MileagePlus Recognition Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k

Just got this email:

https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...les/index.html

MileagePlus® award miles are the perfect gift or incentive to recognize everyone in your life - from employees to friends to family. And now when you buy award miles, you can choose a thank-you gift for yourself:

Premier® status for you or someone you choose
OR
Discounts of up to 25% off the cost of award miles

Award miles can be used for flights, hotel stays, dining out, online shopping and more. The more award miles you purchase, the greater your reward.
Basically, Buy 1mm Miles for $38,000 and you can gift Premier Plat and a UC membership to someone or get a discount for the bulk purchase. Buy less and you can gift a gold or silver membership to someone.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: UA
Buy 1 million miles and you get Premier Platinum

Curious if anybody will actually buy 1 million miles ?

https://secure.unitedmileageplus.com...les/index.html

You can give Premier Platinum (or keep it yourself) and get a free club membership (more then I got after flying 2 Million miles after the devaluation.

Its only 37625$ :-).
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You cannot keep all the miles for yourself; they are only for giving away as "recognition" to employees and such. Max of 100,000 gift to any one account in a year. And a horrible price point.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
is this for life too?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
is this for life too?
Nope.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy BS, Hertz & Avis Pres
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
is this for life too?
I also wanted to ask this because I would consider lifetime Plat for ~$35k but I was pretty sure the answer was "no."
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:37 am

So if you did this for 1,000,000 miles and took the discount, after tax you would be looking at $30,335.16. If you only spent them on international roundtrips in business at 120,000 miles per, that gives you 8.33 roundtrips. Which means each roundtrip would be $3,640.

Not that good....but if my company wants to buy me that, I am not going to say no.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by WhyPayRent
So if you did this for 1,000,000 miles and took the discount, after tax you would be looking at $30,335.16. If you only spent them on international roundtrips in business at 120,000 miles per, that gives you 8.33 roundtrips. Which means each roundtrip would be $3,640.

Not that good....but if my company wants to buy me that, I am not going to say no.
I would gladly pay $3,640 for international roundtrip in business. But since using miles means I usually have to settle for less than ideal routes and/or times, I do agree with you.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Interestingly, I can't find anything in the T&C that states how long the Premier status will be good for. There is a statement that the United Club membership is good for 12 months, but nothing comparable for the status. Did I miss it somewhere?
No, you did not. I looked at both the T&Cs and the FAQs and it is not specified in any place. I don't think one can argue with a straight face that the absence of specificity should be interpreted to mean lifetime status but I'd sure love it if that was the answer.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by NgatesSEA
No, you did not. I looked at both the T&Cs and the FAQs and it is not specified in any place. I don't think one can argue with a straight face that the absence of specificity should be interpreted to mean lifetime status but I'd sure love it if that was the answer.
Agree that the absence doesn't imply lifetime, I'm just very surprised the time frame isn't specified.

Somebody with a spare $30K want to volunteer to be the test case?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

The email says "(2013 program year)" for the premier status
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, US CP
Originally Posted by sbm12

You cannot keep all the miles for yourself; they are only for giving away as "recognition" to employees and such. Max of 100,000 gift to any one account in a year. And a horrible price point.
Why on earth would someone spend $30k to get miles that you can't even use? That's insane.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Ejote
Why on earth would someone spend $30k to get miles that you can't even use? That's insane.
Agreed but as has been pointed out, the point here is that a company might use them for employees, customers, or partners. I'd love to walk into my boss' office and propose a $30k cap-ex for airline miles - wouldn't you?*

*I would not love to do this.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by NgatesSEA
Agreed but as has been pointed out, the point here is that a company might use them for employees, customers, or partners. I'd love to walk into my boss' office and propose a $30k cap-ex for airline miles - wouldn't you?*

*I would not love to do this.
Since the miles would likely be used up quickly with no tangible benefit remaining I don't think this cash outlay would qualify as a capital expense.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I can think of a LOT better performance recognition ideas attainable for $30k.

Not to mention these would probably be taxable as income if distributed to employees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.