Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Maximum number of segments allowed on int'l award F one-way ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND

Hey guys. I'm trying to use my MP miles to travel to Fiji and Air New Zealand is the only *A partner that flies there. Basically, my only option is to get to AKL to then get to NAN. However, since I have enough miles for an F award, I find myself in a tough situation because if I take OZ from JFK or ICN, the only way to get other F segments is with TG on one of its daily BKK SYD services, but going through SYD is adding extra legs to my itinerary.

Does anyone know with certainly the maximum number of segments allowed on an int'l F award, one-way only, issued by UA but operated by *A partners? Thanks!!!!
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Originally Posted by fly747first
Hey guys. I'm trying to use my MP miles to travel to Fiji and Air New Zealand is the only *A partner that flies there. Basically, my only option is to get to AKL to then get to NAN. However, since I have enough miles for an F award, I find myself in a tough situation because if I take OZ from JFK or ICN, the only way to get other F segments is with TG on one of its daily BKK SYD services, but going through SYD is adding extra legs to my itinerary.

Does anyone know with certainly the maximum number of segments allowed on an int'l F award, one-way only, issued by UA but operated by *A partners? Thanks!!!!
Not sure what the limit is, but Saturday I had a 5-segment one-way award in F ticketed.

TPA-ORD on UA
ORD-NRT on NH
NRT-ICN on UA
ICN-BKK on TG
BKK-SYD on TG
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I believe it's 8 or 10. I've done 8, four each way.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I've done...... a lot.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 1:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Oh sorry, you're asking about one way only. 8-10 is for round trip.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 1:09 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I'd be less worried about the number of legs than I would be about whether UA will ticket a routing with a U.S. departure to Nadi routed through North Asia and Australia.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Oh sorry, you're asking about one way only. 8-10 is for round trip.
Way too low of an estimate. We have 8 right now on our next award and there's plenty of room to expand... our limitations are availability.

I had a 6 segment o/w two years ago and at the time was informed the max was 8 for a o/w. No idea if that was correct then or now.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I'd be less worried about the number of legs than I would be about whether UA will ticket a routing with a U.S. departure to Nadi routed through North Asia and Australia.
I have done similar routings before. Also, in this particular case, the only valid routing is through AKL since Air New Zealand is currently the only Star Alliance partner that flies to NAN and for all purposes, Australia and New Zealand are considered the same region.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Way too low of an estimate. We have 8 right now on our next award and there's plenty of room to expand... our limitations are availability.

I had a 6 segment o/w two years ago and at the time was informed the max was 8 for a o/w. No idea if that was correct then or now.
Yes, but just because you are holding the flights doesn't mean that UA will ultimately ticket the reservation, and unless I'm wrong, I was under the impression that UA won't allow more than 5 legs each-way, though some other FT members report different numbers.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 3, 2013 at 11:06 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
I have done similar routings before. Also, in this particular case, the only valid routing is through AKL since Air New Zealand is currently the only Star Alliance partner that flies to NAN and for all purposes, Australia and New Zealand are considered the same region.

Yes, but just because you are holding the flights doesn't mean that UA will ultimately ticket the reservation, and unless I'm wrong, I was under the impression that UA won't allow more than 5 legs each-way, though some other FT members report different numbers.
The number I've heard is 10 for a round trip. I've had success with 5 on a one-way and 7 on a round trip before, but have never attempted more than that.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Au4882
Not sure what the limit is, but Saturday I had a 5-segment one-way award in F ticketed.

TPA-ORD on UA
ORD-NRT on NH
NRT-ICN on UA
ICN-BKK on TG
BKK-SYD on TG
Did you have to call in for this? I tried this on multi city and it came out to 122,000 miles.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Au4882
The number I've heard is 10 for a round trip. I've had success with 5 on a one-way and 7 on a round trip before, but have never attempted more than that.
Ditto. I have had many award F/J tickets issued by either UA or US with 10 segments round-trip and with up to 5 one-way with UA, but never above that number.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Exclamation 1k Desk says maximum of 8 segments

1K desk told me tonight there is a new rule for a maximum of 8 segments on a round-trip award ticket. Can anyone else confirm this or is this a case of having to call back again?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amartin1979
1K desk told me tonight there is a new rule for a maximum of 8 segments on a round-trip award ticket. Can anyone else confirm this or is this a case of having to call back again?
That can't be true since just last week my BOS - ORD - ICN - BKK - HKG - SIN - AKL one-way itinerary in F/J was ticketed with a total of six legs. I was surprised because I thought the maximum was five legs in each direction but it definitely went through.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
That can't be true since just last week my BOS - ORD - ICN - BKK - HKG - SIN - AKL one-way itinerary in F/J was ticketed with a total of six legs. I was surprised because I thought the maximum was five legs in each direction but it definitely went through.
Okay.. she was very nice about it and spoke to two supervisors, but I guess I'll try calling back later in the day and seeing if I can get a different call center. Seems like an arbitrary rule especially since it doesn't appear anywhere on united.com
Old Jun 23, 2013, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amartin1979
Okay.. she was very nice about it and spoke to two supervisors, but I guess I'll try calling back later in the day and seeing if I can get a different call center. Seems like an arbitrary rule especially since it doesn't appear anywhere on united.com
I had a wonderful agent and when I asked her about the maximum number of legs, she said: "sweety, we just never known for sure until we put together the itinerary and see if the system accepts it so that we can ticket it."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.