Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:31 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

I want to give you an update on the changes to our united.com Expert Mode feature. By now, most of you know why we made the change we did: Displaying this level of information to all customers was causing significant confusion and questions.

We remain committed to providing information that makes your travel planning experience better, but there is a difference between a feature like Expert Mode -- which is understood by a select set of customers, and new features we’re developing like upgrade status visibility -- which is more easily understood by all customers. I’m happy to say that, as a direct result of your feedback, we have worked hard to accelerate a couple solutions that accomplish this goal.

Within the next two weeks we will:
  • Introduce improved upgrade status visibility for all customers. As many of you have seen in our preview site, this feature makes it easier for customers to review their upgrade status on flights for which they have waitlisted for an upgrade, as well as check Complimentary Premier Upgrade eligibility and status. This feature is the direct result of your feedback and will be available to all customers when viewing their reservation on united.com
    Update added as post #267 on 9/21

• Re-launch of Expert Mode as an opt-in feature. We will re-introduce the ability to view fare-class level information (a.k.a. Expert Mode) to customers who choose this setting in their online MileagePlus profile. This will enable the same level of fare class detail previously displayed to all customers. I’ll post the details about how exactly to configure this setting once it launches
    Update added as post #327 on 9/24
Like you, we wish we could have made these changes concurrently. That said, we appreciate your patience over the next couple of weeks while we roll these out. Thank you as always for your feedback.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
Markalta likes this.

Last edited by UA Insider; Sep 24, 2012 at 1:11 pm Reason: Added links to updates
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A larger number of pre-2016 posts have been moved to Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 27, 2019 at 8:42 pm
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:23 pm

Programs: United-GOLD, AA
UA-Expert Mode

Hi all,
It's been a while...in the new "expert" mode view, are the fare upgrade classes the same? ie: R/RN=econ-bz upgrade. Also I use to have a script running that would highlight my favorite fare codes: can I get the link to run it?

And, since then I'm Premier Gold, are there any upgrade codes for Gold econ>bz? Anyway could I get the link to the fare upgrade codes ? Are any of the rules changed?

With appreciation,
Peppermint
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:42 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
The buckets are the same.

Not sure what you mean by "upgrade codes." There are discount business/first fare classes which sometimes agents mistake as being economy fares with a "free upgrade." You can find the ones which are offered via a fare search for business or first; the site unless you ask for a specific fare class will return the cheapest premium cabin fares available, e.g. an A or P fare if offered.

As a Gold, an instrument upgrade (using miles + copay) is possible, of course. We need specifics on route and date to give a better idea on the chances. You may find that a paid upgrade / upgrade for cash is a better deal in some cases, though, and is often available as the fare difference from the economy fare to the discount premium cabin fare (there are threads on the complexities thereof; I don't have one handy, but we had a great analysis posted earlier this year on the premium cabin fares in various markets).
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by exerda
...we had a great analysis posted earlier this year on the premium cabin fares in various markets).
Here you go...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-united-6.html
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by pbh220
Hi all,
It's been a while...in the new "expert" mode view, are the fare upgrade classes the same? ie: R/RN=econ-bz upgrade. Also I use to have a script running that would highlight my favorite fare codes: can I get the link to run it?

And, since then I'm Premier Gold, are there any upgrade codes for Gold econ>bz? Anyway could I get the link to the fare upgrade codes ? Are any of the rules changed?

With appreciation,
Peppermint
R is the fare bucket for any upgrades you would get as a Gold member. PN is used for GS (and instant upgrades on Y/B fares, and M for 1K).
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Also I use to have a script running that would highlight my favorite fare codes: can I get the link to run it? ...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nited-com.html

... since then I'm Premier Gold, are there any upgrade codes for Gold econ>bz? Anyway could I get the link to the fare upgrade codes ? ...
explanation of fare codes in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...uckets-ua.html.
Markalta likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by aphoward13
R is the fare bucket for any upgrades you would get as a Gold member. PN is used for GS (and instant upgrades on Y/B fares, and M for 1K).
Clarification on the PN bucket for instant upgrades. PN is the upgrade bucket for instant upgrades for GS and 1k on Y, B, M. RN is used for instant upgrades for Plat and below on Y, B fares.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by VWang1111
Clarification on the PN bucket for instant upgrades. PN is the upgrade bucket for instant upgrades for GS and 1k on Y, B, M. RN is used for instant upgrades for Plat and below on Y, B fares.
Is this documented anywhere? Ran a few searches and everything I'm finding from this year indicates PN for all instant upgrades, no mention of RN.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
I use to have a script running that would highlight my favorite fare codes: can I get the link to run it?
This thread raises an interesting question.

Now, United finds it obvious that they should game us with all the data science they can muster, while keeping us as far in the dark as possible. Shutting down ExpertFlyer R fare searches was just a tiny skirmish in this war. A decade from now, the successor techies at United will be baffled, what were people thinking back in this primitive era? United should be providing better agents than people can code for themselves, watching everything of interest at United on behalf of each customer, having intelligent AI conversations with each customer to learn exactly what we want. Why? Because the more we know, the more we spend.

It's so easy for United to get entrenched in battle formation, keep customers as uninformed as possible, isn't that the game? When will United realize that the real money is in providing expert tools to customers who can't code for themselves?

Last edited by Syzygies; Jul 21, 2016 at 10:25 pm
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by aphoward13
Is this documented anywhere? Ran a few searches and everything I'm finding from this year indicates PN for all instant upgrades, no mention of RN.
By United no, in FT, see recent posts in
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...does-work.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...uckets-ua.html

Originally Posted by Syzygies
... It's so easy for United to get entrenched in battle formation, keep customers as uninformed as possible, isn't that the game? When will United realize that the real money is in providing expert tools to customers who can't code for themselves?
Missing EF or KVS access to R as much as anyone, UA provides more info than other domestic legacy carriers.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:13 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
issue with xpertmode now fixed
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:01 am

Programs: CO Plat
Question International upgrade requested

How can I check on UA.com if there is first class available for upgrades?

I am booked on IAH-SCL return at the end of January, and requested an upgrade online, $500 + 25K miles each way. UA charged me and deducted miles, and my status is "upgrade requested".

Read through earlier posts and set my profile to 'expert mode', but now unsure what to do next to see upgrade availability.

Thanks for any help.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:47 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
I would think the bigger issue is that there isn't international first (now polaris first) on IAH-SCL
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: CO Plat
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
I would think the bigger issue is that there isn't international first (now polaris first) on IAH-SCL
Just looking for some help on navigating the site. Whether you call it Polaris or First or BusinessFirst, it's all still the front of the plane. Slapping a new label doesn't make the nuts any warmer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.