Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How is Service on UA's 777 First/BusinessFirst Route (IAH-HNL)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is Service on UA's 777 First/BusinessFirst Route (IAH-HNL)?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
What exactly do you want? A fish entree?
I used to love the fish entree!

I do find it interesting that UA is downgrading most service to Hawaii, yet allowing use of RPUs, yet still charging BF copays for upgrades. Seems inconsistent.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Aloha1
, "weird priorities"?. Since when is expecting to get your money's worth a "weird priority"?
+1 sir. As someone else who flies ewr-hnl 6 or so times a year I've already taken my business elsewhere. giving AA a shot next Tuesday.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by VFR2EWR
+1 sir. As someone else who flies ewr-hnl 6 or so times a year I've already taken my business elsewhere. giving AA a shot next Tuesday.
I fly AA to HNL/OGG from DTW a couple times per year up front. Seats are better than the 764 barcaloungers. Food is limited to two entrees but is always tasty with a very generous separate salad course. IFE is non existent but with seat power and my laptop, I don't care. FA's have always been very nice. With UA no longer offering BF service from IAH or EWR to HNL, paying extra no longer makes sense.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by Aloha1
I fly AA to HNL/OGG from DTW a couple times per year up front. Seats are better than the 764 barcaloungers. Food is limited to two entrees but is always tasty with a very generous separate salad course. IFE is non existent but with seat power and my laptop, I don't care. FA's have always been very nice. With UA no longer offering BF service from IAH or EWR to HNL, paying extra no longer makes sense.
I wouldn't mind the cuts if they were going to put in the lie flats on this route : https://sites.google.com/site/theuni...-400-pmco-test

CO used to have the best product to Hawai'i. Sadly, I must admit I now believe AA out of DFW is the new king here.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 9:07 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Should I expect anything special? Hawaii flights are usually nothing special... considering that its 8 hours..... figured there might be some sort of domestic difference?
I think you'll be very happy if you fly this month.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:58 am

https://sites.google.com/site/theuni...ing767-400info

Looks like UA just won all my business. ^
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
I took a couple days off last week and nonrev'd out to HNL because I had nothing else to do (and I wanted to fly a 777 into Hawai'i). I was cleared into BF on both legs and was looking forward to experiencing the new and improved service.

I was heartbroken. The excellent meals I came to know on my airline's Hawaii service have been decimated.

It was a typical domestic meal with a sundae. Frankly, I was embarassed. The FA's in the galley were embarassed as well. The only thing that was decent was the mid-flight snack basket. I love the Toberlones.

At least the Mai Tais are being served now, though they are pre-mixed.

So sad... The Proud Bird to Hawai'i is no more
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:40 am

If anyone wants a few more details you can read my trip report here on the full experience:

HNL-IAH United First on Boeing 777 with BusinessFirst Lie-Flats
http://behindthecockpit.wordpress.co...rst-lie-flats/

Def. agree with the poster above about the meal service.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
And, sadly, this is the new reality for Hawaii flights on UA. Whoever came up with the menus should be forced to eat them every day for year or until they run screaming for mercy Bring back "Meals at Mealtime".
Old Mar 31, 2012, 8:10 pm

I'd love to know what the post-BF meal service is like on the westbound IAH-HNL and EWR-HNL.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 8:28 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Wow - this F meal looks bad.

I can remember flying CO 1 in the good old days - it was truly Phenomenal.

Thank goodness I flew it before Smisek completely trashed it.

I feel bad for the FAs having to serve this - its certainly not their fault.

It must be so embarassing for them.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:12 pm

Its standard domestic fare on this route now. The lie flats more then make up for it. However today was the last day for that. Lets hope they get the 767H conversions done sooner.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 2:02 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I think the HNL longhauls should receive the full BF meal service. After all, UA charges a ridiculous premium to fly those nonstop.

I was hoping that the PMCO catering will be kept with some procedure enhancements from the UA side like the snack basket or the red-eye meals.

Guess this is not the case, instead it seems like UA chose to find a middle ground between the UA catering and the CO catering programs. In other words, in my opinion, this is an enhancement for PMUA flyers and a downgrade for PMCO flyers.

This is all my opinion, and is not being presented as a fact.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:57 am

I flew this route in dec 2011. The tray came with the salad in the small bowl, the small plate for the bread and then the appetizer plate. Once we were done with the appetizer plate it was cleared and the main meal was brought out. From kokinos report and other reports here, is it now that everything is served on one tray? EVERYTHING...?

Is there even a menu with at least three main entree choices to choose from? Is there still a bread basket with the warm pretzel white and wheat rolls, and the garlic bread? By that time the pillows and blankets were standard ones so I was already recovered from that shock. But it seems that there has been a further decline in service standards if this is true.

UA already ticked me off when they took the 764 from the HNL-GUM route (and the semi-businessfirst service offered) and replaced it with domestic 772's, closed down the HNL presidents club (and removed the GREAT staff that were there), and now possibly this?

COME ON UA!

Last edited by trust77; Apr 1, 2012 at 4:02 am
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by trust77
I flew this route in dec 2011. The tray came with the salad in the small bowl, the small plate for the bread and then the appetizer plate. Once we were done with the appetizer plate it was cleared and the main meal was brought out. From kokinos report and other reports here, is it now that everything is served on one tray? EVERYTHING...?
That was the service both IAH-HNL and HNL-IAH?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.