Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weight limit on carry-on?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2012, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Weight limit on carry-on?

I can't seem to find anything regarding this on here, just lots of complaints/issues regarding size. I believe the website used to say something along the lines of "passenger must be able to lift it into the overhead bin unassisted."

Anyway, I have over 100 pounds of coins to repatriate to Europe... Obviously it would be quite difficult to carry anything near that quantity at once, just wondering what I *should* be able to get away with, storing some in a messenger bag underneath the seat in front of me and some overhead in my regulation sized bag.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
I can't seem to find anything regarding this on here, just lots of complaints/issues regarding size. I believe the website used to say something along the lines of "passenger must be able to lift it into the overhead bin unassisted."

Anyway, I have over 100 pounds of coins to repatriate to Europe... Obviously it would be quite difficult to carry anything near that quantity at once, just wondering what I *should* be able to get away with, storing some in a messenger bag underneath the seat in front of me and some overhead in my regulation sized bag.
I would not push more than 35. I think regulation is 25.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
On many foreign carriers, the weight limits for carry-ons are far more stringent and actually enforced.

When flying EasyJet, every carry-on is weighed and sized.

I have even had my carry-on weighed when flying J on AF.

As far as weight limits on UA, I have never seen a carry-on weighed, but on most planes, the weight limit for each section of overhead bins (which I believe measures about 3 rows) is 125-150 lbs.

So I don't think one 100 lb bag would be appropriate as a carry-on.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Never seen any weighed, and I have not seen any scales at the gate. Just don't act labored, and put the bulk on the floor. You don't want to hurt yourself lifting the heavy bag up anyways. Off-topic, but check if you need to declare with US Customs if the value exceeds $10k.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Never seen any weighed, and I have not seen any scales at the gate. Just don't act labored, and put the bulk on the floor. You don't want to hurt yourself lifting the heavy bag up anyways. Off-topic, but check if you need to declare with US Customs if the value exceeds $10k.
Yes, any amount $10,000 or greater in currency/monetary instruments must be declared upon departure from the United States, using Form finCEN 105.

Here is the link to the sample form:
http://www.fincen.gov/forms/files/fin105_cmir.pdf

It may also need to be declared upon entry at your point of arrival.

If these are collectors' coins, they could also be subject to an import duty in your destination country.

Last edited by TWA Fan 1; Oct 7, 2012 at 9:27 pm
Old Oct 7, 2012, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
OT:

I had my rollaboard weighed when I flew BR. An agent standing by the jetway simply picked up each person's bag and determined right there whether it was overweight or not (mine was ). I think the limit was 10kg, but I could be wrong about that.

Another time flying SQ, I packed about 30 freshly printed books into my rollaboard. It must have weighed 50 lbs. The FA even offered to help me put that monster in the overhead bin.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
OT:

I had my rollaboard weighed when I flew BR. An agent standing by the jetway simply picked up each person's bag and determined right there whether it was overweight or not (mine was ). I think the limit was 10kg, but I could be wrong about that.

Another time flying SQ, I packed about 30 freshly printed books into my rollaboard. It must have weighed 50 lbs. The FA even offered to help me put that monster in the overhead bin.
Here is a webpage (from 2009) that lists carry on weight limits.

Although the data could certainly be out of date now, the weight limit listed for UA is "none." SQ is listed as 15 lbs (about 7 kg). Ha ha...

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/flying...orld-airlines/
Old Oct 7, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
I have more then once weighed my carry-on work gear bag as comming in at more then 65LB
I've not even been questioned on it by UA
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:32 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
There is no weight limit for UA.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Bigzamboni

Just remember that it could fall out of the rack and hit you in he head.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rkkwan

Yep, was planning to just roll imy bag on, quickly pull it out and slide it under the seat in front of me. Won't even take longer than some people need in the aisles to do whatever it is they do. Currently in bank bags each weighing around 15kg each, which volume-wise, doesn't take up much space.

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Yes, any amount $10,000 or greater in currency/monetary instruments must be declared upon departure from the United States, using Form finCEN 105.

It may also need to be declared upon entry at your point of arrival.

If these are collectors' coins, they could also be subject to an import duty in your destination country.

It might end up being over 10,000 coins, but nowhere near that in dollars.

A mix of current European and still-exchangeable, well-circulated legacy currencies, so I don't think anything would really be considered collectible, if I even get close to 430€ at a time with non-current stuff.

Also a direct flight, so no need to worry about the miserly inter-Euro limits, though on connections I guess they complain less.

While I know valuables aren't covered by the luggage liability, wonder some of the 1-5 cent stuff is safe in checked baggage. It would certainly be difficult for a baggage handler to walk away with a 15kg bag of coins.. And even more difficult for some TSA-Goon to try and pawn off if they wanted to try looting it anyway.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:54 pm

i was pretty sure somewhere on United that carry-on bags were limited to 40lbs, but can't seem to find it right now.

i remember because I was thinking how Silvers only get 1 bag free but i can essentially carry on another baggage 80% the weight of my free bag .

(gosh i need to make it back to star gold soon)
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:34 am

Programs: UA MP 1K 2MM
Remember that however lenient UA may be, LH or UA-codeshares on LH are subject to the strict 8kg limit--most of the time. It may be randomly enforced, but it has been enforced on every LH TATL flight I've been on in the past few years.

No one has raised questions on lifting this bag up for TSA inspection--I was once queried on a carryon at BDL because I had about $10 in quarters in the bag. 100 lbs of coins might trigger some mild curiosity from a TSA screener.

Flyer 420
in Seattle
Old Oct 8, 2012, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by myperks
i was pretty sure somewhere on United that carry-on bags were limited to 40lbs, but can't seem to find it right now.
I recollect 18kg which would jive with your 40lbs.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 1:34 am

Programs: UA Gold, MM, Hyatt Globalist
Last week on one of my UA flights (I think EWR-NRT) they announced a weight limit for carryon bags. I believe it was either 20 lbs or 20 kilos. They didn't weigh the bags or seem to take any action to enforce it, but I don't recall hearing the announcement before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.