Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Renegs on 1K Status Match. [Update: UA resolved for customer]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, ex-NW PE

I am an SFO-based DL Diamond Medallion and my business travel has shifted so that the more direct routing on UA, and the *A network has become more attractive. United offered a challenge to 1K which required 35,000 qualifying miles on UA metal in 90 days.

I flew over 36K PQMs on United (40K overall) during that period, yet United downgraded my status to Silver. For the sake of convenience, I purchased B fares on several routes, including a trans-Atlantic routing. United is now saying that the high-fare bonus PQMs do not count toward the challenge, thus, I came up <2K miles short of 35,000.

While the challenge e-mail specifically stated that partner flights, *A and codeshares did not count toward the challenge, they never mentioned the fare-class bonus PQMs, which I considered qualifying miles. Had I known specifically that these fares would be excluded, I would have arranged my travel differently to meet the challenge, likely in a way that would've cost me time and UA revenue.

I know that nobody's eager to have another 1K competing for upgrades (though those appear to be very infrequent out of SFO anyhow), but I'd like to know if anyone has any strategies for how best to handle this?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
I think u should PM Shannon to get this resolved
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Do you have your original status match email response from United? I imagine that this info would be included in the T&C -- but perhaps they can resolve something for you. On the negative side though, if the T&C's were included in the email, they may hold you to them.

Good luck.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, we would need to see the T&C's to tell you if they screwed you or not. I would almost bet somewhere it says base PQM's. Not necessarily saying bonus is excluded but that only base counts.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Please cut & paste the t&c. We can better advise with those in front of us.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Um...
you fell short. You should not whine. You knew the rules and you did not make it.
And most of the crowd here would be irate if you get 1K level for flying less that 35K miles in 2012.
Good luck next year.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
I did a 1K challenge at the beginning of this year and I think I remember that COS bonus PQMS did not count. From what I remember I was just over the threshold with COS PQMS and I called and they said I hadn't hit it yet. But I knew I would even without and when I did they updated the status instantly.

Sorry that sucks - hopefully you'll get somebody sympathetic if your offer indeed did not include COS PQMS or otherwise can prove them wrong. I would think that for 2K miles and being that you went over with the bonus that they would say ok.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
Um...
you fell short. You should not whine. You knew the rules and you did not make it.
And most of the crowd here would be irate if you get 1K level for flying less that 35K miles in 2012.
Good luck next year.
Lets not be quite so harsh on the OP yet. We don't know the T&C's of their offer. They state they did not know COS bonus did not count and thought all along that it did until they called to see why they dropped to silver. Again, we need to see the T&C's to judge.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
You can post the T&Cs but the status match uses language that essentially says it's 35,000 BIS miles not EQMs. I ran into this issue when I did the status match from US Airways but had time to correct. See if Shannon will let you purchase 2,000 EQMs or waive it this time especially since you bought B fares.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Status matches have always been BIS/actual flown miles, not PQM.

The 2012 status match page on their website makes this fairly clear - http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...omoCode=TB8230

"Fly 25,000 qualifying flight miles or 30 flight segments to retain Premier Platinum status"

"Promotional and/or bonus Premier qualifying miles (PQM) and Premier qualifying segments (PQS) do not count toward this offer."
Old Dec 23, 2012, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If that's what OP's offer was, I'm not sure what he wants. He missed it.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Weil, if UA's software wasn't so brain dead, it would have graded his proposal in advance, while he could do something about it. As in, anyone on a status match and looking at "current reservations" should be able to see if the reservations that UA knows about will do the trick or not.

So UA is partly culpable, and there's a case to be made for a "makeup" opportunity for the OP.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Syzygies
Weil, if UA's software wasn't so brain dead, it would have graded his proposal in advance, while he could do something about it. As in, anyone on a status match and looking at "current reservations" should be able to see if the reservations that UA knows about will do the trick or not.

So UA is partly culpable, and there's a case to be made for a "makeup" opportunity for the OP.
Huh??

Where did the UA website mess up? When did it tell the OP that their booked flights were sufficient?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, ex-NW PE
Originally Posted by Often1
OP - Please cut & paste the t&c. We can better advise with those in front of us.
Below is the e-mail sent to me:

Hello sme2009

We’re always glad to hear from MileagePlus® members like you. Thanks for writing.

Congratulations! You have been awarded Premier 1K® status in the MileagePlus® program! This will make your travel with us comfortable, simple and more rewarding than ever.

Your status will be effective for 90 days. Your 90 day timeframe will be September 18, 2012 through December 17, 2012. To remain a Premier 1K member through 2012, you will need to fly 35,000 paid, qualifying miles or 40 segments on qualifying flights* within that 90-day timeframe.

If you meet the above required paid flight miles or segment threshold, a Premier 1K kit will be issued and mailed to you. Until you have a card, be sure to add your MileagePlus number to your reservation in order to benefit from your elite status.

*Qualifying flights must be operated by United, United Express, or Copa with a United or Copa flight number and credited to the member's MileagePlus account. Flights operated by United, United Express, or Copa that have a partner’s codeshare flight number do not qualify. Flights operated by any other airline do not qualify.

Premier 1K status can be earned each year by flying 100,000 Premier status miles (PQM) or 120 Premier status segments (PQS) between January 1 and December 31 of each calendar year. You earn PQM and PQS on qualifying purchased flights on United and United Express and the Star Alliance members. For a current list of Star Alliance member airlines, please visit www.united.com/staralliance.

For details about the MileagePlus Premier program, visit www.united.com/premier. MileagePlus members are only allowed to earn Premier status through the Premier Status Match program just one time.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Sorry but this seems pretty clear --

Originally Posted by sme2009
To remain a Premier 1K member through 2012, you will need to fly 35,000 paid, qualifying miles
Need to fly, nothing about PQMs...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.