Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Old Aug 24, 2013, 4:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fly18725
I can guarantee there is a compelling logistical reason power is not installed concurrently with the new seats. If there wasn't, you'd be implying United is doing this to intentionally frustrate customers.

It would be helpful if everyone realized some processes are slow because they are extremely complicated, not because United (or another company) is trying to drive customers away.
I don't think United is intentionally trying to drive customers away, and I understand that the process of changing things like seats and other infrastructure is complicated. But what the customer sees is this - immediate changes that result in less: no IFE for the time being and a greater number of less comfortable seats crammed into the same space on the 319/320; and brand new 739's delivered dark. Coupled with management's famous "our customers are over-entitled" pronouncement to investors, the end result IS a company which presents a customer-unfriendly face, and in fact does drive customers away, whether that is or is not the intent.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 10:02 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note.

The thread topic is Airbus reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9). Recent off-topic posts have been deleted.

There are beyond a few other threads to discuss how UA compares in the airline industry generally, or whether UA management deems elites over-entitiled. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Originally Posted by fivevsone
I had my first agonizing experience with these new seats. Holy crap are they awful. short arm rests, and lower too, seat cushion like plywood... Wow. Just Wow.

I am shocked at how horrible a BWI-IAH flight in 21F was. Cannot imagine being on a TCON.

Now i have to pay attention to avoid the 'upgraded' A319/320 packages as well as the regionals.
+1. I too will do my best to avoid these birds.

Just did a red eye TCON, thinking flying a new plane until FA told me just new seats. I didn't find the power source and there was no pillow or blanket either.

One of FA actually encouraged me to write in and complaint. He had been doing so much apologizing to the flyers on these poor decisions made in the office.

One plus to lack of entertainment, I didn't have to see Jeff before my flight.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:23 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
While I obviously have no idea if the general public think the seats are as bad as everyone on here says, but if it were true, I wonder whether the situation can be reversed before UA adds them to another few hundred aircraft. You'd like to think that someone has the ability to say stop, let's re-address this.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
While I obviously have no idea if the general public think the seats are as bad as everyone on here says, but if it were true, I wonder whether the situation can be reversed before UA adds them to another few hundred aircraft. You'd like to think that someone has the ability to say stop, let's re-address this.
That makes too much sense
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
You don't get it - United isn't putting new seats on the 320/319 to improve the passenger experience, they are doing it to make the aircraft more profitable. Thinner seats with lousy padding enables them to pack an extra six seats on each aircraft.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by halls120
You don't get it - United isn't putting new seats on the 320/319 to improve the passenger experience, they are doing it to make the aircraft more profitable. Thinner seats with lousy padding enables them to pack an extra six seats on each aircraft.
I do get it, I am aware of the reason, but despite what many say, it is not the United mantra to go out and piss off all customers no matter what to make more money. There may be other seats that can accomplish the same goal and be more comfortable. The other thing to keep in mind is that the seats soften over time, and will almost certainly improve with wear. I flew them on LH and found them fine. It was however only a 4hr flight, not a 6hr, but it was fine
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:53 pm

Maybe they can just retrofit with better padding...

This looks promising: http://www.supracor.com/products/spe...ting/aircraft/
Old Aug 27, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold
I just flew back on a non-converted A319 and those seats have definitely seen better days. Interestingly though the plane did have Wi-Fi installed, which I thought was being done with the seat conversions. I thought the pricing was fair for the length of the flight - $3.99 ORD-DCA. Hope to see wi-fi more throughout the fleet.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rzsionak
I just flew back on a non-converted A319 and those seats have definitely seen better days. Interestingly though the plane did have Wi-Fi installed, which I thought was being done with the seat conversions. I thought the pricing was fair for the length of the flight - $3.99 ORD-DCA. Hope to see wi-fi more throughout the fleet.
You'd think so, since it's being portrayed as a trade-off.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Just flew back on an "upgraded" A320 (SFO-PHL). I was in F though. Seats seemed the same (with the lack of IFE). I was in the last row of F and there was a pretty large gap behind the seat to the bulkhead. They could have easily given each row another inch or so. Anyways, the captain actually came out to the F cabin (vs from the cockpit) to make is welcome announcement. He actually said that CH9 would be available for us to listen to. Then he looked around at our confused faces and amended his announcement with "if you can find somewhere to plug in". Then he explained that we would be able to stream CH9 and IFE via WIFI and it was "very cool".

Ofcourse, although WIFI was available, there was no streaming. $15 for the flight. Ofcourse with no power plugs, my laptop only lasted for half the flight.

The thing is that even if they eventually get CH9 working on WIFI, since I must use my personal electronics to listen, I won't be able to listen during takeoff or landing. The most interesting parts I like to hear.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
Just flew back on an "upgraded" A320 (SFO-PHL). I was in F though. Seats seemed the same (with the lack of IFE). I was in the last row of F and there was a pretty large gap behind the seat to the bulkhead. They could have easily given each row another inch or so. Anyways, the captain actually came out to the F cabin (vs from the cockpit) to make is welcome announcement. He actually said that CH9 would be available for us to listen to. Then he looked around at our confused faces and amended his announcement with "if you can find somewhere to plug in". Then he explained that we would be able to stream CH9 and IFE via WIFI and it was "very cool".

Ofcourse, although WIFI was available, there was no streaming. $15 for the flight. Ofcourse with no power plugs, my laptop only lasted for half the flight.

The thing is that even if they eventually get CH9 working on WIFI, since I must use my personal electronics to listen, I won't be able to listen during takeoff or landing. The most interesting parts I like to hear.
Did they change the F seats? Thought they only changed the Y seats in the "upgraded" airbii.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by eng3
I would expect that it's only a matter of months before those rules are dramatically relaxed. They really don't make sense and everyone knows it. The final FAA study group report is due in September and action should occur fairly soon after that.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Baze
Did they change the F seats? Thought they only changed the Y seats in the "upgraded" airbii.
I think the only change was to add power but I guess that hasnt happened yet. There seemed to be a larger gap than usual between the back of the last F seat and the bulkhead so they may have moved the seats (or the bulkhead). Maybe they left a larger gap so the seat wouldnt recline into people's coats.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
Of course that strategy only works if they are able to get people to sit in the extra seats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.