Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Paying for flights with pre-paid or multiple cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2012, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Anyone know if its possible to pay for flights booked on United.com with pre-paid Visa/MC cards. Or while on the payment topic, is it possible to split the cost between two regular credit cards.

Got a pre-paid MC gift card that I'd like to use, but it won't cover the cost completely. Didn't see a way to add a second card, either, to split the cost. Also wondering, more out of curiosity, if its possible to split the cost between two regular CCs. If not possible to do this whole transaction online, can one book the itin online, select the pay by phone option and then do the transaction this way?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 8:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Anyone know if its possible to pay for flights booked on United.com with pre-paid Visa/MC cards. ...
do not see why not

Or while on the payment topic, is it possible to split the cost between two regular credit cards. ...
believe the answer is no
Old Sep 16, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
...is it possible to split the cost between two regular credit cards.
Yes, though in a roundabout fashion. Buy a united.com gift card for $X. Input the gift card code at time of ticket purchase and pay the remainder on another cc.
Icydubloon likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:29 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
My $0.02 is that you are only asking for headaches using a PP or gift card to buy an airline ticket.

Suggest you use a card in your name for airline, and save the gift/PP card to buy a meal or two, when you reach your destination.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by boat9781
Yes, though in a roundabout fashion. Buy a united.com gift card for $X. Input the gift card code at time of ticket purchase and pay the remainder on another cc.
Yes, its doable via this approach. If you already have a travel bank/gift registry setup in your account, then its easier to use that to charge the gift amount using your first card (either a credit card or a prepaid gift MC/AMEX). The $ amount will then be shown (deposited) into your travel bank and can be used to pay for ticket purchase (either alone or with another credit card).

One thing to keep in mind, when using prepaid gift MC/Amex, is that the airline would first verify your payment by a trial charge in the amount of $1, then proceed with charging the purchase amount. If you charge the whole balance of your prepaid gift card, the charge may not go thru. Therefore you need account for the trial charge (temporary hold) by reducing the total payment by $1 from your current balance. Typically the trial charge ($1) would come off of your payment account in 7-10 days. I've done this before with prepaid Amex gift card and I always registered my gift card (name, home address, etc) with Amex, to prevent other issues with online purchase.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 8:12 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Prepaid cards - no problems

Splitting - not as easy, though if it's a fairly even split you could consider doing it as two one ways.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: United 1k , Hertz President's Circle, Avis President's Club, Marriott Platinum, SPG platinum
I have multiple gift cards(Visa Giftcard(non united) that amount to about $500. A flight I am looking at costs 680 dollars. Is there a way to split it across those multiple gift cards+ the rest on a Credit Card(FWIW I have the mileage plus explorer card)
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Splitting cards is nearly impossible unless you do what deltame suggested. Place an amount into travel bank and then pay for the remainder with another card. I get prepaid gift cards, and while BA accepts them, UA doesn't always accept them.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: United 1k , Hertz President's Circle, Avis President's Club, Marriott Platinum, SPG platinum
Unfortunately it looks like the travel bank has been disabled:

"We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. We expect the page to be up and running again in early 2018. "
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by ordflyer18

"We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. We expect the page to be up and running again in early 2018. "
so it seems. there was no announcement around it. that's too bad.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
Originally Posted by ordflyer18

so it seems. there was no announcement around it. that's too bad.
The Travel Bank has been closed to cash infusions for about a year, see https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...om-club-q.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 8, 2018 at 7:59 pm
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:28 am

Has anyone tried using Paypal to do this? I have a $200 prepaid card that I want to use as partial payment for a United ticket. I looked at Paypal and it seems I can add the pre-paid card to Paypal, set it as the "primary" card, and when it's depleted, my regular cc would get charged the remainder. It's just a theory for me right now - am wondering if anyone's actually done it in practice. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.