Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

At <24h, int'l UPGs now only can be WL'd by airport staff

Old Mar 23, 2012, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam

1k here traveling tomorrow US-Asia in D class. WL'd 5 weeks ago using a GPU to UPG D>F. Website has been showing the WL over the past few weeks.

At 23 hours out, only 1 seat available in first (F inventory)
During online check-in, was offered TOD for $599 to confirm into F. (huh? I thought TODs not offered if elites are on WL?!). Declined offer.
After online checkin, noticed that I'm not on any WL.
Called 1k and ended up with surpervisor who "called the airport" to get me on the list
After checking with airport, 1k supervisor advised that the "new process" is that not only do int'l res WL (ie, those created > 24 hours from flight) NOT automatically transfer to the airport nowadays, but that the ONLY way to get on the airport UPG list is at the airport at departure. Online check-in does NOT put one on the WL for int'l flights.
She noted that this "new process" (ie, the only way to get on the <24h list is to do it at the airport) applies only to int'l flights and not to dom ones.

Quite frustrating that not only are GPUs now being processed behind TODs, but also that we now have to wait in line at the airport to get on an UPG waitlist! Crazy!
Old Mar 23, 2012, 2:54 pm

Welcome to COdbaUA, where TODs rule
Old Mar 23, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
1k here traveling tomorrow US-Asia in D class. WL'd 5 weeks ago using a GPU to UPG D>F. Website has been showing the WL over the past few weeks.

During online check-in, was offered TOD for $599 to confirm into F. (huh? I thought TODs not offered if elites are on WL?!). Declined offer.
Called 1k and ended up with surpervisor who "called the airport" to get me on the list
After checking with airport, 1k supervisor advised that the "new process" is that not only do int'l res WL (ie, those created > 24 hours from flight) NOT automatically transfer to the airport nowadays, but that the ONLY way to get on the airport UPG list is at the airport at departure. Online check-in does NOT put one on the WL for int'l flights.
She noted that this "new process" (ie, the only way to get on the <24h list is to do it at the airport) applies only to int'l flights and not to dom ones.

Quite frustrating that not only are GPUs now being processed behind TODs, but also that we now have to wait in line at the airport to get on an UPG waitlist! Crazy!
And I was told that GPU upgraders would NOT be added to that airport list, only miles + money.

Someone please straighten this mess out.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
TOD stands for "Tens of Dollars". $599 is not tens of dollars.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
I feel luck that I had two GPU's clear this week at almost exactly 24 hours prior to departure on IAD-GRU-IAD. The way UA notified me it had cleared was to email me a new e-receipt.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
During online check-in, was offered TOD for $599 to confirm into F. (huh? I thought TODs not offered if elites are on WL?!).
That's UFC not TOD.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by jgreen1024
Agree! HODs, then! I believe, tho, that TOD has become the defactor term on FT for the queue-jumping buy-ups, regardless of cost (<$10, >$99)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18200584-post1.html
Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jgreen1024
Tens of tens of dollars -- sixty tens of dollars -- are UFCs and/or a kind of TOD.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Would anyone like to bet if we called 1K - 5 times - got 5 diffrent agents - we would have gotten 5 diffrent answers?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum (but I also just pay for upgrades if I want them)
Had the same exact thing happen to me two week ago from SFO-HKG

Go to the United Club and have them add you to the list. They can do it in there. People were asking to be added to the list at the gate because they were on WL as well and the woman finally said over the intercom that they would not be putting people on the WL at the gate any longer.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Disclaimer: I am being sarcastic. I am bitter. No need to ask me.

A GPU is good for what, exactly?

UA isn't clearing them in the hopes that they'll sell the upgrade to someone else before time of departure.

Then at T-24 h they kick your GPU off of the WL. So after all is said and done, you can't actually use what you've been given.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Really?

I did not know/realize this was a policy here these days. Thanks for the info. One less airline to search for last minute Prem INTL fares.

On another (but similar) note, does this also mean that no last minute (less than 24 hours) Prem INTL bookings either since, for example, ON is also used as last Upgrades from C to F and saver awards?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
11 posts in a row with sympathy toward the OP, and not one Globester telling us that there's no way this could possibly ever happen. Seems like a record these days!
Old Mar 23, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM

Disgusted - really. Trying to squeeze every last penny out of us. If I saw that "upgrade to First for...." I would bet I wouldn't clear since someone would cough up with the $$ for the upgrade esp if one seat left. How frustrating it must have been for you waiting the past three weeks to clear.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
I am glad someone started a thread on this because I am very confused and was about to post my experience from this week. I am a GS and was traveling between ORD and Asia (outbound to PEK, return from NRT).

Two weeks ago, I put in for GPUs to move from J/C to F. For both segments, the online reservation showed the booked and waitlisted segments. On Monday of this week, I went to the airport knowing that I hadn't cleared on the outbound. At the United Club, I asked about my status on the w/l and was told that I wasn't on it. I was also told that the new policy was that one could not request to be put on the w/l after T < 24. I complained that I had put in for a GPU two weeks ago and the agents put me back on the list. I ended up being #1 and never cleared.

While in Asia during the week, I called the GS line to check on my return upgrade. Now mind you the nice ladies at the United Club at ORD told me that my return upgrade was properly documented, looked good, and would most likely come through (no promises of course). When I called to check on Wednesday, the GS agent told me that not only was I not on the w/l, but that she had no history indicating that I had ever been on it. I asked to NOT be put back on the list due to all this confusion. Of course, two GPUs are missing from my account and have yet to return.

I am so confused about what is the right procedure and why my upgrades are not working. I hope UA gets its act together very soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.