Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

After long debate, refunded $132,000 in tkts today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

After long debate, refunded $132,000 in tkts today

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2012, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Talking After long debate, refunded $132,000 in tkts today

My company has a sales meeting coming up in Dubai at the end of the month. We bought 12 tkts on UA back in Feb in a mix of C and D refundable fares from all over the U.S. with 6 sales upgrades confirmed to F thrown in. I have tried writing, calling, screaming and everything else I can think of to let COdbaUA know that CO was NEVER my choice of airlines and unless things got better I was heading over to AA and more foreign carriers. I myself have never flown UA to DXB as I am a true EK fan but this was the first trip for most of our American employees and most of them like UA so as long as the fares where about the same I had no problem booking them all on UA so they could earn the miles.

After today's newest UA FU w my trip I'm on now (rude co phone rep, bull answer, etc - I've now I realized all the complaining in the world won't change a thing. (i myself am going to give the AA match a try) It makes me sick that UA is getting this revenue so I had my office call and REFUND every single tkt today. I made a copy of each tkt receipt, wrote "CANCELLED AND RE-BOOKED WITH BA" on each one and sent it off to our local sales office with a big CC to Jeff Smisek And the Dubai sales office. I figure we can all complain and SAY we are going over to AA, ETC but perhaps they will take notice if people with refundable tkts start refunding them.

FYI - Our BA sales rep not only re booked everyone thru LHR which is no different as everyone had to change at IAD Anyway - BUT THE TOTAL WAS $18,000 CHEAPER AND EVERYONE WAS UPGRADED GOING HOME TO F (over a 3 day period). I really hope someone at UA looks at my letter and wants to know why this happened. I'll be glad to elaborate if someone has the balls to call me

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 9, 2012 at 5:19 am Reason: language
Old May 8, 2012, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
I hope that you can get their attention with this, but don't count on it.

I believe that UA has become incredibly impersonal, remote, and universally defensive about their shortcomings, and this, as much as anything, is driving customers away.

Last edited by zombietooth; May 9, 2012 at 12:02 am
Old May 8, 2012, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
This will hurt. Not the 130k, but the general sentiment that you have to book away from UA these days. Right now I can say that I just flew my first decent UA flight this year (EWR-PEK in BF, proudly operated by Continental ). I am still waiting for a ton of miles to credit and to correct as well as refunds and answers to Emails I sent months ago.
I haven't booked a single UA ticket myself this year and won't do so until the situation is improving by a few orders of magnitude. It really surprises me that UA is pretty ignoring the situation; maybe more cancellations of this magnitude will wake them up.
Old May 8, 2012, 11:54 pm

I actually think a few letters like this might actually get someone's attention. Even the knuckleheads "running" things at UA are likely to understand that losing $132,000 hurts! ^

of course, the downside of your actions are that UA is now going to 'upgrade' the blankets by just giving you the handtowels they hand out pre-meal (You will now be given a choice if you want it moistened or not), 3 grapes will be removed from each fruit bowl, and the inflight showing of first-run movies will now carry the footnote (*First-run in 1993) Maybe I should rescind my ^ ...

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 9, 2012 at 5:20 am Reason: merge
Old May 9, 2012, 12:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Exec Plat, SPG Plat
Love it

Let us know if you get a response
Old May 9, 2012, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wx4caster
I actually think a few letters like this might actually get someone's attention. Even the knuckleheads "running" things at UA are likely to understand that losing $132,000 hurts! ^
The person that handles our travel in house said she would be VERY surprised if we didn't hear back. This is also the first year we did not "refill" our pass plus acct and we have no plans to. 25% off F,C,Y is a great deal but we can get that w BA or EK as well WITHOUT shelling out the $$$ in advance like you must do w pass plus.
Old May 9, 2012, 12:11 am

Programs: AA EVP, United 1K and 2MM, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Delta
Thank You!

For the very clear, powerful message.

For those of us who may book "only" ~$20K annually with UA - my fear is even my moves to AA will not register. Can only hope that the combined impact of the elite moves to AA can register at least some percentage point booking impacts that may cause them to re-evaluate 1K/GS treatment - along with our gold and platinum brethren.

But seeing 132K gone in one fell swoop is just such a nice concrete example that it should get some attention.

If not - shame on them.
Old May 9, 2012, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johnru36
For the very clear, powerful message.

