Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA first class vs NH business class vs CA first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt

I've never been in business or first class before and I wanted to know from the veterans which is nicer?

I have enough miles (70,000) for a one way redemption on United from SFO/SJC to KUL.

1. Business class on NH which is a 787 from SJC to NRT with a first class on TG Boeing 747 from HND to BKK or
2. First class on CA which is a 777-300 from LAX to PEK with a business class on PEK to SIN on SQ Boeing 777
3. First class on UA which is a 747 from SFO-HKG

The other legs are shorter and I don't really care about them.

Last edited by madguy2; Jun 10, 2013 at 2:13 pm
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:29 pm

NH Biz/TG Biz?

I'd do the NH 787 in a heartbeat. New plane, great service (arguably better than UA F), better food IMO. But I'd do NH C -> TG J...and not spend more miles for F on the shorter HND-BKK flight. Although TG was flying the 777s with suites when I last took that route...so maybe its worth it to you.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much!

Interestingly enough, the flight is actually NH SJC->NRT and HND->BKK ... Which means i arrive into narita and depart from Haneda. I wonder how if they'll transfer my bags for me right....
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:50 pm

Here's a recent take by a blogger:

http://thebat-sf.com/2013/01/14/infl...-tokyo-photos/

I forgot to mention...NH's staggered seats in C are awesome too.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Honestly, I'd save your miles and just fly business. You ask which is nicer, well F is certainly nicer, but especially on these routings when you would be paying for F but flying business for a chunk of the trip it does not seem worth it to me.

A few comments on the itineraries proposed
- TG has a wide variety of equipment on the Tokyo-BKK legs. You would want to try and get onto one with the new business or F seats. You would have to handle NRT-HND transfer yourself (with bags)
- Reports from Air China are not positive, to this would be my last choice

Since KUL is your ultimate destination, I think easiest would be SJC-NRT-KUL on ANA if you can find the routing.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
This would be my choice

#2>#1>>>>>>>>#3

My thought is if I am spending F mileage - I want F on my long leg - and CA77W (not the 747) F is amazing (LX seating).

While ANA J is nice - its not F - its not a private suite like CA F, and you are paying for F, may as well fly it

Can you do CA 777 F to PEK - NH 787 J to HND/NRT, and connect to TG F NRT/HND-BKK

Originally Posted by noah
- Reports from Air China are not positive, to this would be my last choice
Maybe from like 2003.

Check out recent posts in these threads. WAY above anything UA offers.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...0er-seats.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...h-beijing.html

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 10, 2013 at 2:09 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Can't speak to CA, but NH new J while nice is very tight...especially if you're tall.

If it were I, I take UA GF to NRT and then catch the late afternoon (5:30pm?) TG flight to BKK, which is on an A380. The HND<>BKK flight normally operates with an old 747 config these days, and you don't want the hassle of the xfer from NRT to HND.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
I have done all three, including connecting from NRT-HND by shuttle bus (about 60min)...I would choose NH for the overall best experience...UA F for the best bed...and my last choice would be CA. If you are interested in excellent service, good wine and food and a good seat for sleeping, choose NH. If sleep is the most important factor (as it would be for me) UA's F suite is the best of the three.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:13 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 5khours
Can't speak to CA, but NH new J while nice is very tight...especially if you're tall.

If it were I, I take UA GF to NRT and then catch the late afternoon (5:30pm?) TG flight to BKK, which is on an A380. The HND<>BKK flight normally operates with an old 747 config these days, and you don't want the hassle of the xfer from NRT to HND.
NH new J is extremely impersonal, due to the large number of seats. Not as bad as EK J on the A380, but that's another topic.

NH new F (NRT-ORD) was very nice...everything, except for the IFE. Of course, if you have your own slew of gadgets, then it won't matter.

I recently flew CA regional J (A330, HKG-PEK), and while the service was good and everything kept clean, catering is IMO iffy when it comes to HK/China/Taiwanese carriers.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
NH new J is extremely impersonal, due to the large number of seats.
Actually, I LOVE how "impersonal" it is...those high walls, you can't even see anyone around you...feels very private and suite-like. So if there's 10 people or 100 in the cabin, it's less relevant to me. YMMV of course.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:14 am
Suspended

I went ahead with the CA PEK first class ticket primarily because it is first class for the long haul and all the other itineraries had a long stayover in BKK or SIN. The NH business class was interesting but I want to primarily sleep on the long haul and the CA first class was better.

BKK doesn't have a sleeping lounge either, even for first class, so I passed on that.

Thanks so much for the information guys!
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by madguy2
Which means i arrive into narita and depart from Haneda. I wonder how if they'll transfer my bags for me right....
FWIW, you are required to pick up your bags from NRT and transfer them with you to HND. They do not forward bags from NRT to HND vv on your behalf.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by loongy22
I went ahead with the CA PEK first class ticket primarily because it is first class for the long haul and all the other itineraries had a long stayover in BKK or SIN. The NH business class was interesting but I want to primarily sleep on the long haul and the CA first class was better.

BKK doesn't have a sleeping lounge either, even for first class, so I passed on that.

you took the CA 777 from LAX not the 747 from SFO right? There is a big difference.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:29 pm

Do you know madguy2? Inquiring mind wants to know

Originally Posted by loongy22

Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
FWIW, you are required to pick up your bags from NRT and transfer them with you to HND. They do not forward bags from NRT to HND vv on your behalf.
I called up United's reservations desk and after waiting 2 hours was told that they would forward my bags for me from NRT to HND. I don't know if this actually happens in real life though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.