Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum/1K availability on ExpertFlyer?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2012, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Platinum/1K availability on ExpertFlyer?

I am an UAL Platinum and am trying to find award business class availability to/from SYD in Feb and March. On the UAL website, when I log-in, I show availability for March 15, SYD-LAX, in First. However, when searching ExpertFlyer it shows nothing. I just signed up for expertflyer to create a search/alert for this so I don't have to search everyday, but if it can't search the Platinum/1K availability, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

On a second note, what are the odds of seats opening up on a saver award for that route? Have I missed the boat?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 3:16 pm

This should give you a good idea of the fare class breakdown. Be aware that there are elite buckets with a (N) after the class. So, the elite First class bucket is ON instead of O. If you select ON as the fare class on expertflyer's award search, it should be consistent with UA.

More details here: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...he-new-united/

As far as odds of seats opening up a month or two in advance, I'd say they are slim. However, I guarantee you that seats will open up within 4 days of departure if there are greater than 2 F seats available for sale. Pick a date 3 or 4 days from now as an example.

Good luck!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 3:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by atcguy
... On a second note, what are the odds of seats opening up on a saver award for that route? Have I missed the boat?
At this point, (2-3 months out), it probably will be much closer to flight time before (and if) more inventory will be available.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 4:55 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

I am an UAL Platinum and am trying to find award business class availability to/from SYD in Feb and March. On the UAL website, when I log-in, I show availability for March 15, SYD-LAX, in First. However, when searching ExpertFlyer it shows nothing. I just signed up for expertflyer to create a search/alert for this so I don't have to search everyday, but if it can't search the Platinum/1K availability, I'm not sure if it's worth it.
Originally Posted by cooltyler
This should give you a good idea of the fare class breakdown. Be aware that there are elite buckets with a (N) after the class. So, the elite First class bucket is ON instead of O. If you select ON as the fare class on expertflyer's award search, it should be consistent with UA.
As cooltyler noted, the search on ExpertFlyer for ON shows that there is 1 award ticket left for UA 840 on March 15. However be advised, as of Feb 1, ON class will just represent upgrades and all First awards will be from O class. UA is eliminating the additional elite First award inventory.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:06 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
As cooltyler noted, the search on ExpertFlyer for ON shows that there is 1 award ticket left for UA 840 on March 15. However be advised, as of Feb 1, ON class will just represent upgrades and all First awards will be from O class. UA is eliminating the additional elite First award inventory.
Why am I not surprised to learn this?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
Good info, thanks. What about for Business?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 9:16 pm

This only affects first class on 3 class cabin planes.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 2:05 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by edcho
This only affects first class on 3 class cabin planes.
While ON > O is quite common, IN and I are mostly zero all the time, at least for international flights. So the Platinum/1K advantage in award availability will practically be just in Economy only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.