Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP Select Platinum Class VISA (and other per-merger cards) now "Mileage Plus Card"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Select Platinum Class VISA (and other per-merger cards) now "Mileage Plus Card"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2012, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Actually it does make a difference. I need to deal with this in the same month I'm moving,I'm helping my mom 82 year old mom move and dealing with a bunch of other personal things. Just because it doesn't bother you doesn't mean it's not insulting and bothersome to others..
Bothersome, I can understand. But insulted...seriously? Guess it really doesn't take much.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by milski
The credit cards are being updated with the new beachball/death star design.
Actually, the design somehow reminds me of the Borg cube.

Originally Posted by Sterndogg
60 days according to Chase then it auto activates which seems ridiculous....
I doubt this is true. For one thing, Chase has sent me new cards well before expiration (>60 days) and I always toss them into a drawer and continue using the old card until it expires. I've never had a problem (e.g., with the old card being denied because it didn't have the new CVV).

In fact, I'd recommend that all those who received the new card do exactly what I did. That way, if the old card gets demagnetized, you just activate the new card and you're good to go again.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by milski
Yes, new exp date, so expect all places which have the card stored to start complaining the next time you try to use it. Thanks for reminding me about that, it's one more annoying detail I did not think about.
The one place where I still spend on this card is with UA (almost everything else goes on Chase SP). I just activated the new card, then got the following error on my .nuke profile when attempting to update:

! We could not process your request. Please see the message below and make revisions.

! united.com was unable to verify and /or charge your Credit Card. Please modify your Payment Information or use a different Credit Card.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
The one place where I still spend on this card is with UA (almost everything else goes on Chase SP). I just activated the new card, then got the following error on my .nuke profile when attempting to update:

I got the same error when trying to make a purchase, but it was before I updated my account. See the other thread I just started. Apparently united.com is currently not processing any chase cards (if not others) according to the customer service rep at chase.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Don't like the new card. Now if it would have had a chip and was made from the same material that the Chase Sapphire card is made of (I get a lot compliments when I use) then I would have giving it a thumbs up. Looks plain and boring.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Sterndogg
Well I guess I'm the moron - I didn't read the thread correctly and thought OP was referring to the legacy Visa MP Platinum class card with 2x miles on UA and *A purchases; 5,000eqms for $5k spend on UA.com; and 5,000eqms with a $35k yearly spend and annual companion ticket instead of the Select Visa with the 3x miles and 5k eqms etc etc....I still have the Select with the large Tulip but received this "MileagePlus Card" as a replacement for the old Platinum class card...so confusing.
Yes, that's the one I have (or had, whatever it's called now)... 2x miles on UA and *A; up to 5K EQM for UA.com; 5K EQM for 35K spend; comp ticket; fees waived for 1K.

I'm happy to report that I've seen my bonus PQM for ua.com spend this year, already used the comp ticket and annual fee waiver and just received the 5K PQM for 35K spend. So while the only thing "Platinum" on it is the color of the background, is at least differentiated from the "MileagePlus Explorer" or "MileagePlus Club" cards by carrying the name "MileagePlus Card". However, the most important thing to me (sorry tulip fans) is that it has same benefits as the old Visa Signature MP Platinum Class Card.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:28 pm
DLB

I phoned Chase/MP which informed me there are no longer PQM (new name for EQM) on these new Club cards - neither the 5,000 annual PQM nor the extra potential of 5,000 based on 35K spend. At the end of July 2012, Chase/MP stated all previous Paltinum Select cardholder would be credited with a one-time PQM of 5,000 "goodwill", sayonara or whatever bonus, then no more PQMs. My MP account showed receipt of that 5,000 PQM. H

Really hte losing those 5K & potential 5K PQM benefits.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 1:50 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DLB
I phoned Chase/MP which informed me there are no longer PQM (new name for EQM) on these new Club cards - neither the 5,000 annual PQM nor the extra potential of 5,000 based on 35K spend. At the end of July 2012, Chase/MP stated all previous Paltinum Select cardholder would be credited with a one-time PQM of 5,000 "goodwill", sayonara or whatever bonus, then no more PQMs. My MP account showed receipt of that 5,000 PQM. H

Really hte losing those 5K & potential 5K PQM benefits.
Which card are you referring to? The poster right above you got their benefits. I have received no notice of change on my legacy Platinum Class card (5k PQM on 35k spend and up to 5k PQM from UA.com purchases). Is this yet a different card?
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
As recently as 6/30, I received PQM for united.com spend for tickets I haven't even flown on yet, but were purchased in June. So my PQM credit for spend seems to be ongoing.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Gold
I received my unrequested replacement card today. It is now clearly marked with "MileagePlus Select" on the front and no MP# as others have noted. Before activating I called Chase to discuss the replacement and any change in benefits. They claim no change in benefits. To double check I noted the benefits on the Chase site both before and after activating the new card. All appear to have remained intact. They are summarized below and hopefully remain intact as this is one of the few CCs I would be very upset to part with.

