Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Motion To Dismiss for Premier Silver's Suit DENIED

Old Mar 7, 2013, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM

I'm surprised there isn't anything on here that discusses the lawsuit between the Premier's and United. UA's MTD was DENIED in a Federal Court and the court is asking for a discovery plan.

Anyone have any details of the suit? Someone correct me please, was this because of those members who made Premier in 2012 (qualifying in 2011) but then the benefits were taken away when they became Premier Silver AFTER the merger? (note POST-MERGER)

Did the downgrades of Premier Silver occur on the 1st of January 2012 or March 2012?

I assume this is a class action?

Here's what the document states:

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE Northern District of Illinois − CM/ECF LIVE, Ver 5.1.1
Eastern Division

Plaintiff,

United Continental Holdings, Inc., et al.

Defendant.

NOTIFICATION OF DOCKET ENTRY
This docket entry was made by the Clerk on Friday, March 1, 2013:

MINUTE entry before Honorable John Z. Lee: As set forth in the attached Order,
Defendants' Motion to Dismiss [10] is denied. Plaintiff's Motion for Leave to File
Supplemental Authority [28] is denied as moot. Status hearing set for 3/14/13 at 9:00 a.m.
to stand. The parties are instructed to conduct a Fed. R. Civ. P. 26(f) conference and
jointly submit a proposed discovery plan to the Court at least three business days prior to
the status hearing. Mailed notice(ca, )

ATTENTION: This notice is being sent pursuant to Rule 77(d) of the Federal Rules of
Civil Procedure or Rule 49(c) of the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure. It was
generated by CM/ECF, the automated docketing system used to maintain the civil and
criminal dockets of this District. If a minute order or other document is enclosed, please
refer to it for additional information.

For scheduled events, motion practices, recent opinions and other information, visit our
web site at www.ilnd.uscourts.gov.
Original post states Premier Executive, changed to Premier per member's posts

Last edited by UrbaneGent; Mar 7, 2013 at 9:34 pm
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I think it relates to this:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...-economy-plus/

Basically, in 2011 those gunning for Silver thought it would be business as usual for 2012, until 3/4 of the year United takes the axe to Silver for 2012. So a bit of a bait and switch for those flyers.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent

I'm surprised there isn't anything on here that discusses the lawsuit between the Premier's and United. UA's MTD was DENIED in a Federal Court and the court is asking for a discovery plan.

Anyone have any details of the suit? Someone correct me please, was this because of those members who made Premier Executive in 2012 (qualifying in 2011) but then the benefits were taken away when they became Premier Silver AFTER the merger? (note POST-MERGER)

Did the downgrades of Premier Silver occur on the 1st of January 2012 or March 2012?

I assume this is a class action?
-
I am also surprised that this class action has not appeared on the Flyertalk forum.

Yes, the class action is for UA retroactively taking away promised benefits to those UA customers who achieved "2P" in 2011 for the year 2012.

This is the second class action against UA for breaching the Mileage Plus frequent flier program.

Considering the dismal February 2013 results released by UA today coupled with the two lawsuits going forward despite UA's powerful attorneys filing a Motion to Dismiss both cases, it would appear that the UA management might want to reassess their decisions to intentionally ignore written promises.

"Someone correct me please, was this because of those members who made Premier Executive in 2012 (qualifying in 2011) but then the benefits were taken away when they became Premier Silver AFTER the merger? (note POST-MERGER)"

The above is correct except the suit was filed on behalf of Premiers, not Premier Executives.

Not a pretty picture for UA, by any means.
-

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Mar 7, 2013 at 8:25 pm Reason: omission
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
According to Gary Leff's blog, "the individual seeking to create a class action also sued Southwest when they began enforcing expiration dates on their inflight drink coupons..."

IIRC at some point following, WN elected to settle that suit.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Not sure if he has a winning case but certainly a Argument.

1P got hosed too - until 9/23/11 UA said get 1P and have 100% RDM bonus - that should have lasted until Feb 1 2013

Big time bait and switch.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Not sure if he has a winning case but certainly a Argument.

