Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Fees for a change or cancellation:

• There are fees for some changes and cancellations, so please check the chart below for details. These fees apply to MileagePlus® awards on United, United Express®, Star Alliance® airline partners and other airline partners.
  • When requesting a change for more than one ticket, the fee applies to each ticket separately. If two people are traveling together and make a change, for example, there will be a fee for both.
  • When flying with one of our Star Alliance partners, changes must be made at least 24 hours before departure.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/ticketing.aspx
Print Wikipost

General award ticket change/cancellation/redeposit/fees questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2013, 3:42 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by jasonvr
If you are changing the date of xxx-hhh to a date more than 21 days away from the date the change is initiated, and the airlines involved remain identical, it would be free. Otherwise, there will be a fee. Just to make sure I am reading your question correctly (a little difficult to decipher), you have a stopover at xxx (which happens to be your origin) on the return and you are looking to change the length of the stopover by changing the dates of the flights after the stopover, correct?

And FYI, you should even be able to change the xxx-hhh-sss to xxx-jjj-sss or xxx-sss without a fee as long as it is more than 21 days or more before the originally scheduled xxx-hhh leg (note that this is different than above) and the airlines stay the same
correct xxx is the origin and stopover.

thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: GP plat, SPG plat
Waiving fee for 2nd change to award within 24 hours?

I understand that if I change/cancel an award within 24 hours it incurs no fees. My question is on an award that I made last week. I then changed it today (incurring 100 in fees as a silver for 2 tickets). If I made another change within 24 hours, would the fee be waived? Or would I incur another 100?

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 15, 2013, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No.

You can ask and it might be waived. But, that would be purely as a CS gesture, so ask nicely.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Unless you're changing the origin/destination or you're within 21 days of travel, even Silvers don't pay for date or routing changes (I should know, that's one of my favorite things to do is constantly look for better routes and then calling it in with the flight #'s....no change fees ever).
Old Jun 15, 2013, 5:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If you cancel within 24 hours and rebook, you can do that forever -- assuming space availability.
But if you change in the first 24 hours, there is just 1 change allowed.
Certain award changes are fee free until the 21 day window for all award tickets and other changes are partial or completely waived for elites.

Award ticketing options/service fees
Old Jun 17, 2013, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
we are currently ticketed SMF-LAX-NRT-AKL later this year on two business saver awards. it will be a bear of a 32 hour trip including a 6 hour layover at LAX. i am holding out hope for a better routing, eg., SMF-LAX-HNL/RAR-AKL...but in the interest of my sanity, I am thinking about changing to SJC-NRT-AKL.

currently SJC-NRT is open for business awards, NRT-AKL isn't but since we hold the seats already my understanding is that isn't a concern (ie, we are trading SMF-LAX-NRT for SJC-NRT). of course we would have to drive from home to SJC (3 hours+ depending on traffic) so it may not improve our overall experience that much.

as an aside we are already on NH from LAX-NRT so getting off UA and onto NH isn't a concern.

any thoughts on this strategy? better to just wait and hope on the HNL/RAR connection opening up space?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:00 am
Company Representative, United Airlines

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share with you that select award ticket change/cancel fees have changed effective today, June 19. A summary of the changes can be found at the Award ticketing options/service fees page on united.com. Some additional notes:

• These fees are applicable for tickets issued on or after today, June 19
  • Premier members are not impacted by this change

As mentioned above, complete information can be found on the relevant page on united.com, however at the very least I wanted to make sure you got the heads-up directly from me.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager – Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Old Jun 19, 2013, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Right hook, left hook. Not fun for UA folk today.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:41 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Right hook, left hook. Not fun for UA folk today.
What's next, a kick in the pants?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:57 am

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by UA Insider
...however at the very least I wanted to make sure you got the heads-up directly from me.
Thanks Aaron. We understand you are only the messenger, and we appreciate you keeping us up to date.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 6:09 am

http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...ticketing.aspx
Non-elites pay $75, $100, $200 to change tickets or recredit miles. Wow. So much for booking early and hoping better flights open up.

Last edited by rrgg; Jun 19, 2013 at 6:19 am
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rrgg
http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...ticketing.aspx
Non-elites pay $75, $100, $200 to change tickets or recredit miles. Wow. So much for booking early and hoping better flights open up.
Umm, that's still free if on the same dates.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by aacharya
Why do you think I was talking about the same dates? I've often had to book awards that are a few days off, because it's the best I can find. It just happened again last winter where I ended a trip early.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by aacharya
According to who? Read the fine print:

Fee will be charged for any change to cabin, award type, carrier, date or time.
Also, I notice they have removed all references to whether it is elite status at the time of ticketing or time of change/cancellation that matters. I currently have an award booked using my wife's miles. She was a Silver at the time of booking and has since dropped to GM, so which fee do we pay if I make a change within the 21 day boundary to capture LH F? It used to be very clear that we would pay the Silver rate, now, not so much...
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jasonvr
According to who? Read the fine print:

Also, I notice they have removed all references to whether it is elite status at the time of ticketing or time of change/cancellation that matters. I currently have an award booked using my wife's miles. She was a Silver at the time of booking and has since dropped to GM, so which fee do we pay if I make a change within the 21 day boundary to capture LH F? It used to be very clear that we would pay the Silver rate, now, not so much...
You'd pay the GM rate. It's been noted that way for years.

As for time, that's a new one at least on the page.

People in glass houses...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.