Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flying over new years (what to expect on UA flights)?

Old Dec 30, 2012, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold

So I got to thinking, there are a number of red eye flights that will be flying over new years eve (presumably), does UA do anoint special? I have never flown over new years and am curious to hear other people's experience.

Oh, and happy new years to everyone....

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 30, 2012 at 7:33 pm Reason: vague thread title
Old Dec 30, 2012, 7:36 pm

Did so two years ago. At the stroke of midnight (departure city time), the captain interrupted the movie for two seconds to say "Happy New Year". That was it. I had hoped they would have at least boarded sparkling wine for F but they didn't. Just another red eye.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
I am flying (IAD-EWR) and then EWR-TLV on New Year's Day. Based upon the past week, I expect delays.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by euslaner
I am flying (IAD-EWR) and then EWR-TLV on New Year's Day. Based upon the past week, I expect delays.
^
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Any update for TATL flights...
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BelmontRef
....Just another red eye.
a key point, think of the number of unhappy travelers if a big ruckus was made when most would want to be sleep -- I would be an unhappy customer if I got woke up.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:03 pm

Did it once (intra-Asia) a few years ago, and the answer on that flight was, not much of anything. But landing was only a few minutes after midnight, so I wouldn't really expect much.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
After my experience on a very short (SFO-LAX, in F) hop tonight, I'd be more concerned about your fellow passengers than anything the crew might do. I had no idea there was time on such a short flight to serve the guy next to me three drinks. Nor did I expect to hear someone yelling at a football game during a flight (DirectTV). At the end of the flight he had hiccups. Maybe unrelated. But I could just see him getting into a car and driving home from the airport...

(New info: Just got off my final flight for 2012, where I sat in a Coven of FAs positioning for a flight to Shanghai. There's a rule, apparently it's an FAR, that says one drink per 60 minutes. Hopefully the 2nd and 3rd drinks were heavily watered down!)

Anyway, got me to thinking what it might be like, if you were on a flight where people were having the same sort of good time on the plane that they might have wanted to at home.

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Dec 31, 2012 at 1:02 am Reason: new info
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K; UA 1K
I do this nearly every new year (HNL-->NYC) to get those last ~5,000 or so miles in after visiting my family. Once or twice the crew noted the new year, but as mentioned before, they usually just preemptively wish passengers a happy new year and let us sleep through it. No champagne, no party, nothing.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by matkusopet
I do this nearly every new year (HNL-->NYC) to get those last ~5,000 or so miles in after visiting my family. Once or twice the crew noted the new year, but as mentioned before, they usually just preemptively wish passengers a happy new year and let us sleep through it. No champagne, no party, nothing.
My wife and I fly OGG-DEN almost every 12/31 and usually the crew is pretty quiet as are fellow passengers. We fly the redeye BECAUSE we don't care for NYE parties and I imagine many of our fellow passengers feel the same way.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 24 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
FRA-SFO one December 31st (UA901). Celebrated on the entire 747 at midnight Frankfurt time which was a short bit before landing as I recall. There was bubbly for everyone on the plane and the crew had balloons and hats. Actually rather nice. I was in GF at the time.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 3:42 am

So when does the race to 1K requal begin?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by mander
My wife and I fly OGG-DEN almost every 12/31 and usually the crew is pretty quiet as are fellow passengers. We fly the redeye BECAUSE we don't care for NYE parties and I imagine many of our fellow passengers feel the same way.
Flew this last night. Not a mention of NYE. F was even quieter than usual. Most people were asleep soon after takeoff, including my wife.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
1. After my experience on a very short (SFO-LAX, in F)... I had no idea there was time on such a short flight to serve the guy next to me three drinks.

(2. New info: Just got off my final flight for 2012, where I sat in a Coven of FAs positioning for a flight to Shanghai. There's a rule, apparently it's an FAR, that says one drink per 60 minutes. Hopefully the 2nd and 3rd drinks were heavily watered down!)
1. 3's not bad. 1 on the ground & 2 in the air. Many a FTer has done that As long as they're not driving afterwards or getting loud/belligerant/sloushy, who cares.

2. If there is a rule of 1 drink per 60 minutes, it's never been enforced in my 1.76million miles on UA, or 1.3mil on other airlines.

Cheers.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: United Platinum
was on the 787 LAX-IAH at midnight last night in F...barely a mention of NYE of the comm...perfectly fine by me

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.