Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SK in trouble -- what's UA's obligation to me?

Old Nov 12, 2012, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum

All,

Looks like SAS is in some real financial trouble. I just booked a J award on SAS using UA miles for travel in September 2013. My destination is AMS, which is served wholly on UA metal from the USA.

If SAS goes belly up before my travel date, what is UA's obligation to me? Are they obligated to book me in J on their own metal, even if no saver space is available, or am I just due a refund of the SK portion of the itinerary? The return is on OS.

Thanks.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sas-cu...095209184.html

Last edited by DHAST; Nov 12, 2012 at 5:10 pm Reason: edited for clarity
Old Nov 12, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by DHAST
All,

Looks like SAS is in some real financial trouble. I just booked a J award using UA miles for travel in September 2013. My destination is AMS, which is served wholly on UA metal from the USA.

If SAS goes belly up before my travel date, what is UA's obligation to me? Are they obligated to book me in J on their own metal, even if no saver space is available, or am I just due a refund of the SK portion of the itinerary? The return is on OS.

Thanks.
Q
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sas-cu...095209184.html
I don't get what your question is? You used UA miles & are flying to AMS on UA correct? So what does SAS have to do with your ticket

FYI. SAS is not going belly up any time soon. They are cutting flights & laying off people. Just like almost every airline has done in the past including UA

If you used UA miles for an SAS ticket & your SAS flight is cancelled, UA will rebook you on another *A carrier with award space available. If no award space is avail UA might open space for you on their own flights or offer you a refund
Old Nov 12, 2012, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I don't get what your question is? You used UA miles & are flying to AMS on UA correct? So what does SAS have to do with your ticket

FYI. SAS is not going belly up any time soon. They are cutting flights & laying off people. Just like almost every airline has done in the past including UA

If you used UA miles for an SAS ticket & your SAS flight is cancelled, UA will rebook you on another *A carrier with award space available. If no award space is avail UA might open space for you on their own flights or offer you a refund
I realize now that my question wasn't totally clear... I'm booked on SK metal using UA miles.

When you say "offer me a refund" in the literal sense where I can decline that and force them to transport me in my ticketed class of service, or was that a nice way of saying that they will tell me where to stick it and I'm on my own?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by DHAST
I realize now that my question wasn't totally clear... I'm booked on SK metal using UA miles.

When you say "offer me a refund" in the literal sense where I can decline that and force them to transport me in my ticketed class of service, or was that a nice way of saying that they will tell me where to stick it and I'm on my own?
They will open up space on United flights. This is easy since UA serves AMS.

You are worrying about nothing, and the flight is 10 months away. There will be a dozen schedule changes between now and then.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 6:23 pm
Suspended

SK may eventually be bought by someone like LH, but they are not going to disappear by next September.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oldgoldflyer
SK may eventually be bought by someone like LH, but they are not going to disappear by next September.
Sweet. We booked a 12 hour layover in CPH on purpose... I actually want to see a bit of the city. As a side note, we had to book this as part of an RT, as we have a stopover coming home. So I couldn't just book the return without booking the nonstop.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: Free Agent
One thing that I find interesting here is that as part of the crisis plan for SAS, the executives are taking salary cuts ranging from 12 to 23% along with everyone else. If it was a US company, you know that the executives would be cutting everything before ever touching their own compensation...
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
future of SAS

The Scandinavian countries won't allow SAS to go bankrupt i.e. SAS is not MALEV, and Denmark is not Hungary!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
They will open up space on United flights. This is easy since UA serves AMS. ...
while I agree this would be a likely response if needed, there is no requirement or standing policy to do this.

.... You are worrying about nothing, and the flight is 10 months away. ....
probably the most pertinent statement, time of lots of things to happen or not.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They will open up space on United flights. This is easy since UA serves AMS.
They should rebook, but I know the case of an award booking at last New Years' holiday, when LH downsized schedule eliminating a flight, where a 1K friend of mine had a C-award reservation on. UA claimed, there was no award space on alternate flights and offered to refund tickets & miles. It took multiple attempts to finally get alternate flights confirmed.

IMHO, OP is smart to look ahead and be proactive in case things over at SAS fall apart.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 1:17 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
The Scandinavian countries won't allow SAS to go bankrupt i.e. SAS is not MALEV, and Denmark is not Hungary!
Are you sure? I thought the EU was preventing the governments from sticking more money in. If not, I am not so sure the Norwegian and Danish governments want to put more money into SAS. Last I heard, the Swedish, Norwegian* and Danish governments were asking the EU if they could guarantee the new loans in the case that SAS does go belly-up. That is much different that sticking money in to keep them afloat.

*Corrected statement from Finnish to Norwegian

Last edited by livious; Nov 13, 2012 at 2:20 am
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:07 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by livious
Are you sure? I thought the EU was preventing the governments from sticking more money in. If not, I am not so sure the Norwegian and Danish governments want to put more money into SAS. Last I heard, the Swedish, Finnish and Danish governments were asking the EU if they could guarantee the new loans in the case that SAS does go belly-up. That is much different that sticking money in to keep them afloat.
Norwegian, rather. Finland has its own airline.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 3:39 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by SeattleFlyerGuy
One thing that I find interesting here is that as part of the crisis plan for SAS, the executives are taking salary cuts ranging from 12 to 23% along with everyone else. If it was a US company, you know that the executives would be cutting everything before ever touching their own compensation...
Not true at all. Plenty of stories of American CEO's taking huge salary cuts & even no salary when their companies are in trouble. Just not something done in the airline business (though there was a CEO that took a $1 salary when his airline went chap 11, I'll look that up & see who it was).
Old Nov 13, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Not true at all. Plenty of stories of American CEO's taking huge salary cuts & even no salary when their companies are in trouble. Just not something done in the airline business (though there was a CEO that took a $1 salary when his airline went chap 11, I'll look that up & see who it was).
I can't find the link... but I *think*(only about 75% sure) it was AA's Arpey. I also seem to recall it was after 9/11 (rather then the recent BK, as he resigned pre-filing). It might have been reveald in a documentary on AA.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:04 am

Gordon Bethune and Larry Kellner have all taken no salary before when CO lost money.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.