Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As of the last update from an inside source, the meal choice prioritization policy is to prioritize in this order:

1. Global Services
2. Premier 1K
3. All other revenue passengers
4. Nonrevs

This prioritization is done in the galley, after taking orders. If you saw a flight crew take orders front to back, but did not see any GS/1K passengers denied their first choice, you have not witnessed a violation of the policy. Indeed, taking orders front to back is correct under the policy.

Post #30
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As several of you have mentioned, there has been no procedure change to prioritizing premium cabin meal orders.

As a reminder, our standard procedure is to take meal orders from front to back of the cabin and ask for a second choice in case your first choice is not available. After meal orders are taken, our inflight crew will prioritize meal orders in the galley. This way, we can streamline the order-taking processes while eliminating skipping around the cabin for order-taking.

-UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Thanks! Is it still GS, then 1K, then everyone else front to back? As in, 1K hasn't been pulled from priority as some FAs have told us?
Hi, UA-NYC,

Yes, your assertion is accurate. Premier 1K will still be prioritized as you stated, but again, this is to be done in the galley.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

Current UA Process for Prioritizing Meal Orders in Premium Cabins [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:14 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
PMCO crew on a 739 tonight (new interior, no E+ or DTV). Orders taken front to back (was in 3F) and didn't get a choice. Did get heartburn, so there's that.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by 168
IAH-LAX was downgraded from 787 to CO 777. It seems FA was skipping around taking meal orders. He informed my seatmate, also 1k, and me that pasta is all they have. Sitting toward the back and right side of the plane, we were the last getting our meal order. The plane must be full of GS and 1Ks before he get to us.....

After I finished my dry up penna, walked up to the galley and saw another FA having beef for dinner. I guess working for UA is the sure way of getting meal of your choice.
What's wrong with that? Should a FA sacrifice his/her meal for your choice?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by glasnost7
PMCO crew on a 739 tonight (new interior, no E+ or DTV). Orders taken front to back (was in 3F) and didn't get a choice. Did get heartburn, so there's that.
my chicken meal tonight gave me... um... let's call it an "upset stomach" and leave it at that. on an MR and about to board another sCO 738 in 90 minutes so hopefully it'll be better this time around.

Originally Posted by ben237829624
What's wrong with that? Should a FA sacrifice his/her meal for your choice?
yes. we're the customer.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by glasnost7
Just finished a bunch of MRs.

All pmUA flights (and I mean all) were done front->back (I was usually in 3B/6B and on almost all the flights and had no choice, not that I care that much between the lousy salad or the lousy burger but hey).

All pmCO flights (n=3) the FAs went around and asked the 1ks (and I guess GSs) what they wanted first (done kinda awkwardly too - verbiage was generally "since you're our valued customer we want to make sure you get your meal choice - what will it be?).

Guess this puts the stake through the heart of the claim that pmCO FAs would have issues with the policy due to not respecting elites.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
MCO-DEN with a wonderful PMUA crew. Got to six in my favorite 757 seat (6A), and had no problem with getting my first choice for lunch. (chicken or pasta). Last time I sat in 6A, I got stuck with the taco bell burrito.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by andrewwm
.... All pmUA flights (and I mean all) were done front->back....
it was common PMUA process to takes request front->back and handle the prioritization in the gallery. Use that method would minimized the "in your face" approach of hopping around the cabin.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
it was common PMUA process to takes request front->back and handle the prioritization in the gallery. Use that method would minimized the "in your face" approach of hopping around the cabin.
That would make sense....except I watched them count up (on every flight - I was trying to pay close attention) the meals everyone had chosen (usually around row 5) and then just inform everyone in row 6 what they were getting since usually the salad or the cereal was gone by then.

Don't get me wrong - the service was generally good so I'm not really complaining. But it's pretty clear that most pmUA FAs aren't respecting the new rules on meals by status, unlike the pmCO FAs. My n=12 or so in the last few weeks, so I feel it's not totally unrepresentative.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Which should be the method IMO.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 1:32 am

I take major issue with the conclusion you drew out in your previous post - how "it's clear" that pmUA attendants are not "respecting" the new rules while pmCO attendents are. That's quite a large brush your using to paint out this picture with, and I fail to understand how your own singular travels are somehow going to be the definitive proof needed to end any debate on FT. That's quite a stretch..

A more likely reality is that both sides are going to have those who follow and those who don't. This is a policy switch for both sides, but one that is entirely new to only one side. I think its perfectly understandable if the pmCO folks are going to need time to adjust and be comfortable with this new policy. In fact, I'm less generous with my understanding when it comes to the pmUA side, as this is not a new policy for them.

Nonetheless, I try not to extrapolate as sweeping conclusions from my own travels. In the last three weeks, my travel has consisted of as follows:

pmUA:

SFO-JFK (yes)
SFO-ORD (no)
SFO-IAD (yes)
IAD-SFO (yes)

pmCO:

EWR-SFO (yes)
ORD-SFO (yes)
SFO-EWR (no)
EWR-SFO (no)

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 19, 2012 at 8:47 am Reason: Removed now-deleted quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
sCO crew today on LGA-IAH. FA did not follow the new procedure. I was in the last row in F and was only presented with what was left. I can't remember the last time that has happened on this airline, new or old version.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 5:21 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by tuolumne
pmCO:

EWR-SFO (yes)
ORD-SFO (yes)
SFO-EWR (no)
EWR-SFO (no)
Interesting your SFO-EWR/EWR-SFO experiences. I took my first CO flight last week SFO-EWR on the 757 with flatbed seats. I was quite excited to see how the other side lives, especially in first on what I believe to be a premium route (although not p.s., I know). It was about the worst cabin service I have ever had, other than a truly disasterous experience in GF IAD-LHR.

The reason I bring up is not to bash but to point out from seat 1B I could hear a rather heated discussion between the two FA's about how to take meal orders. The one who was working the cabin indicated he always goes back to front and doesn't give priority to anyone. The FA who primarily worked from the galley for the flight was indicating he should go from the front and take it by status. Neither were the flight service director (or whatever that purser-like title was).

In the end, he went from the front. Since I was in row 1 and got to order second, I'm not sure if he prioritized by status and what I would have gotten for choices if I were in the last row. But within this CO crew there was clearly no consensus on how to do this.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 4:59 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Well just boarded my TPAC and I'm informed that the new meal priority is..

GM first, with kettle endorsement

Rest of cabin.

It looks like the Mayans were right......
Old Dec 23, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, UA Plat, 2MM, AS MVPG
Meal choice

On an early flight from SEA-ORD on a 757 last week. UA metal. In row 6. When the FA got to me she said, "Would you like the cereal or nothing?" I replied, "I understand you're taking orders by status again." She said, " Yes, there are 23 GS and you."

hahahahahahahahaha
Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Plus
"yes. we're the customer"

You seriously believe you should get the option of taking the FAs meal because you did not get your FC meal choice? Talking about over entitled...
Old Dec 24, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Banton
On an early flight from SEA-ORD on a 757 last week. UA metal. In row 6. When the FA got to me she said, "Would you like the cereal or nothing?" I replied, "I understand you're taking orders by status again." She said, " Yes, there are 23 GS and you."

hahahahahahahahaha
That would have earned that FA a note from me to customer service. And I would have told them that. UA put a policy in place that the FA clearly knew and deliberately decided to ignore it. That is insubordination and a snarky comment to you about it is rude and uncalled for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.