Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Between Some City Pairs is Different After System Integration-Resolved by UA.

Mileage Between Some City Pairs is Different After System Integration-Resolved by UA.

Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:27 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
It's a known "situation/issue". Look for a thread called "mileage between some city pairs different..." (and apologies for not giving the full link but I can't figure out how to do that on my iPhone)
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
If not corrected automatically, I plan to email "Customer Care" after each of my pre-integration-booked itineraries demanding the EQM credit stated on the receipt.

This is highly obnoxious.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by avsfan733
I have been playing with this a little bit, I do a lot of analytics and this kind of stuff makes my brain tick. I figured the easiest would be to reference all these numbers to the GC spherical distance.

Using the GCmap suggested radius of 6371.2km:
The old distances were on average 3.5mi above GC Spherical
The new distances are on average 2.7mi below GC spherical.

However, if you were to average the polar and equatorial radius of earth (6378.1370 equitorial and 6356.7523 polar) you get a radius of 6367.4km. If you plug this into the spherical formula:
The old distances were on average 5.1mi above GC Spherical
The new distances are on average 1.1mi below GC spherical.

With rounding, 1.1 that is very believable. I was originally willing to believe there was some level of malice in there...now I am less apt to think this was more than a programmer trying to be more accurate and failing.
Or the programmer took a look at the previously-used, more accurate Vicenty's formulae, which has 11 variables and looks scary to replicate.

Then they just went with the less-scary-looking Haversine formula.

Throw in some rounding errors and some eagle-eyed FTers, and you've got yourself a problem.

I severely doubt this was intentional. Probably just an honest mistake that hopefully will be corrected in the future. I think the programmers are trying to figure out other, more pressing issues, like figuring out the GPU and seat assignment problems.

Originally Posted by muc2asia
Can someone give an example going the other way, where they benefited miles after the conversion (merging of the systems).
Originally Posted by avsfan733
SFO SYD 1 7417 7418 0.01%
EWR SJU 1 1608 1609 0.06%
IAH PBI 3 953 956 0.31%
DSM DEN 13 602 589 2.21%
Originally Posted by ianmanka
NRT-HKG (+11)
1,827 -> 1,838

HKG-SIN (+3)
1,588 -> 1,591
It could just be selection bias or negative bias, but the mileages that are being posted in this thread seem to be in United's favor. However, using the wrong formula is said to have ~0.5% margin of error.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 6, 2012 at 5:34 pm Reason: merge
Old Mar 6, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
EWR-DEN

My boarding pass for tomorrow shows 1,598 miles for EWR-DEN, down from 1604.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by ianmanka
I severely doubt this was intentional. Probably just an honest mistake that hopefully will be corrected in the future. I think the programmers are trying to figure out other, more pressing issues, like figuring out the GPU and seat assignment problems.
Hanlon's razor. I agree, no malice, just boredom on my (grounded) part
Old Mar 6, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
What date was your pre-merger flight and was the posting held up due to the temporary shut down of mileage posting for the system integration? Fellow f/t'er flew SFO-ORD/ORD-CDG on 3/1 with her miles getting caught up in the temporary shutdown and they posted last night with the lower milage amount
Flight was 3/1. Posted yesterday or Sunday. It looked like the posting was held up b/c of integration. That's my guess.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
ORD - CDG is now 4138 miles, a net loss of 15.

It's funny how familiar the distances are for the routes we fly regularly, ORD - SFO = 1846, ORD - LAX = 1745, ORD - CDG = 4153, etc., and how jarring it is to see the new numbers.

Since the new mileage numbers are almost all smaller, whatever rational explanation might exist, it's hard not to be cynical and think this isn't a ploy to shave off some RDMs and knock enough EQMs off to keep some marginal premiers from requalifying at their old level.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
Originally Posted by cranky1K
...Since the new mileage numbers are almost all smaller, whatever rational explanation might exist, it's hard not to be cynical and think this isn't a ploy to shave off some RDMs and knock enough EQMs off to keep some marginal premiers from requalifying at their old level.
That's not being cynical it's being realistic. Given that neither PMCO or PMUA used these milelage definitions it means without ANY question that someone decided to change the process by which "flight miles" were defined. It's not as though this is a brand new system they're integrating things on to, they've largely taken the CO foundation and rebranded it. I take no exception with that decision as one foundation had to remain. The idea that they made this wholesale change in how mileage is calculated without looking to see what the end outcome would be is just silly. I'd happily place a gentlemen's bet with anyone who'd like (for the "customary amount" of course) that the new (lower) mileage definition will stand for the merged airline. I will happily eat my hat if that turns out not to be the case. Goodness knows someone on FT will find this post if that occurs.

