Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Free booze (alcohol) on United transpacific flights in economy class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Free booze (alcohol) on United transpacific flights in economy class?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
I'm happy to hear these reports. It sounds like all we've heard is the one off announcement that they charge, but no enforcement of the policy.

I'd like to hear from somebody who HAS been charged.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Costco
Trans-Pacific...Comp Alcoholic Drinks in Y?

Can someone verify whether complimentary alcoholic beverages still exists on the Trans-Pacific flights in Y class?

I searched FT and read on the new United website, and I see there are conflicting stories.

Can someone share from personal experience?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
my bro is likely going to be on TPAC Y today, he's #1 on WL but cabin looks fully booked. if no clearance, i'll ask him. routing is EWR >>> HKG.

Last edited by eleeut; Mar 16, 2012 at 7:31 am Reason: adding route
Old Mar 17, 2012, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by andrewwm
Thanks for the report Hao!

Turns out, as usual, the sturm und drang by the regular globe haters ended up being premature and wrong.
Maybe the "regular globe haters" might be right occasionally?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18218167-post43.html
Old Mar 17, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by eleeut
my bro is likely going to be on TPAC Y today, he's #1 on WL but cabin looks fully booked. if no clearance, i'll ask him. routing is EWR >>> HKG.
Was in Y and charged for drinks on this route last wednesday, 14 march
Old Mar 17, 2012, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bucketlist
Originally Posted by eleeut
Was in Y and charged for drinks on this route last wednesday, 14 march
Looks like CO charges and UA does not. For now anyway
Old Mar 17, 2012, 2:54 pm

The confusion is this: The "old" UA website said clearly that alcohol was gratis on transpacific flights in economy whereas the "old" CO website said that alcohol was not free.

The "new" UA site (err...the "old" CO site re-branded) says alcohol in economy on all flights is $6 for beer and wine and $7 for spirits and liqueurs.

Folks here have reported that alcohol on sUA flights since the PSS transition and menu alignments is still free. Nothing coming from UAdbaCO though supports this an as official position.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I rec'd a bunch of drink coupons with my 1K kit...never use them. Gave them to friends flying Y to SYD (OMG...15 hours! Reason enough to become alcoholic) and she texted me later the booze was free. so, she'll bring them back to me.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by B787938
The confusion is this: The "old" UA website said clearly that alcohol was gratis on transpacific flights in economy whereas the "old" CO website said that alcohol was not free.

The "new" UA site (err...the "old" CO site re-branded) says alcohol in economy on all flights is $6 for beer and wine and $7 for spirits and liqueurs.

Folks here have reported that alcohol on sUA flights since the PSS transition and menu alignments is still free. Nothing coming from UAdbaCO though supports this an as official position.
There seem to be some oversights on the old CO website. They describe the IPTE 777s as requiring $6/$10 to activate premium AVOD content. Unless that changed on the cutover date, it's not true.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
On 3/11 flew SFO/HKG and served free wine.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jim77401
On 3/11 flew SFO/HKG and served free wine.
Yep - that is real UA not the imposter. The imposter flights are still charging.

Real question is when they finally wake up, which way they will go.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by tuolumne
There seem to be some oversights on the old CO website. They describe the IPTE 777s as requiring $6/$10 to activate premium AVOD content. Unless that changed on the cutover date, it's not true.
Flew SIN-NRT and NRT-LAX on March 17 and alcohol was complimentary on these flights. I also flew HKG-SIN on a CO Micronesia plane, but couldn't confirm if they were charging for alcohol, but I don't think they did.

Also, NRT-LAX was on an IPTE 777, and the entertainment was complimentary.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 2:44 am

you think if they ever get around to charging for beer on transpac flights, at least they can install a keg on that beverage cart and pour draft beer.

no charge for kirin yesterday 3-18-12 nrt-sfo
Old Mar 19, 2012, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
SFO-HKG on 3/18 had free beer, wine, and other alcohol. The passenger behind me commented on how his wallet was overhead, but the Purser cheerfully told him that everything was complimentary on TPAC flights.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
The other anoyance about charging for drinks onboard whilst only accepting credit cards is that anyone without a US card generally gets stung with a lousy exchange rate and a transaction fee, making that $6 beer much closer to the local equivilent of $10 when everything's added in. I was from London and even I think that's expensive for a drink.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.