1P got hosed too - until 9/23/11 UA said get 1P and have 100% RDM bonus - that should have lasted until Feb 1 2013

Big time bait and switch.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. I wonder why they're not part of the case...
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan
every defense attorney files a motion to dismiss and they are almost always denied. no reason to make a big deal about that.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by XLR26
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. I wonder why they're not part of the case...
Wow, what a mess for UA. You have the Premiers, the PEs, the MMilers all p'd off because of promises that were made. No wonder PMUA flyers are not happy. I didn't stop and think about it.

I would think if this lawsuit becomes a class action, I think it's possible for the lawyer to file on behalf of former Premier Executives and lump them altogether.

I am not familiar so can someone help me out?

Old name Premier, New name Premier. Old benefits? xyz; New benefits? abc

Old name Premier Executive; New name Premier Gold. Former benefits xyz; New benefits abc
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ASEFlyer
every defense attorney files a motion to dismiss and they are almost always denied. no reason to make a big deal about that.
If the suit has no merit, the motion is granted - by denying the motion, the judge is taking the position that a group of customers who are claiming that United caused them harm by the unplanned changes in program benefits have a valid case that should proceed to discovery, and either settlement or trial.

I'd say this is a pretty chilling effect on arrogant airlines (and other vendors with loyalty programs) who think their T+C clause about changing terms and benefits at any time for any reason is cut and dry.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ASEFlyer
Not when it comes to airline mileage programs and federal court. Lawsuits with regards to the mileage programs are very difficult to take to court. I'm not a lawyer by any means, but this I know!
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
If the suit has no merit, the motion is granted - by denying the motion, the judge is taking the position that a group of customers who are claiming that United caused them harm by the unplanned changes in program benefits have a valid case that should proceed to discovery, and either settlement or trial.

I'd say this is a pretty chilling effect on arrogant airlines (and other vendors with loyalty programs) who think their T+C clause about changing terms and benefits at any time for any reason is cut and dry.
A valid case? That's incorrect. All the denial of the motion to dismiss means is that, assuming everything alleged in the complaint is true, the judge thinks the plaintiff(s) have a plausible claim. Surviving a motion to dismiss really doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. The real test in the case will be if the plaintiff can survive summary judgment.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
A valid case? That's incorrect. All the denial of the motion to dismiss means is that, assuming everything alleged in the complaint is true, the judge thinks the plaintiff(s) have a plausible claim. Surviving a motion to dismiss really doesn't mean much in the scheme of things.
To me valid case = plausible claim - pretty much the same thing. I'm not saying they have a winning case, or even a good case - but their case is valid and not frivolous.

Between the MM suit and now this one, it's not looking good for UA's decision to arbitrarily make large changes in program benefits with a 'take it or leave it' attitude. It also empowers customers (and lawyers) who could group together and sue UA if MP was radically changed in some way - ie no more CPUs or GPUs, qualification based on full fare only, etc etc.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:21 pm

To me valid case = plausible claim - pretty much the same thing. I'm not saying they have a winning case, or even a good case - but their case is valid and not frivolous.

Between the MM suit and now this one, it's not looking good for UA's decision to arbitrarily make large changes in program benefits with a 'take it or leave it' attitude. It also empowers customers (and lawyers) who could group together and sue UA if MP was radically changed in some way - ie no more CPUs or GPUs, qualification based on full fare only, etc etc.
If you're not saying that the plaintiff has a winning case or even a good case, then how are things "not looking good" for UA?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:27 pm

If you're not saying that the plaintiff has a winning case or even a good case, then how are things "not looking good" for UA?
Because like the MM suit, the cases are proceeding down the legal track without being dismissed - that would be worrisome.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:35 pm

-
Let's not forget the poor operational and financial results of UA since the former Continental management took over United and decided that elites are "over entitled" and need their benefits adjusted (downward).

That kind of arrogance is no way to promote future business. Passengers continue to leave UA. The numbers confirm this fact. Why are the passengers leaving? I think the answer is obvious. Shabby treatment and shabby benefits.

The three lawsuits filed against UA for breach of contracts cannot be beneficial to UA's business or for attracting customers to fly with UA.

The awful 2012 operational and financial results and the January and just released February, 2013 results confirm that the decisions made by Smisek and Rainey are not working.

Smisek and Rainey should take the high road and stop treating loyal customers with callous disregard.
-

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.