Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

4 December - UA 787 #3902 Diverted to MSY (flight 1146)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum

I was on Flight 1146 (787 #3902) this morning, when we had a power/electrical issue. We've ended up being diverted to MSY and they are bringing in a replacement aircraft to continue on. About 75 minutes into the flight the electrical power flickered a couple of times and then I noticed us making a long right hand turn. I was expecting us to be headed back to IAH. Once the AVOD got rebooted I checked the online map and it showed us headed to MSY with a landing in 30 minutes. Up till this point no announcement had been made, so on the way back from a trip to the washroom, I asked one of the FA's when they would be making an announcement about the diversion. She was shocked that I knew about it, and asked how did I know. I calmly replied that the flight map now shows us heading for a MSY landing at 9:25. A few minutes after this, one of the FA's announce the diversion.

Last edited by drowelf; Dec 4, 2012 at 4:59 pm
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I see the tracking on flight aware. I wounder why the plane went to MSY, looks like it would have been just as close to return to IAH. MSY ground staffe has probably not seen a 787.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:31 am

Looks like a 762 flight 6852 is leaving IAH now to pick you up.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I see the tracking on flight aware. I wounder why the plane went to MSY, looks like it would have been just as close to return to IAH. MSY ground staffe has probably not seen a 787.
At first I thought we might be doing just that. What got my attention was that we did a long right turn. It almost seemed that we might have done a 180, but it turned out not to be.

And yes, MSY is not ready for the 787. We had to park away from the gate and they brought up a stairway to deplane us. Also I would suspect that they would also have to bring mechanics out from IAH to service the plane, as I doubt any at MSY are 787 qualified.

The ground staff here is quite happy to get a look as they are taking turns going out and checking it out.

It was interesting deplaning down the stairs. Got a close up look at the plane from the ground. I never realized just how big the engine intakes are.

Wish I could have lingered on the tarmac to get some pictures, but the TSA and Police on hand were discouraging that.

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Looks like a 762 flight 6852 is leaving IAH now to pick you up.
Not quite yet. Its now got a 12 (CST) depature. We have a 2:10 depature scheduled as UA 1755 at this point.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 4, 2012 at 8:41 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by drowelf
I was on Flight 146 (787 #3902) this morning,
Do you have the correct flight number?

edit: Nevermind, found it's UAL1146
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...330Z/KIAH/KEWR
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:25 pm

Looks like the EWR->IAH flight this afternoon got a 757-200 subbed in... hope none of you are on that flight. Talk about a letdown.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by drowelf
I was on Flight 146 (787 #3902) this morning, when we had a power/electrical issue. We've ended up being diverted to MSY and they are bringing in a replacement aircraft to continue on. About 75 minutes into the flight the electrical power flickered a couple of times and then I noticed us making a long right hand turn. I was expecting us to be headed back to IAH. Once the AVOD got rebooted I checked the online map and it showed us headed to MSY with a landing in 30 minutes. Up till this point no announcement had been made, so on the way back from a trip to the washroom, I asked one of the FA's when they would be making an announcement about the diversion. She was shocked that I knew about it, and asked how did I know. I calmly replied that the flight map now shows us heading for a MSY landing at 9:25. A few minutes after this, one of the FA's announce the diversion.
Maybe United is keeping boeing's dream tour going
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:42 pm

Made the news here in Chicago:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,6952404.story
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Interesting that (according to FlightAware) they actually dropped from FL410 to FL350 in the ~6 minutes before they turned around and headed for MSY, and then continued the descent down to FL290 after the turn.

Makes it looks like they knew there was a problem 6 minutes before they turned.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, BA
Originally Posted by ualisthebst
And in Houston. http://www.chron.com/business/articl...cy-4090240.php
Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
Tomorrow's IAH-DEN-IAH-LAX-IAH flights (which had been schduled to be operated by #3902) are now showing as being operated by aircraft #3905. Is that a fourth 787? I don't think I've seen that aircraft in revenue service yet.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by twoaisleplane
Tomorrow's IAH-DEN-IAH-LAX-IAH flights (which had been schduled to be operated by #3902) are now showing as being operated by aircraft #3905. Is that a fourth 787? I don't think I've seen that aircraft in revenue service yet.
I noticed the same here for Thursday IAH-EWR-IAH-SFO - according to a Boeing Paine Field tracking site, it's parked there doing final delivery checks, but not sure how current that listing is...
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Wow, the 787 isnt having very good luck with UA. My flight on 12/1 got swapped SFO-IAH.... and (I know its an FA talking) but he told me they've having tons of electrical issues and to avoid the 787 for a couple months until they work them out. I've heard story after story of aircraft swaps the last couple of weeks!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:04 pm

Flight now enroute to EWR using the 767 but the flight number is now 1755. Why do they change the flight number. I have seen other diversions but they keep the number. Is it because of the aircraft change.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Wow, the 787 isnt having very good luck with UA. My flight on 12/1 got swapped SFO-IAH.... and (I know its an FA talking) but he told me they've having tons of electrical issues and to avoid the 787 for a couple months until they work them out. I've heard story after story of aircraft swaps the last couple of weeks!
I doubt they can get these aircraft ETOPS certified any time soon. We'll probably see them flying domestically for a while longer until they get the reliability up. If you think getting maintenance done in MSY is challenging, imagine trying to do it in ADK after a diversion of a DEN-NRT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.