Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Competition on the NYC-HNL route: United should be worried

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I took the inaugural JFK-HNL flight on Hawaiian this week to try out the service and compare it to the UA option in the market. If I was running United I'd be concerned.

Seat
The HA seat is a bit wider. They are also apparently replacing the cushions to make them softer. In F UA still has the advantage with the BF-ish seat, but down the back the HA seat is much more comfortable. Also, the bulkheads are only $35 for the 11 hour flight.

IFE
AVOD at every seat, albeit paid for most services. And if you have your own USB-enabled device you can run the content via the IFE system. Or just charge your device via the USB port. I know that the 764s are getting upgraded but the IFE on HA is pretty solid.

Meal
HA offers free meals on the flight. They aren't particularly great, but they are there, just like "meals at mealtimes" used to be. There are also paid upgrade options on HA. I actually think the UA BoB is better.

Service
This is a harder one because I know I had one of the best HA crews they employ as it was an inaugural. Still, they kicked arse.

Flight Times
This is one where I think UA is really going to suffer. The flights on HA are ~2.5 hours earlier than the UA flights in both directions. This means being able to get to Hawaii and to your hotel, even after an inter-island connection, before sunset. UA simply doesn't have that option. Also, on the east-bound it times great for arriving in NYC and being able to go to work rather than a mid-morning landing.

I'm betting that the flight times for UA are predicated on connections through to GUM or Europe. I have no idea how much that plays in to the feed at both ends. I do know that the B6 feed into HA at JFK has a number of cities where the connections are quite reasonable in both directions, so that's not the only thing out there.

It will be interesting to see if UA steps up their game on this route now that there is some competition in place.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:51 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Are the F seats like the PMUA seats with no foot rest and little leg room or like the PMCO "sleeper seats"?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 6, 2012 at 6:36 pm Reason: removed quote
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive, AmericanAdvantage Gold
Is that food free? I could not eat that. I much prefer spending 7-10 dollars on United BoB for my food on the flight and getting a meal that looks much fresher and tastier then the cafeteria style burger.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by KOADude
Yes, the A330 is the aircraft serving the new JFK/HNL route. In first class, the IFE monitor is located under the armrest and unlike on the old 767s, none of the a330s have digEplayers. Hereʻs a photo of HAʻs IFE monitors in first class...
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Are the F seats like the PMUA seats with no foot rest and little leg room or like the PMCO "sleeper seats"?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

The F seats on UA are basically domestic F (2-2-2) with foot rests. They've got nothing on the UA 76H barca-loungers, other than the AVOD system. I've got some photos of those somewhere I can upload.
Originally Posted by TWATWA
Is that food free? I could not eat that. I much prefer spending 7-10 dollars on United BoB for my food on the flight and getting a meal that looks much fresher and tastier then the cafeteria style burger.
This photo is actually the paid cheeseburger. Like I said, the UA BoB is definitely better.

Also of note is that the HA BoB meals are $13 but they include an alcoholic beverage. If you pass on the booze you still pay full price.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Lol UA should be worried? More like us UA fliers should be. They have no problem canceling the route! It's very sad that LHR/EWR gets a meal but the longer route gets none! No logic.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Was this one of the $450 r/t sale fares?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by sbm12
The F seats on UA are basically domestic F (2-2-2) with foot rests. They've got nothing on the UA 76H barca-loungers, other than the AVOD system. I've got some photos of those somewhere I can upload.
This photo is actually the paid cheeseburger. Like I said, the UA BoB is definitely better.

Also of note is that the HA BoB meals are $13 but they include an alcoholic beverage. If you pass on the booze you still pay full price.
I don't know if you answered my question? The PMUA Dom 777/767 they use to Hawaii/Guam are not much different then domestic First class (no leg rests or full recline. The PMCO 764 have proper sleeper seats even if they are not lie flat. Does this HA flight have seats like the PMUA (no room to stretch out) or like the PMCO 764 (where you can stretch out and lie almost flat? Forget AVOD. I get that HA has that

Originally Posted by UAL4life
Lol UA should be worried? More like us UA fliers should be. They have no problem canceling the route! It's very sad that LHR/EWR gets a meal but the longer route gets none! No logic.
Your kidding, right? They don't serve a meal in Y from EWR/IAH/IAD/ORD - HNL?? I've only taken the EWR and IAH flights in F (C) and they have almost international meal service. I didn't realize they were begging for bread and water in the back? The fact that AEROFLOT is now a better airline then UA/DL/AA/US should be a major embarrassment to all red blooded Americans

I took a 7 hour domestic flight w Aeroflot this winter and they served a proper 4 course lunch in C and I walked back to Y and saw everyone had a hot meal.....

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 6, 2012 at 7:01 pm Reason: merge/OMNI
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hertz PC; SPG P; HH G
I had the pleasure of flying HA from SFO-HNL last year when I needed a last-minute ticket for business and their walk-up fare in F was lower than for UA in Y. That first flight was on a 767, but sold me on their service. While the seat wasn't exceptional (reminded me of 1980s-1990s era UA F leather seats, but with a footrest) and the entertainment came by way of a digEplayer, but the soft product was head and shoulders above UA. Food was a selection of small plates that were unusually good, and FAs were the most attentive I'd seen in a very long time. There was just a general feeling of being taken care of and treated to a true first class experience that I hadn't found on a domestic carrier in a very long time.

Since then, I've been throwing most of my personal travel to the islands to HA, in paid F, and will fly them up front for business when the client contract allows it (otherwise I'm on UA with the still-usually-a-sure-thing upgrade).
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Your kidding, right? They don't serve a meal in Y from EWR/IAH/IAD/ORD - HNL??
That is correct.

CO used to serve meals in Y EWR-HNL. UA did not ORD-HNL.

Smisek came in and took the "best of both worlds."

Ergo, no meals in Y on either.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I've only taken the EWR and IAH flights in F (C) and they have almost international meal service.
No more. Now, the service is the 'non-premium' transcon catering, e.g., one tray with appetizer, salad, two hot entree choices, ice cream sundae to finish. There is another service prior to arrival. No pillows, see-through blankets, no menus, no class. Even the crews are embarrassed with this abysmal product. The saving grace is the seat, which is comfortable.

A far, far cry from the days of BF EWR/IAH-HNL service (until 2003 or so, with amenity kits and all). Even from 2008-2012 the service was the same as the EWR-West Coast transcons.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by channa
That is correct.

CO used to serve meals in Y EWR-HNL. UA did not ORD-HNL.

Smisek came in and took the "best of both worlds."

Ergo, no meals in Y on either.
I've written about this many times to CO after they took this away .

So sad! I was so hungry in Y the first time it happened! I refused to buy anything out of principle too.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

I don't know if you answered my question?
Probably because I didn't understand it.

The UA 76H which is used on this route has the same seats as the 764 pre-flat-beds. It is a LOT more room and way better recline than the HA seat.

Up front UA still has that as an advantage. Not much else.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Maybe that means we will finally get the 76Hs converted to flat bed?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by bdraco
Maybe that means we will finally get the 76Hs converted to flat bed?
Probably not for awhile -- HNL are usually vacationers and they usually book months ahead. I don't think they will be too worried for atleast a year or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.