Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of United's 787 Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Warm fuzzy, chill:

...The feelings one gets from the first and last paragraphs of this AP/Seattle Times article:

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...mid=obindomain

Last edited by Firewind; Jun 23, 2013 at 12:25 pm Reason: AP
Old Jun 23, 2013, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by squiddy
Pretty cool.

Oddly enough, I noticed a Qatar flight (QTR 9788) headed from Paris to Victorville - I think it might be a bit early to be sending a 787 to the boneyard - what else do they do there?
Possibly a maintenance shop to do WiFi install? QR was pushing to get that done quickly.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Whats amazing is that UA is buying more and more of them. They are putting everything on this one aircraft. I'm happy they also have the 350's coming. As of now any other aircraft is more reliable than the 787. UA and NH have alot into this. I won't suprises to see ANA also purchase 350's.
It's not surprising at all. Airlines around the world like ET, AI, LO are very pleased with the aircraft. Once these kinks get sorted out, I'm sure UA will be a big fan too. It's a revolutionary airplane in many respects.

And if you think that the A350 won't have its own teething issues, you will be very mistaken... These kinds of jumps in technology can't be made without issues
Old Jun 23, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
If someone has some spare time, it might be interesting to compile the track record of the 787 flights over the past couple weeks. I am sure UA won't be very cooperative in providing accurate data to the press...
Old Jun 23, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
It's not surprising at all. Airlines around the world like ET, AI, LO are very pleased with the aircraft. Once these kinks get sorted out, I'm sure UA will be a big fan too. It's a revolutionary airplane in many respects.

And if you think that the A350 won't have its own teething issues, you will be very mistaken... These kinds of jumps in technology can't be made without issues
Saying that the airlines are happy is not really true. How many do each of those airlines have? Look at LOT, they had to sub lease airplanes just to continue. If anythings happens again it will probably bankrupt them.

Fact is that ANA and UA are having issues.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dmodemd
If someone has some spare time, it might be interesting to compile the track record of the 787 flights over the past couple weeks. I am sure UA won't be very cooperative in providing accurate data to the press...
What "data" do you think they're hiding? Much of the useful information is already public.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Saying that the airlines are happy is not really true. How many do each of those airlines have? Look at LOT, they had to sub lease airplanes just to continue. If anythings happens again it will probably bankrupt them.

Fact is that ANA and UA are having issues.
Air India operates more 787s than UA, and yet it still hasn't had many issues since the battery fix. Dispatch reliability is in the mid-90s.

Ethiopian has been getting even better dispatch reliability since the battery fix, but they only operate 4 aircraft (compared to UA's 6).
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Air India operates more 787s than UA, and yet it still hasn't had many issues since the battery fix. Dispatch reliability is in the mid-90s.

Ethiopian has been getting even better dispatch reliability since the battery fix, but they only operate 4 aircraft (compared to UA's 6).
We haven't heard anything from those 2 carriers. It's possible we just don't hear about it.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Looks like the 787 (3903) that was diverted today is back inflight. IAH-IAH though, test flight?? Since I caught it inflight, I tried listing to IAH ATC and heard them say they'll be parking in a hanger (vs a gate).

UA6868
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N27903

I wonder whats going on with that plane

Last edited by eng3; Jun 23, 2013 at 7:57 pm
Old Jun 23, 2013, 9:47 pm

We haven't heard anything from those 2 carriers. It's possible we just don't hear about it.
I can assure you that you haven't heard anything about 787 problems at AI because they don't exist. I've been regularly following up on 787 scheduling and crewing since the aircraft returned to service, and things are going very well indeed. AI is launching DEL-BHX in a few weeks on 787 because they are very pleased with performance.

As for ET, I haven't been paying as close attention, but they put out a press release on Tuesday talking about how excited they were about dispatch reliability and fuel performance. I can't think of a motivation for them to lie - if they were having trouble, they'd want Boeing to fix it.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Growing pains

Whats amazing is that UA is buying more and more of them. They are putting everything on this one aircraft. I'm happy they also have the 350's coming. As of now any other aircraft is more reliable than the 787. UA and NH have alot into this. I won't suprises to see ANA also purchase 350's.
Flew 3906 on Thursday it's first day back at LAX from SEA. it came in three hours late. While waiting, I spoke to one of the pilots. He was a 777 pilot who thru seniority now moved to the 87 planes. I asked him about all of the delays and he explained that UA had cry similar problems when they were the launch customer for the 777. He went onto say that the computers that monitor the systems are the culprit for many of the delays. They are kicking out false positives which are resulting in extra checks to I sure that nothing is truly wrong. He said that once they iron out the software issues, things will "normalize". The flight on 3906 was perfect. Great plane. Ironically when we landed, the steering system malfunctioned and we had to be towed from the runway to the gate. That plane was heading to LHR unfortunately due to the steering problem, it wasn't going to be anytime soon that night. Personally, I'd definitely go out of my way to fly an87 as long as they are still doing break in routes.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by tomj888
Flew 3906 on Thursday it's first day back at LAX from SEA. it came in three hours late. While waiting, I spoke to one of the pilots. He was a 777 pilot who thru seniority now moved to the 87 planes. I asked him about all of the delays and he explained that UA had cry similar problems when they were the launch customer for the 777. He went onto say that the computers that monitor the systems are the culprit for many of the delays. They are kicking out false positives which are resulting in extra checks to I sure that nothing is truly wrong. He said that once they iron out the software issues, things will "normalize". The flight on 3906 was perfect. Great plane. Ironically when we landed, the steering system malfunctioned and we had to be towed from the runway to the gate. That plane was heading to LHR unfortunately due to the steering problem, it wasn't going to be anytime soon that night. Personally, I'd definitely go out of my way to fly an87 as long as they are still doing break in routes.
Were you seated in BF? Not a great plane for Economy and the pilot speaking was probably not a sUA pilot, as they were the launch customer. I'm not sure how reliable the pilot was in this case.

Not saying it's a bad aircraft, but I'm booking away from it until these "software" issues are resolved.

You would think all airlines would have similar software issues that UA is said to be experiencing.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:52 pm

Programs: ex-elite, now just pay C/J myself to avoid the hassle of keeping status.
Originally Posted by tomj888
after sayings most the problems are software related false-positive, on your very flight you encountered a mechanical issue. hmmmm.....
Old Jun 23, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
And isn't the SW the same across all airlines? I may be daft in this area, but isn't that standard Boeing SW, not customized to UA?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:33 pm

Yesterday's (Sunday) diversion was due to a brake indicator:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/23/travel...ted/?hpt=hp_t2

A United Airlines 787 Dreamliner was diverted early Sunday due to a mechanical problem, the second such incident for the plane in a week.

United flight 94 was on its way to Denver when it was forced to fly back to the place from where it left: Houston, United Airlines said.

The cause: an issue with the brake indicator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.