Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Despite linking my accounts back in January, CO doesn't recognize my 1K status.

Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC

While my transition from DL to UA has generally gone pretty smoothly, I have to say that I'm encountering one major road bump associated with the integration process... Despite linking my accounts back in January, CO doesn't recognize my 1K status.

I have a CO-operated flight this Sunday (3/4) -- the 1K desk confirmed for me that there are upgrade seats available but that there is nothing that they can do (short of asking for miles or certificates) to get me into those seats because "they don't know what my status is with CO". The message from that side seems to be wait out the 3/3 integration.

When I try to call CO directly, I get the regular phone number (and its ridiculous wait times). I waited for 30 minutes before giving up.

The CO website as well as the preview (pss.united.com) site, both show me as "non-elite" or "member" and nowhere indicate that I'm 1K.

Reading others stories here, it seems that I'm in the minority in this regard. Has anyone else encountered this specific problem? Any advice on getting both airlines on the same page?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 1, 2012 at 3:52 am Reason: vague thread title
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GBadger
.. Any advice on getting both airlines on the same page?
at this point -- probably just need to wait until Saturday 3/3.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Even though I'm 1K on United and Platinum on Continental, about the only time I get through to an agent in a reasonable amount of time is if I call the 1K line from my wife's cell phone. Apparently, they recognize her number as a 1K number and she gets right through. When I call from any other number, I can forget about getting through in a timely fashion.

Many of these issues should be resolved (or begin to be resolved) this weekend.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Isn't your 1K # on the reservation? If so, you should still be considered for any seats released into the UDU chute.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Isn't your 1K # on the reservation? If so, you should still be considered for any seats released into the UDU chute.
It is, but that's the weird thing -- the 1K line called CO, and they (CO) said that they could not see at all that I had any status.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: AS 75k
It is, but that's the weird thing -- the 1K line called CO, and they (CO) said that they could not see at all that I had any status.
Try changing the ff# on that flight to your CO Onepass # (assuming that CO recognizes you as a CO Plat). IIRC, you can do it on-line using the CO website.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flymonthly
Try changing the ff# on that flight to your CO Onepass # (assuming that CO recognizes you as a CO Plat). IIRC, you can do it on-line using the CO website.
CO recognizes me as "non-elite" (on their website when logging in using OP).
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:32 am

CO recognizes me as "non-elite" (on their website when logging in using OP).
Does it show your itinerary when you log into CO? I think it took about 2 weeks for CO to show me as a Plat once I linked my OP & M+ accounts. At this point, I think you're sol and WineCountryUA's advice is probably the best (wait until 3/3).
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flymonthly
Does it show your itinerary when you log into CO? I think it took about 2 weeks for CO to show me as a Plat once I linked my OP & M+ accounts. At this point, I think you're sol and WineCountryUA's advice is probably the best (wait until 3/3).
Yup, itineraries are on CO.com (at least the ones that have CO-operated flights).

It hasn't quite been two weeks (that's tomorrow), so it sounds like the best option is to be patient, wait until 3/3 and hope that a) the system then does recognize the status, and b) there are still some seats left to upgrade into for my 3/4 travel!

Thanks for the tips and thoughts everyone.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 4:39 pm

Could it be due to your status being matched by United that's why it's not seen by Continental until you complete the challenge (which by then, potentially, the systems will be integrated anyway)?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Possible. I didn't know that the status had to be obtained a certain way for both systems to recognize it. Seems like post-3/3 it shouldn't matter.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
BTW, it also needs to be stated again that even if "upgrade seats" (read: "R" bucket) is available it does NOT mean that the EUA system will upgrade you. This is covered in many different threads on the Continental sub-forum. It's a misleading indicator, unfortunately.

I haven't heard stories of CO not recognizing UA status. As long as your MileagePlus number is in the reservation CO will upgrade you as a 1K. I'd recommend you remove the number and re-add it to your reservation. That will force CO to go 'search' for your status again.

-RM
Old Mar 1, 2012, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
BTW, it also needs to be stated again that even if "upgrade seats" (read: "R" bucket) is available it does NOT mean that the EUA system will upgrade you. This is covered in many different threads on the Continental sub-forum. It's a misleading indicator, unfortunately.
Good to know -- thanks. The lack of upgrade is less concerning to me than the lack of status on COs website and the puzzled sounding CO agents that I've talked to that can not see that I am 1k and therefore have to call UA to confirm that this is the case (this was when trying to get into exit row/extra legroom seats).

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I haven't heard stories of CO not recognizing UA status. As long as your MileagePlus number is in the reservation CO will upgrade you as a 1K. I'd recommend you remove the number and re-add it to your reservation. That will force CO to go 'search' for your status again.

-RM
I'll give it a shot -- thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marr Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents
Had the same issue this past week, made three sets of travel reservations for 3/26 4/2 4/9. They were mixed metal tickets, I had my OP# in and once they were ticketed I went into pick seats and they had me behind Economy Plus seats, called the 1K desk and they couldn't move me or find me exit row seats. They finally had to remove the OP# and put my MP# back in and then they could find the seats & the Res's turned up on my CO & UA Res page.

Co-worker had the same issue this week. 1k desk wasn't sure what was going on, but its happening to more than just a few it looks like.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by ironic23
Could it be due to your status being matched by United that's why it's not seen by Continental until you complete the challenge (which by then, potentially, the systems will be integrated anyway)?
Didn't matter in my case. I did a status match/challenge and CO eventually recognized my status when I was in the first month (didn't finish the challenge until a little past the 2nd month). I agree that it *shouldn't* matter after 3/2, but who knows?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.