availability earlier.

3) If I was UA, I'd do all the bad stuff at once, so maybe 1k are spared. Who knows, might even be some actual enhancements announced. JSMI is keenly aware of the defection of HVF flyers (it's not just us moaning on FT). He's been pretty open with the investor community about this.

Hope I'm right.
The problem with these changes is you have those able to spend their way to status happy about this while those who can't fade away. What happens when your 1K benefits cut get next? And they will get 'enhanced'.

The reason status means less now has less to do with the number of elites (though they do have an impact) and more to do with how this airline is being run. With these recent moves $MI/J has effectively created a wedge issue where the pax throw stones at each other rather than the proper target, $MI/J and the BoD.

Do you really think upgrades are going to come easier now? Do you really think award availability will open? Sorry, you're fooling yourselves if you believe UA's actions over the past 2 years will somehow change because of a small winnowing of elites.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by dsquared37
The problem with these changes is you have those able to spend their way to status happy about this while those who can't fade away. What happens when your 1K benefits cut get next? And they will get 'enhanced'.

The reason status means less now has less to do with the number of elites (though they do have an impact) and more to do with how this airline is being run. With these recent moves $MI/J has effectively created a wedge issue where the pax throw stones at each other rather than the proper target, $MI/J and the BoD.

Do you really think upgrades are going to come easier now? Do you really think award availability will open? Sorry, you're fooling yourselves if you believe UA's actions over the past 2 years will somehow change because of a small winnowing of elites.
Hard to argue with your logic but we can always hope for the best (at least until we see the worst) At the very least, the new fees should open more award space simply because those that were holding awards and waiting for something better may find that to expensive to do anymore. On the other hand I imagine that 90% of the people that do that are Plat/1K already anyway and we still have no fees so at best, more award space and at worst, no impact
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Hard to argue with your logic but we can always hope for the best (at least until we see the worst) At the very least, the new fees should open more award space simply because those that were holding awards and waiting for something better may find that to expensive to do anymore. On the other hand I imagine that 90% of the people that do that are Plat/1K already anyway and we still have no fees so at best, more award space and at worst, no impact
Of course you want to hope for the best but on the other hand there is reality.

And you're absolutely correct that the people who 'hold' awards (if that's even a problem) are the ones with miles to burn... and that isn't the GM with a pittance of miles.

None of the new moves will help elites but each of them is designed (or hoped) to cause intra-pax squables which take the heat of the real culprits: $MI/J and the BoD.

In the end this will not benefit elites in the least. Sad to say and I truly hope my pessimism is incorrect.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
sorry to disagree with so many but both this and the PDQ changes can only make MP better nd our mileage worth more.
Well until a revenue based redemption chart is introduced
Old Jun 21, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by dsquared37
None of the new moves will help elites but each of them is designed (or hoped) to cause intra-pax squables which take the heat of the real culprits: $MI/J and the BoD.
This seems a bit silly. Where are these intra-pax squabbles happening except on Flyertalk? You really think they're sitting in a smoke-filled room thinking "Hmm, our profitability is really bad right now. I know how we can cover it up - let's make our customers fight against each other instead of us!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.