Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA offers UA elite status match / challenge (sporadically offered)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Offers United 1K Elite AA Executive Platinum Match - Challenge
Program appears suspended or ended o/a 1 Oct 2015 but later reinstated

This thread pertains to Challenges issued primarily to UA 1K Elites to move their business to AA by bestowing temporary Executive Platinum status and establishing a ninety day period during which the enrollee must fly on AA and specific airline partners to retain status beyond the Challenge period.

NOTE: It appears AA has suspended or ended this program o/a 01 Oct 2015.

Originally Posted by FlyWell2009
I sent in my United 1K credentials and got this message back today after waiting 2 weeks for a reply:

Thanks for your response.

We no longer offer a challenge for United 1K members switching to
American. This promotion was an unpublished offer, and we've decided to
suspend enrollment for the time being. I'm sorry to disappoint you. We
hope that you're successful in earning your desired elite status soon.

Regards,

Andrew <redacted>
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines
Others than UA 1Ks can challenge for status as described in:
Help Desk: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)

For questions regarding AA Elite status, see AAdvantage Elite Status and Elite Status Benefits on aa.com.

Step #1 is to call AAdvantage Customer Service:

U.S. or Canada AAdvantage Customer Service
1-800-882-8880
8:00 a.m. - 7 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
1-817-963-7882 (Fax)

From outside the U.S. and Canada you may also call 1-817-786-3796
8:00 a.m. - 7 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday
The process:
  1. Call AAdvantage Customer Service for the requirements
  2. You send AAdvantage the required documentation of your current UA status
  3. They reply you are qualified to the match challenge and ask you to confirm that you want to enroll in the challenge, and provide some details on the requirements
  4. You reply via email saying you wish to do the match
  5. They send the final email describing also what your AA Executive Platinum benefits will be for the duration of the match period
Code:
November, 2013 email 

Dear Mr. AAspirant,

Thank you for your interest in making American Airlines your first
choice for all your travel needs.

We are pleased to grant you a special AAdvantage Executive Platinum®**
(oneworld® Emerald) membership, valid through February 25, 2014 (or other date). Once
your status takes effect, your membership card will be mailed within 3
to 5 weeks to the address on your account. This one-time trial offer
will afford you all of the privileges and most of the benefits of this
level, including:

• Complimentary 500-Mile Upgrades (see www.aa.com/500mileupgrades)
  • 100% mileage bonus on base miles for eligible flights
  • Waived AA charges for two checked bags within current size and weight limits
  • PriorityAAccessSM privileges at airport check-in, security and boarding gates
In addition, if you earn 25,000 elite-qualifying points& by flying on select airlines* while enjoying this special AAdvantage Executive Platinum status, we will extend your membership through February 28, 2015 and deposit eight (8) one-way Systemwide Upgrades** into your account. For more information about earning elite-qualifying points, visit aa.com/elitestatus at your convenience. We're here to help, should you have any questions related to this limited offer. We value your business and look forward to welcoming you aboard soon. Kindest Regards, XXX XXX AAdvantage Customer Service American Airlines * Travel on eligible airlines includes American Airlines, American Eagle, the AmericanConnection® carrier, US Airways, British Airways, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, and Finnair, as well as eligible codeshare flights. Bonus elite-qualifying points do not count toward your qualification for this offer. You must re-qualify for AAdvantage elite status membership annually. **AAdvantage Executive Platinum® status received through this offer does not automatically include the eight (8) one-way Systemwide Upgrades that are granted upon meeting the standard qualification requirements for this membership level. To receive this benefit, you must earn 25,000 points as noted above. Upon qualification, these upgrades will be deposited into your account within two weeks following your qualifying flight and will be valid for travel through February 28, 2015.
&American Airlines and US Airways flights earn from 0.5 to 1.5 Elite Qualifying Points per base / Elite Qualifying Miles. See here. The challenge is based on Points, not miles; one could fly deep discount fares and have to fly 50,000 miles to earn 25,000 points, and as few as 16,667 miles on B, Y and higher fares. Be aware: different airline partners may award fractional miles as well as fractional points for some fares, or even none for fares not listed on aa.com.

Older posts have been archived off. They can be read as follows:

ARCHIVE: AA offers UA elite status match (2012)
(full straight-on Status Match, April 2012)

and

ARCHIVE: AA offers UA Elites a status match "challenge"
(beginning May 2012, the offer becomes a status match challenge)

Print Wikipost

AA offers UA elite status match / challenge (sporadically offered)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by alphaod
Will AA offer the challenge to those of us without US carrier status? I've been flying a lot of premium fares on AA recently and could use EXP.
I believe that it's just been AA capitalizing on United's elites' dissatisfaction with their treatment by the new United.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Firewind
I believe that it's just been AA capitalizing on United's elites' dissatisfaction with their treatment by the new United.
That's my understanding, as well. Anyone who can prove that they are frequently buying premium cabin fares, however, is a customer any airline would like to have. It's certainly worth a call to the AAdvantage desk. Nothing to lose, hmmm?
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL DM
Does anyone have any info of when this offer expire?
Old Jun 14, 2015, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GrizNation
Does anyone have any info of when this offer expire?
Historically it kinda comes and goes and the only time it's known to be off the table is when it already is.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:06 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Historically it kinda comes and goes and the only time it's known to be off the table is when it already is.
Gotcha, thanks!
Has anyone ever had success in delaying the beginning of the offer by a few months?

Say I wanted to confirm it now to start in October, would they accept that?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:11 am

Gotcha, thanks!
Has anyone ever had success in delaying the beginning of the offer by a few months?

I don't think it's a matter of them accepting it or not. It's whether the offer will be around in October. I requested a match and they said to send in the stuff when I'm ready to start and it will start within 10 days of me sending it in. I'm quite confident I wouldn't be able to send my credentials from UA and say "sign me up on October 1", or July 1 for that matter. I am under the impression you send it in when you're ready to start the 3 month challenge and then it happens. You could probably wait until October to start but there's no guarantee it will happen. I was told in January on this same board that it was a risk to wait until June but sure enough I seem to be ok. I suppose October would be another extended risk to take.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:21 am
Suspended

Gotcha, thanks!

No chance.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:28 am

FYI I just got confirmation from AA today that starting tomorrow, June 16, all challenges for EP that are met in the three month period will ensure status through February, 2017, so the June 16 rule apparently still lives on.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:46 am
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by uthornsgo
FYI I just got confirmation from AA today that starting tomorrow, June 16, all challenges for EP that are met in the three month period will ensure status through February, 2017, so the June 16 rule apparently still lives on.
Excellent info! I'd still encourage all to confirm with whomever they speak to that that's noted for their challenge, but, for sure great news for those looking to take the plunge.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Reg
Just called today. UA 1Ks are still being status matched (I'm not one of them).

They could delay my challenge start day until my first flight if I already had it booked - I have one booked next week, so it was only a few days - I doubt months would work, though.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by uthornsgo
But u only get 8 vips?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 5:33 pm
kkg

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1MM/1k
Just to report a latest success -- called on Jun 17; received email immediately; replied with documents on Jun 18; and got executive platinum on the same day.

Offer is pretty much the same -- executive platinum though Sep 18; if earn 25k elite qualifying points, elite membership will be extended to Feb 2017 and will get 8 SWU.

Looking forward to a new experience on AA.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
AA has a great ff program and a horrible airline. DL and UA are opposite.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by jfk747
AA has a great ff program and a horrible airline. DL and UA are opposite.
I think UA is horrible all around - in the air, on the ground and with a castrated FF program to boot.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
With 3 points given on j fares would a one way on jl jfk nrt sin suffice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.