Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Voluntarily Denied Boarding (VDB/Bump) on UA" Thread [2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

Looks like VDB comp is going to go down.

Had an agent show me their SCARES booklet which details how to use SCARES.

Determine Voluntary Compensation
  • The initial ETC offered is the current, lowest published round-trip fare available in that market, rounded up to the nearest $50.00 increment (When //OVS or the web application auto initiates the initial offer will be automatically set.)
  • If insufficient increase offer in $50 increments
  • Minimum amount $100.00
  • Maximum amount $300.00 Domestic & $500.00 International

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Mar 5, 2012 at 12:43 am
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:03 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

• The initial ETC offered is the current, lowest published round-trip fare available in that market, rounded up to the nearest $50.00 increment (When //OVS or the web application auto initiates the initial offer will be automatically set.)
  • Minimum amount $100.00
Interesting, this is a step down from http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17859410-post35.html, where the numbers were $100-$400 (unless that included international flights?).

It will be interesting to see how reducing the economic incentive to VDB affects the rate of IDBs per enplanement.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs down Yet Another Reduction in Customer Benefits

Minimum amount $100.00
Maximum amount $300.00 Domestic & $500.00 International
"Changes, I think you'll like."

I have yet to see any change instituted by the UA Politburo that I like.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD

• Minimum amount $100.00
Took a bump at EWR a couple weeks ago, on PMCO, and the initial offer was $500 which was immediately taken by about 3 of us. Over at another gate that I could hear the announcements for, the bidding started at $250 and ended at $500. Both flights were domestic.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
Does anyone know of any changes in how to redeem previously issued UA paper VDB vouchers? Do we still need to go to the airport? And, more importantly, once we get there, will agents know how to process in SHARES?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
Took a bump at EWR a couple weeks ago, on PMCO, and the initial offer was $500 which was immediately taken by about 3 of us. Over at another gate that I could hear the announcements for, the bidding started at $250 and ended at $500. Both flights were domestic.
Perhaps they were really desperate? Or they were operating under PMCO rules?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:08 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by pagotto
Does anyone know of any changes in how to redeem previously issued UA paper VDB vouchers? Do we still need to go to the airport? And, more importantly, once we get there, will agents know how to process in SHARES?
I was told 2 weeks ago by a PMUA SD that the process of going to the airport would still be the same for existing UA paper vouchers. The process for the agent in SCARES was more complex but it can be done.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
[*]Maximum amount $300.00 Domestic & $500.00 International
Surely the maximum should be at least what an IDB is going to cost them, right?

No point turning down VDBers because you can only offer them $300, only to have to IDB someone and pay them $600. Not only does it cost more, but it leaves them with at least one very unhappy passenger.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by pagotto
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
I was told 2 weeks ago by a PMUA SD that the process of going to the airport would still be the same for existing UA paper vouchers. The process for the agent in SCARES was more complex but it can be done.
I was told by GS (both by the agents at ORD and the GS line) that the airport will no longer be able to handle the paper certs and that they would have to be mailed in.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:06 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I was told by GS (both by the agents at ORD and the GS line) that the airport will no longer be able to handle the paper certs and that they would have to be mailed in.
I guess I was given bad info. I will be at flying on Wed and will see what they say.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Maximum amount $300.00 Domestic & $500.00 International
It is hard to think that they will have many volunteers for VDB if the offer is $300 and the flight is the next day.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
It is hard to think that they will have many volunteers for VDB if the offer is $300 and the flight is the next day.
One would hope that they've got some flexibility to go above $300 if nobody is volunteering.

I spoke to three GS agents at a major UA hub on Friday, and they mentioned that they're continuing to do VDB according to PMUA rules. In fact, one even stated "Our customers are used to $400, not the lowball offers from CO".

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Mar 5, 2012 at 3:39 pm Reason: clarity
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL UA (.5MM)
One would hope that they've got some flexibility to increase about the $300 if nobody is volunteering.

I spoke to three GS agents at a major UA hub on Friday, and they mentioned that they're continuing to do VDB according to PMUA rules. In fact, one even stated "Our customers are used to $400, not the lowball offers from CO".
I heard something very similar from a GA at ORD yesterday. Sure hope that turns out to be the case.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:10 pm

Yesterday's Red Eye SEA-ORD was over but didnt' end up needing VDB. The kiosk gave me the prompt and only offered $200. Considering the next flight surely would have been the next day since this was a 1135pm flight, I'm shocked that the initial offer was $200.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 4:15 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
is right and that truly and royally $ucks the proverbial big one.

What if one needs to book a last minute flight such as booking in the morning for a red-eye flight that night or booking today to fly tomorrow and wants to use paper certs?

Feh and lookss just another change $misek said I will like being added to the list

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.