Just a complete and utter joke. I had reservations about leaving UA entirely even with status on DL now. Consider the tide turned.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by TakeTheATrain

JFK unfortunately has gotten 9 miles closer to San Francisco: 2577 instead of the 2586 previously... As someone who maintained status by just a couple hundred miles, I know that every little bit counts.
The Great Circle Mapper has this flight at 2586. On this city pair, UA is cheating, it seems.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:40 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Hi Everyone, in true FlyerTalk form, your detailed thought and research on this topic are worth talking about. And as usual, we have a pretty boring explanation for what really happened.

As part of combining our two loyalty programs, we did a side-by-side comparison of the mileage calculations used by Continental and United. Of course, we found differences. Most commonly, these differences in calculations were found in locations where airports have physically moved (e.g. DEN, HKG, SIN, etc.). Other differences were found in markets where, when Continental or United added service, the mileage amount chosen was simply set to match other carriers already servicing the market as opposed to doing a new calculation.

In an effort to begin using a single source for all mileage calculations, we refreshed all of our calculation data. The source against which this new mileage is calculates is a standard Great Circle Map (GCM) table. As many of you know, there are several sources for GCM data, and, while they don’t match perfectly, they are also rarely ever off by more than a mile.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:58 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone, in true FlyerTalk form, your detailed thought and research on this topic are worth talking about. And as usual, we have a pretty boring explanation for what really happened.

As part of combining our two loyalty programs, we did a side-by-side comparison of the mileage calculations used by Continental and United. Of course, we found differences. Most commonly, these differences in calculations were found in locations where airports have physically moved (e.g. DEN, HKG, SIN, etc.). Other differences were found in markets where, when Continental or United added service, the mileage amount chosen was simply set to match other carriers already servicing the market as opposed to doing a new calculation.

In an effort to begin using a single source for all mileage calculations, we refreshed all of our calculation data. The source against which this new mileage is calculates is a standard Great Circle Map (GCM) table. As many of you know, there are several sources for GCM data, and, while they don’t match perfectly, they are also rarely ever off by more than a mile.

Shannon Kelly
United Airlines
Thanks for the answer Shannon and with all due respect, a) it's not what really happened but what was decided (n.b. decided), b) it should have been disclosed and not left to be discovered by F/t'ers (and others) as surely someone at UA myst have known we would notice and c) folks who flew pre 3/3 but whose mileage postings were held up by the temporary shutdown for system integration purposes should at the very least have their original mileage posted as THAT was not their fault
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver

Shannon Kelly
United Airlines
I flew on 3/1 under sUA LGA-ORD-PDX. I imagine you refreshed the calculation data on 3/2 or later. At what point can I expect an adjustment for the mileage UA has incorrectly posted for those flights?

The intern that thought this beauty up should prepare for the onslaught when FT wakes up to this. Would have been nice for UA to throw us a bone. Guess that has no place in the new corporate culture.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Mar 6, 2012 at 11:20 pm
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:19 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I flew on 3/1 under sUA LGA-ORD-PDX. I imagine you refreshed the calculation data on 3/2 or later. At what point can I expect an adjustment for the mileage UA has incorrectly posted for those flights?.
Hi anc-ord772, if you'd like to PM me with your details, I can help with this.

Shannon
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I flew on 3/1 under sUA LGA-ORD-PDX. I imagine you refreshed the calculation data on 3/2 or later. At what point can I expect an adjustment for the mileage UA has incorrectly posted for those flights?

The intern that thought this beauty up should prepare for the onslaught when FT wakes up to this.
+1

MCI-SFO on 3/2 was posted with incorrect mileage.

As far as the comment about mileage matching competitors, we've seen the opposite.. Routes that used to match (AA/UA for SFO-ORD, for example) are now different
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Hi anc-ord772, if you'd like to PM me with your details, I can help with this.

Shannon
Hi Shannon, I appreciate the effort. Be prepared, this is a big boat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.