Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Better to reserve award ticket online first and change or call in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2012, 6:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Last edited by HiFi; Jun 22, 2012 at 8:57 pm
Old Jun 1, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Yes, my experience with the new COdbaUA regime is that it is much easier to rough out an itin on-line as close as possible, and then call in to make changes. Giving agents a blank slate under SHARES has not gone well for me.

If you are a 1K, changes are free. Or I assume you can make changes within 24 hours for free, anyway, but never tried that.

Welcome to FT.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 6:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Old Jun 1, 2012, 7:56 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, 1.4MM
You can also book as two one-ways with award tickets
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:02 am

I've had luck calling in and having websupport issue tickets in issues like this. If you tell them the website won't let you book it online, they will usually waive the phone booking fee. Here's a great primer on how to have websupport call you with generally no hold time: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/20506
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
I just scored two ticket to Australia and coming back from new Zealand with one stopover. As usual, the website was giving me an error. The agent even couldn't even price it in her computer. After involving the rate desk and supervisor she was able to do it manually. Awesome for the flexibility! not so good for the 135 minutes spent on the phone (yeah literally 2.25 hours).
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1KHI
not so good for the 135 minutes spent on the phone (yeah literally 2.25 hours).
Been there done that. Multiple times.

Isn't it amazing to think that you just occupied 1/4 of an agent's shift? Worse yet, you probably had the primary agent with you AND someone from the back-end support desk for at least half of that time. So in reality, it likely required 3.5 man-hours for them to book this ticket! Imaging that COdbaUA values their agents time at $50 per hour (not saying that's what they make -- just want corporate values their time at), that's $175 worth of man-hours to book a ticket. Unbelievable.

Originally Posted by SouthPoleFlyer
You can also book as two one-ways with award tickets
But you won't get a stopover. And if not a Premier, you'll pay 2x the change fees if you make changes or cancel.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 1, 2012 at 12:40 pm Reason: edit/merge
Old Jun 2, 2012, 3:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Old Jun 2, 2012, 6:47 am
RNE

What Fee?

We are talking award tickets, right? When I see "purchase" bandied about I'm not sure we're all on the same page. Yes, I know there is a nominal fee for award bookings, but still. Anyway, assuming the former, let me advise that I have no status with UA but I have beaucoup RDMs. Most of my bookings are awards (booked on-line) and months later I have called in to modify them; I have never been asked to pay a fee for doing so. (These changes were made more than 21 days prior to the flight date.) Is this fee something new or something nonexistent?
Old Jun 2, 2012, 7:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Old Jun 2, 2012, 8:46 am
RNE

Originally Posted by HiFi
Yes, I meant purchase award tickets with miles. The fee that I'm talking about is changing C-D-A to D-A which would involve changing origin or destination which has a $75 fee for a person with no status. Have you done that with no fee and no status?
Oh, I see. I've changed days and flights and class of service but never O/D.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Originally Posted by HiFi
Yes, I meant purchase award tickets with miles. The fee that I'm talking about is changing C-D-A to D-A which would involve changing origin or destination which has a $75 fee for a person with no status. Have you done that with no fee and no status?
No. With no status, you have to pay the fee, IME.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 3:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Old Jun 4, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I have used miles for an F tkt using the following route

1 BKK-NRT TG F
2 NRT-FRA LH F (over night 21 hours in FRA)
3 FRA-JFK. LH F

Both bookings were made w agents on the phone right after 3/3. When I try to book it online myself it won't allow me. It must be a legal routing BKK-USA as I CAN book the reverse online (JFK-FRA-NRT-BKK). The only difference is there is no overnight in FRA

Any ideas why I can't book this online? I have no problem having an agent book it, I'm just afraid I'm going to have to go thru 15 agents before I find one that knows what to do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.