For those of us who may book "only" ~$20K annually with UA - my fear is even my moves to AA will not register. Can only hope that the combined impact of the elite moves to AA can register at least some percentage point booking impacts that may cause them to re-evaluate 1K/GS treatment - along with our gold and platinum brethren.

But seeing 132K gone in one fell swoop is just such a nice concrete example that it should get some attention.

If not - shame on them.
You would be surprised. Any amnt will register but only in the form of REFUNDED business. That's something tangible that they can see. Threatening to move your business to AA is only words. I think it's important to TAKE THE actual $$ right back from them.
Old May 9, 2012, 1:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
You would be surprised. Any amnt will register but only in the form of REFUNDED business. That's something tangible that they can see. Threatening to move your business to AA is only words. I think it's important to TAKE THE actual $$ right back from them.
Exactly! Vote with your feet! Ok here feet= (-dollars) lol.

I've threatened to leave in the past for a variety of (relatively small grievances) in the past but post 3/3 is so bad that I told 1kvoice I had actually left and meant it. No bookings on UA since, all moved to AA... a few were even prior to EXP matching and I will only use UA for award tix unless the mess is cleaned up.
Old May 9, 2012, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
Exactly! Vote with your feet! Ok here feet= (-dollars) lol.

I've threatened to leave in the past for a variety of (relatively small grievances) in the past but post 3/3 is so bad that I told 1kvoice I had actually left and meant it. No bookings on UA since, all moved to AA... a few were even prior to EXP matching and I will only use UA for award tix unless the mess is cleaned up.
As far as voting with your feet, I think the only substantial impact would be for your own travel, in other words, you would no longer be flying UA.

As far as sending a message to UA, I doubt this would have any impact, at least to the extent that the CO approach is the one in place.

Unlike UA, CO is not interested in addressing issues of individual customers, at least beyond their normal system.

While at PMUA one might have received some attention, an expression of apology and a legitimate attempt to address issues, CO has always been about the system.

That $132k that they lost will be recuperated through sales to other customers. Or maybe it won't be entirely recuperated. But, in the long run, what they're concerned about is maintaining a rigid system that maintains a "consistent" product for the customer and allows for virtually no variation from the system.

That's also why any exceptional circumstance, such as IrrOps, is handled so poorly. They're fully aware that every time something like this happens they're likely alienating a customer, but their philosophy is that, on balance, it's in their interest to maintain the system rather than try to satisfy individual customers, which would force them to spend time and money.

That's also why they don't do an especially good job of taking care of high-end customers like GS passengers. In the CO approach, this type of customer, while lucrative, is also a liability, requires costly attention, perks and incentives.

They would just as soon sell seats to lower tier elites or kettles and not bother with all the extra cost and hassle of dealing with highly demanding high-end frequent flyers.

When push comes to shove and CO dba UA notices aggregate revenue dropping, they will not change their tune and start to coddle big spenders, instead their traditional approach is to initiate much wider based promotions, such as credit card elite or mileage giveaways, or elite qualification bonuses, which are likely to attract many more customers (and thus revenue) to the carrier, than a phone call from the airline to one dissatisfied customer who just pulled $132k worth of business.

Of course, even though it's CO dba UA, there is still some UA left in UA, so, who knows, someone might make an attempt to reach out, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old May 9, 2012, 1:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
As far as voting with your feet, I think the only substantial impact would be for your own travel, in other words, you would no longer be flying UA.

As far as sending a message to UA, I doubt this would have any impact, at least to the extent that the CO approach is the one in place.

Unlike UA, CO is not interested in addressing issues of individual customers, at least beyond their normal system.

While at PMUA one might have received some attention, an expression of apology and a legitimate attempt to address issues, CO has always been about the system.

That $132k that they lost will be recuperated through sales to other customers. Or maybe it won't be entirely recuperated. But, in the long run, what they're concerned about is maintaining a rigid system that maintains a "consistent" product for the customer and allows for virtually no variation from the system.

That's also why any exceptional circumstance, such as IrrOps, is handled so poorly. They're fully aware that every time something like this happens they're likely alienating a customer, but their philosophy is that, on balance, it's in their interest to maintain the system rather than try to satisfy individual customers, which would force them to spend time and money.

That's also why they don't do an especially good job of taking care of high-end customers like GS passengers. In the CO approach, this type of customer, while lucrative, is also a liability, requires costly attention, perks and incentives.

