Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2013, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
UA botched these seats

About to fly ORD-LGA in them. Thank god a short flight - these are overly firm, and as noted up thread, the seat cushion is just way too short. I can foresee people getting neck strain too as the back is pushed too far out compared to the headrest.

RIP the nice Airbus Y seat comfort.

EDIT: after spending a body numbing 100 minutes in those seats, I can safely say it's the single worst Y seat I've ever sat in. Everything ergonomically about it is wrong - an hour after landing, my back is still sore. It's tough to believe they were ever tested on actual human beings...maybe they weren't, could have been just crash test dummies.

I asked the FA, "so you're going to have to do manual announcements on these planes going forward?" He said yes, and all the FAs hated it - and couldn't believe UA was ripping out all the free entertainment too. Wifi was broken as well.

A major thumbs down all around.

Last edited by UA-NYC; Sep 8, 2013 at 8:38 pm Reason: Flight post-mortem
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I caught a new fitted out A320 from ORD-YVR last week. It was a 4 hour flight, and I was in 20D (exit aisle).

My overall impression is that the seats are just a small step down from the old Airbus seats - particularly in their well-worn state.

It's part of the same overall pattern at United, things just get a little bit worse each year - upgrade %, F/J food, channel 9 availability, Mileage Plus rules, 1K perks, etc....
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
About to fly ORD-LGA in them. Thank god a short flight - these are overly firm, and as noted up thread, the seat cushion is just way too short. I can foresee people getting neck strain too as the back is pushed too far out compared to the headrest.

EDIT: after spending a body numbing 100 minutes in those seats, I can safely say it's the single worst Y seat I've ever sat in. Everything ergonomically about it is wrong - an hour after landing, my back is still sore. It's tough to believe they were ever tested on actual human beings...maybe they weren't, could have been just crash test dummies.

I asked the FA, "so you're going to have to do manual announcements on these planes going forward?" He said yes, and all the FAs hated it - and couldn't believe UA was ripping out all the free entertainment too. Wifi was broken as well.

But AA is installing these seats and AA is perfect, right?!
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT

Sorry to hear this from someone with credibility. I've been avoiding UA enough that I've not hit one of these yet. It appears that they are ok if you are SHORT and not too heavy, but if you are tall they are awful with the short seat bottom.

At SFO though we are loosing most of the Airbus and getting the CO 7-narrow-7s with those great 17" hard as a rock Koito seats. Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. Oh well, next year I will avoid UA even more...
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:39 pm

Somehow I find that "All FAs hated it" part hard to believe. If he's speaking of the FAs that were actually on the flight that's one thing, If he's speaking for all FAs then that's something totally different. Example sometimes I work an out of base trip that sometimes has the 739ER and no IFE no nothing and I have to do a manual demo and I don't mind at all.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Sulley
Hey, maybe they'll elect for a higher level of the comfort package for all we know. Have you sat in them for any extended period of time? They stink.

Another fun note - the headrest looks nice and wide, right? It's an illusion - the "hard" part on the inside stops 3" short of the end of each "wing". They just flop over.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Somehow I find that "All FAs hated it" part hard to believe. If he's speaking of the FAs that were actually on the flight that's one thing, If he's speaking for all FAs then that's something totally different. Example sometimes I work an out of base trip that sometimes has the 739ER and no IFE no nothing and I have to do a manual demo and I don't mind at all.
I would think, in most professions, if you had an aspect of your job that was automated (to your benefit), and now you have to regress to ~20 years prior where it was manual, you might be annoyed too.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If they are installing the same seats, then they suck as well.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by halls120
If they are installing the same seats, then they suck as well.
I think the IFE version has more padding though.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:07 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

I would think, in most professions, if you had an aspect of your job that was automated (to your benefit), and now you have to regress to ~20 years prior where it was manual, you might be annoyed too.
I always thought there were FAs who enjoyed making the announcement and probably thought it demeaning to be replaced by a lame video. Many people don't like having their job duties dumbed-down. So my suspicion is there's a mix of opinions on this subject.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edcho
I think the IFE version has more padding though.
If that's the case, then maybe they won't be so bad on AA.

Trust me, I'm sure there are many that are skeptical how bad they are...still a seat, right? Be sure to report back after you ride in them.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:50 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I was also under the impression that AA is installing these seats on their new A319s, but if you actually take a look at pictures of the new cabin, they don't actually LOOK as uncomfortable (seem to have a bit more padding). But at the same time, I haven't heard any feedback either way yet on the new AA seats.

http://boardingarea.com/aadvantagege...airlines-a319/
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by dw
I was also under the impression that AA is installing these seats on their new A319s, but if you actually take a look at pictures of the new cabin, they don't actually LOOK as uncomfortable (seem to have a bit more padding). But at the same time, I haven't heard any feedback either way yet on the new AA seats.

http://boardingarea.com/aadvantagege...airlines-a319/
I believe the seats are exactly the same, with the exception of seat cover and inclusion of IFE.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Just caught the seats ORD to DC, absolutely brutal
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Row 7 used to be my favorite for my red-eye transcon but the LAX-ORD red-eye on row 7 with one of these new seats was killing me! What is wrong with the new UA and what was wrong with the old seats!?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by lax2010
Row 7 used to be my favorite for my red-eye transcon but the LAX-ORD red-eye on row 7 with one of these new seats was killing me! What is wrong with the new UA and what was wrong with the old seats!?
Nothing was "wrong" with the old seats. UA wanted to add seats to the 319 and 320, so the only thing they could do is add thinner, less comfortable seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.