Wiki Posts
Search

Why does UA have rear-facing J seats?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Why does UA have rear-facing J seats?

Hello,

I started reading the threads on where to sit in certain planes, and now I'm kind of curious why UA has rear-facing J seats.
Do they save space compared to an all forward-facing cabin?
If so, I can't figure out how they can achieve the savings, since the overall lengths/widths will still be the same regardless of the direction, if I'm not mistaken.
Or is there some other reason for the rear-facing seats?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 27, 2013 at 6:53 pm Reason: nonsensical thread title
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Space - the footwells are offset and overlap. Also wiring for IFE is simpler.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The human body is wider at the shoulders and narrower at the feet.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lightman7
Space - the footwells are offset and overlap. Also wiring for IFE is simpler.
ah, if the footwells overlap, then this makes sense.
Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75, UA 1K, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Platinum
I have flown facing backwards in J on several occasions. At first I was nervous about it and the take off and landing are odd sensations, but once you are airborne, it doesn't make a bit of difference.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by peejayemm
I have flown facing backwards in J on several occasions. At first I was nervous about it and the take off and landing are odd sensations, but once you are airborne, it doesn't make a bit of difference.
I actually find rear-facing to be a better sleeping position because all the blood isn't rushing to your head due to the pitch of the plane.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
I usually like to sit in the J forward seats. Never experienced being in the reverse direction as the aircraft moves forward. However, refer to seatguru.com in terms of comfort, etc to confirm whether it may be better. All the best
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:05 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
First time I flew it, it was odd, but not as odd as when I flew in rear facing WN seat way back when (obviously in coach).

I usually try to pick front facing seat as I like to look ahead, but it's no big deal to fly in rear facing seats.

EmailKid
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Platinum
Once you're airborne I've noticed no difference, unless you look out the window a lot. But then it's like when you're riding on a train and sitting in the rear-facing seat.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JAaronT
I actually find rear-facing to be a better sleeping position because all the blood isn't rushing to your head due to the pitch of the plane.
I once noted that some people prefer the rear-facing seats because the plane's upward-facing angle throughout travel means that your head is very slightly elevated throughout the trip, which some people prefer for sleeping.

It was pointed out to me there that United actually issues a soft flat rectangle to every business-class passenger for the sole purpose of helping them elevate their heads while resting.

Last edited by mherdeg; Feb 27, 2013 at 5:22 pm
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I think most people prefer the rear facing seats because of the better sleeping angle, but it varies from person to person.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:56 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
I think most people prefer the rear facing seats because of the better sleeping angle, but it varies from person to person.
Um, when I look at seatmaps I usually see front facing seats get filled first @:-)

EmailKid
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mherdeg
It was pointed out to me that there United actually issues a soft flat rectangle to every business-class passenger for the sole purpose of helping them elevate their heads while resting.
I guess the people who pointed that out have necks that sit atop one shoulder rather than between them.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Um, when I look at seatmaps I usually see front facing seats get filled first @:-)

EmailKid
Not surprising. Most pax are not FF.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
United is going to be a generation behind AA/US and Delta with their new J products. All aisle is the new benchmark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.