Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Broken bag in the overhead - what should have happened?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2013, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC

Long story short, a passenger's bag was moved back several rows to accommodate a crew bag with a broken handle which would not retract. Crew bag had to be put in sideways, so they pulled the other passenger's bag out to make room. Of course, passenger protested. Claim from FA was that crew bag was there first, so tough luck. Guy protested, a supervisor came on board, and apologized to the guy, saying that should not have happened and that they were wrong.

After we took off, the FA came up to the guy again and basically told him it was his fault because the broken bag was originally in sideways and he moved it around so he could fit his bag. Also, he should be thankful because the bag was on the plane.

So what should have happened here? I'd be pretty annoyed if they moved my bag to accommodate a busted crew bag. Also, they're always saying things like your bag has to fit in wheels or handle first, otherwise it has to be checked. Special treatment for crew?

I don't know if the other guy got the FA's name, but I certainly would have. I did overhear her telling him she would not give him the name of the owner of the bag, because she was traveling as a passenger (dead-heading? buddy pass? who knows), not working crew.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 5:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
If the passenger moved the bag so his could fit, I don't feel sorry for him at all.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
I fail to see when there is a problem with crew bags why the situation isn't defused by checking other options; even checking the crew bag. Why is this Ever a passenger problem.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Long story short, a passenger's bag was moved back several rows to accommodate a crew bag with a broken handle which would not retract. Crew bag had to be put in sideways, so they pulled the other passenger's bag out to make room. Of course, passenger protested. Claim from FA was that crew bag was there first, so tough luck. Guy protested, a supervisor came on board, and apologized to the guy, saying that should not have happened and that they were wrong.

After we took off, the FA came up to the guy again and basically told him it was his fault because the broken bag was originally in sideways and he moved it around so he could fit his bag. Also, he should be thankful because the bag was on the plane.

So what should have happened here? I'd be pretty annoyed if they moved my bag to accommodate a busted crew bag. Also, they're always saying things like your bag has to fit in wheels or handle first, otherwise it has to be checked. Special treatment for crew?

I don't know if the other guy got the FA's name, but I certainly would have. I did overhear her telling him she would not give him the name of the owner of the bag, because she was traveling as a passenger (dead-heading? buddy pass? who knows), not working crew.
As I see it , after the supervisor apologized, no FA should have commented further to the OP except to apologize further. Blaming/criticizing the passenger during flight was inappropriate and should be reported. If the issue concerned a nonrev bag, that person should be at risk for losing nonrev privileges as nonrev travel should never occur at the expense of a paying passenger's convenience.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Also, they're always saying things like your bag has to fit in wheels or handle first, otherwise it has to be checked. Special treatment for crew?
Realistically, yes. FAs keep their bags with them. Do you honestly think that sounds unreasonable under the circumstances?

They may need the stuff in them to do their jobs properly -- if nothing else it contains their makeup and hairbrush, and FAs are expected to stay well groomed, they can't afford to have their bag locked away for the whole day.

As for the actual situation, it sounds like the passenger was in the wrong, if the crew bag was really in there first and he moved it. It sounds like he needs to chill the hell out about the fact that his bag got moved several rows back. On the other hand, it's possible that better service from the FAs would have avoided an irate customer -- i.e. telling him "I'm terribly sorry sir, but I'm afraid that this locker won't close with your bag in it, we're going to have to move it several rows back" instead of just unceremoniously shoving it and then telling him he was wrong.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 2mm 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
It is your problem, not UAL
Old Jun 16, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
I really don't see it's a matter of the broken bag belongs a crew member, or a passenger.
Since the overhead bin is a shared space, if a bag needs to be moved to/replaced in another place (but not gate check) in order to accommodate more people's stuff, what's the problem?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 6:52 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by c.l.i.a
I really don't see it's a matter of the broken bag belongs a crew member, or a passenger.
Since the overhead bin is a shared space, if a bag needs to be moved to/replaced in another place (but not gate check) in order to accommodate more people's stuff, what's the problem?
Bingo ^
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If a bag doesn't fit wheels or handle first it should be gate checked, period. If it is a FA bag put it in the closet if it doesn't fit wheels or handle first. Can't tell you how many people I see just put their bag in sideways without even trying wheels or handle first, even when it is obvious it would fit wheels or handle first.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Putting the broken bag of passenger/FA issues aside, IMO it is best for passengers NOT to arrange other passengers bags no matter how badly stowed -- call a crew member and ask for their assistance. Once passengers take the license to move bags around you are opening a can of worms and potential confrontation -- has happen on my flight last week .
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I've noticed a sticker the other day on a bin that say "Crew bags only". When did that start?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:08 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Once passengers take the license to move bags around you are opening a can of worms and potential confrontation -- has happen on my flight last week .
Yep--saw someone last week rearranging bags, then cramming his backpack into the overhead (rather than stowing under the seat) on top of other pax items. Wasn't a happy situation once the other pax noticed...

Originally Posted by omegadeal
I've noticed a sticker the other day on a bin that say "Crew bags only". When did that start?
Been that way for a long time IIRC. That's one reason if I'm in the 1st couple of rows I try to board as early as possible, because on many a/c the first bin is reserved for first aid kits, flight crew items, crew bags, etc.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 9:26 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by omegadeal
It's been around for a while as I remember seeing it for the first time around 6-9 months ago

Originally Posted by Baze
If a bag doesn't fit wheels or handle first it should be gate checked, period. If it is a FA bag put it in the closet if it doesn't fit wheels or handle first. Can't tell you how many people I see just put their bag in sideways without even trying wheels or handle first, even when it is obvious it would fit wheels or handle first.
I disagree as there were some aircraft (before the o/h bins were extended [and perhaps some of the existing PMUA 57's?]) where a std 22" rollaboard will not fit either with the wheels facing in or the wheels facing out and if it's an allowed carry-on, then one should be able to bring it on-board as that is not the fault of the pax. Now if a pax "doesn't even try" to stow their bag wheels in or wheels out first, that is an entirely different story
Old Jun 17, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JeffS
If the passenger moved the bag so his could fit, I don't feel sorry for him at all.
Absolutely. Have we lost all aspect of "passenger responsibility" on this board? The crew bag was turned that way so as to fit in the overhead.

Even if it was not crew, who cares?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by exerda
Yep--saw someone last week rearranging bags, then cramming his backpack into the overhead (rather than stowing under the seat) on top of other pax items. Wasn't a happy situation once the other pax noticed...
I generally agree that it's usually a bad thing when people rearrange other people's stuff in the bins. That said, I hate when people do a terrible job arranging their stuff, and then stare at you with a look of sheer terror when you attempt to fix their mistake.

No sir, I'm not going put my bag somewhere else just because you've decided you get to lay your suit jacket lengthwise along the bottom of an entire overhead bin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.