The new United MileagePlus® Select Card gives you great opportunities to increase the award miles you earn with your spending.

Accelerate your earning power every day.

You'll earn miles every time you use your card. Triple Miles on United ticket purchases and double miles on eligible gas, groceries and dining purchases. You'll also get double miles on travel with Star Alliance partners.

An Anniversary Bonus of 5,000 miles is yours every year in appreciation of your membership. And you can earn up to 5,000 PQMs every year on all purchases made at united.com.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:40 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I had the old "Platinum Class": 5K EQM each for united.com and $35K annual, annual companion certificate, double miles on certain purchases, $140 annual fee, etc. Just to add a data point, I called Chase and was told that these benefits are still intact under the new card. The new card, which is simply entitled "MileagePlus Card" and has a VISA Signature logo, is approximately the same color as the old card, just less sparkly and very slightly bluer/less yellow.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Just got this e-mail about my account:

Your United MileagePlus Select Card.
New design, same great benefits.

You recently received, or will soon receive, a new United MileagePlus® Select Card in the mail. Your Card has a new look and will continue to deliver the same great benefits you've come to enjoy.

Here are just some of the benefits your Card offers:*

• 3 miles per $1 spent on United tickets and 2 miles per $1 spent on other Star Alliance™ member airline tickets

• 2 miles per $1 spent at gas stations, grocery, restaurant and home improvement stores, and 1 mile per $1 spent everywhere else

• Receive 5,000 bonus award miles each year on your account anniversary

• Earn up to 5,000 Premier® qualifying miles (PQM) each year on purchases made at united.com

• Inside Access from Chase will delight you with opportunities to attend private, curated, once-in-a-lifetime experiences

• The Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection: exclusive perks await you at more than 700 premium hotels, resorts and spas in the U.S. and around the world

While your new Card has the same account number, annual fee and pricing, it may have a new expiration date. If necessary, be sure to update any automatic payments that require a valid expiration date. You will soon receive a brochure in the mail with complete benefit details.

For personal assistance, please call 1-800-537-7783 at any time. We appreciate your business and remain committed to enhancing your travel experience.

Terms and conditions:
*Please see your reward brochure for details.

Miles accrued and awards issued are subject to the rules of the United MileagePlus program. Please allow 6–8 weeks for miles to post to your account. The Mileage Plus program, including accruals, awards and bonus mile offers, is subject to change without notice. Bonus award miles, award miles and any other miles earned through non-flight activity do not count or qualify for Premier status unless expressly stated otherwise. Taxes and fees related to award travel are the responsibility of the member. United and MileagePlus are registered service marks. For complete details about the MileagePlus program, go to united.com.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
And for the Platinum Card Holders
Your United MileagePlus Card.
New design, same great benefits.

You recently received, or will soon receive, a new United MileagePlus® Credit Card in the mail. Your Card has a new look and will continue to deliver the same great benefits you've come to enjoy.

Here are just some of the benefits your Card offers:*
• 2 miles per $1 spent on United tickets and other Star Alliance™ member airline tickets
• 2 miles per $1 spent at gas stations, grocery, restaurant and home improvement stores, and 1 mile per $1 spent everywhere else
• A roundtrip companion ticket each year**
• Earn up to 5,000 Premier® qualifying miles (PQM) each year on purchases made at united.com
• Spend $35,000 on your Card and on your next purchase within that year, earn 5,000 PQM
• Inside Access from Chase will delight you with opportunities to attend private, curated, once-in-a-lifetime experiences
• The Luxury Hotel & Resort Collection: exclusive perks await you at more than 700 premium hotels, resorts and spas in the U.S. and around the world

While your new Card has the same account number, annual fee and pricing, it may have a new expiration date. If necessary, be sure to update any automatic payments that require a valid expiration date. You will soon receive a brochure in the mail with complete benefit detail.
Looks like we can stop worrying about loosing EQMs earning cards
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And for the Platinum Card Holders

Looks like we can stop worrying about loosing EQMs earning cards
Yup! My "new" card has the same expiration date as my nicer one w/graphite finish and Tulip, so the "new" one went in the shredder
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Joshua
Folks, there was a significant security problem at a payment processor which resulted in many credit card accounts being compromised. This happened about two weeks ago.

I suspect this is why replacement cards were sent out.
I had my BofA business mastercard replaced for that exact reason. I don't think it is Chase specific.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.