They would just as soon sell seats to lower tier elites or kettles and not bother with all the extra cost and hassle of dealing with highly demanding high-end frequent flyers.

When push comes to shove and CO dba UA notices aggregate revenue dropping, they will not change their tune and start to coddle big spenders, instead their traditional approach is to initiate much wider based promotions, such as credit card elite or mileage giveaways, or elite qualification bonuses, which are likely to attract many more customers (and thus revenue) to the carrier, than a phone call from the airline to one dissatisfied customer who just pulled $132k worth of business.

Of course, even though it's CO dba UA, there is still some UA left in UA, so, who knows, someone might make an attempt to reach out, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Sadly, I fully agree with most of your post. I was just saying that I have truly stopped booking UA and my dollars are going elsewhere- AA. Perhaps better suited for the 'how many are actually leaving UA' thread, just making the point that UA should feel that aggregate demand/booking hit in 2Q.

If FT is the vocal minority or at least representative of overall trends, the company could be in big trouble. That is if your hypothesis is wrong and frequent 'high value' travelers are in fact very important to a major airline's P&L, an opinion widely regarded as mostly true throughout the industry.
Old May 9, 2012, 3:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
I applaud your move.
All along I feel that only numbers will perhaps wake up United from their slumber.
What we need is really a coordinated move to alienate UA from our revenue stream. If we have a running counter with the amount UA lost due to their indifference, Smisek will have to answer to during the next financial quarter.

Hopefully there are more cases like yours reported on FT.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Old May 9, 2012, 5:31 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Allow me to play the contrarian...what was the latest FU with your trip? What did UA do so wrong before now and with this latest snafu? Sounds like you resent the CO side and weren't a happy camper booking with UA already. Also, I know it's frustrating dealing with some agents but hanging up and calling again is a viable option, you know.
Old May 9, 2012, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
Sadly, I fully agree with most of your post. I was just saying that I have truly stopped booking UA and my dollars are going elsewhere- AA. Perhaps better suited for the 'how many are actually leaving UA' thread, just making the point that UA should feel that aggregate demand/booking hit in 2Q.

If FT is the vocal minority or at least representative of overall trends, the company could be in big trouble. That is if your hypothesis is wrong and frequent 'high value' travelers are in fact very important to a major airline's P&L, an opinion widely regarded as mostly true throughout the industry.
All of that is most likely right, but my point was simply that I wouldn't expect much of a response from CO dba UA.

I would make one other point about CO. Sure, even they wouldn't turn away $132k worth of full-fare business, but, as a rule, they're not particularly excited about customers who buy full fare tickets.

Why? Because these customers aren't guaranteed to fly (or therefore actually spend the money) till they're on the plane.

So the net result is that a full-fare passenger can actually be quite a liability, holding a seat till the last second, then cancelling it, often so late that it becomes impossible to resell it, even at a lower fare.

They would much rather sell a non-refundable fare, which is money the company is guaranteed to keep no matter what.

So, yes, they lost $132k worth of business from Chinatraderjmr, but had he been the "typical" CO ideal customer profile, he would have purchased non-refundable Z fares which would be guaranteed revenue...
Old May 9, 2012, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dparkinson
Allow me to play the contrarian...what was the latest FU with your trip? What did UA do so wrong before now and with this latest snafu? Sounds like you resent the CO side and weren't a happy camper booking with UA already. Also, I know it's frustrating dealing with some agents but hanging up and calling again is a viable option, you know.
I said the LAST STRAW was the latest FU w my trip. I never said I was not happy w UA pre merger, just that Emirates was my airline of choice when flying to Dubai or the middle east. As I put in my letter with a copy of the refunded tkts, I won't give an airline that does not care about me, my business or in the case of the refunded tickets, the business I control. Without laying out my entire letter here, I made it a point to address THREE issues. 1. The lack of any kind of customer service and in the case of the trip I'm on now - RUDE CS agents which is something I will never put up with 2. The outright LIE regarding my Million Miler for life benefits that were taken away and 3. The downgrading of the way UA has always treated its 1K's and GS

I was very happy with the pre merger UA for some of my needs. While I would never give them my own full F business over airlines such as EK, SQ, CX, I still gave them quite allot of my business. More importantly, I was content to give them full fare business for employees who preferred UA. So to say I was never a fan of UA in the first place is not correct

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.