Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
how would one know that?
The scanners are also being used at airports that are not yet active in PreCheck. When the BP is scanned, if LLL is encoded, it will show LLL on the scanner, regardless of whether the airport is a participant in PreCheck.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by frequentjohn
TSA Pre worked flawlessly in LAS today The TSAR said it actually went live for United two days ago.
Awesome. I got and email about it from UA today and applied. Heading to Vegas next week and saw how it worked last month when I was there. Anything to make the process faster and easier without disrobing.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:16 pm

UA TSA Precheck target email?

Says I can sign up, but they won't contact me nor will the TSA??? What?

How do I find out if in good?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 1:14 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cwyeager
Says I can sign up, but they won't contact me nor will the TSA??? What?

How do I find out if in good?
There is no need for TSA or United to contact you. The only indication will be when you are selected for PreCheck BP.

Unclear what criteria the TSA will be using. While not necessary, many are enrolling in the CBP TrustTraveller program with the hope that will enhance the chances of being selected.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:31 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Exclamation It Works Like A Charm!!!

Just used it at LAS. Didn't even realize that it was active till the TSA lady monitering the F class line scanned my BP & directed me to Pre Check. I politely explained that I was not flying AA, I was flying UA!!!

She smiled & said to please proceed thru Pre Check, SWEET On SWEET!
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
Just used it at LAS. Didn't even realize that it was active till the TSA lady monitering the F class line scanned my BP & directed me to Pre Check. I politely explained that I was not flying AA, I was flying UA!!!

She smiled & said to please proceed thru Pre Check, SWEET On SWEET!
Aside from not having to take stuff off/out - was the PC line drastically shorter? Did they EVER wave anyone over to fill that security line?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Aside from not having to take stuff off/out - was the PC line drastically shorter? Did they EVER wave anyone over to fill that security line?
They won't. If you're not selected for Pre-Check, then you'll not be allowed to use the special lane. At ORD & LAX, it's common for the clerks to be standing around for several minutes, while the non Pre-Check lane is packed with people.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 4:57 am

Programs: UA1k 3mm, HH-LifeDiamond, Mar-LifePlatElite
MSP worked for me today for the first time. I hadn't been following the thread too close, so when my mobile pass beeped three times and turned green, I was quite surprised!

Was nice and fast. Although getting to the line at MSP is not at all straight forward, as it's hidden inside the Delta premium access area, and you need to convince the guardians to let you pass. At MSP, the delta premium line is only for delta gold and higher, and they are very strict, with access, and as such it's the shortest line at MSP. I usually gain access to the line with my DL gold card (no other airlines premium cards/ passes alowed - it's DL only), but up till this AM, UA passes were always buzzed red and denied the TSA pre area.

Not sure how they will work out the addition to UA folks inside the DL area, so if you qualify at MSP, you may get the run around short term.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
They're not scanning them all right now..I just flew yesterday and cleared security at PHL and my BP was not scanned..nor was it scanned at SEA on my way out a few days ago using the regular lane.
Flew out of BOS on 08 June and they weren't scanning BP's. Only mobile BP's. I guess BOS hasn't gotten the memo yet.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by mlbdenver
I asked a Denver TSA agent the other day when Precheck would be opening in Denver - hoping they knew more than I did. I was surprised when she said that due to the presence of Clear, the Precheck launch in DEN was either delayed or postponed because (her words, not mine) Clear and Precheck are so similar it doesn't make sense to have both.

As far as I'm concerned, they are NOT similar. Clear costs significantly more and its not "clear" to me that you can leave your shoes on, laptop and liquids in your bag, etc.

Any thoughts on this? To me, these are not equal and the presence of a private company's program in the airport shouldn't preclude DEN from getting Precheck. (Unless DEN signed some sort of arrangement protecting Clear, which would be quite unfortunate).
CLEAR and pre-check co-exist now at MCO (Orlando) EAST (DL; not UA or US) security check-point. CLEAR uses the central area between DL and Airtran areas; DL pre-check uses the far rightmost lane. As long as the volume stays managable in pre-check (a big as long as), CLEAR offers less than nothing, and, hopefully gets quickly kicked to the curb for Ch. 11 Pt. 2.

Originally Posted by djmp
CLEAR also coming back - do they re-use any of the same security checkpoints as PreCheck?
See above
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Jet Yi
TSA announced today that the TSA PreCheck program is coming to ORD for UA, US & AS later this year! http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2012/0208.shtm

Press release lists 28 airports that will get TSA PreCheck during 2012 including DCA, DEN, EWR, IAD, IAH, JFK, LGA, SEA and SFO.

Here's an excerpt:

Eligible participants include certain frequent flyers from participating airlines as well as members of Customs and Border Protection’s (CBP) Trusted Traveler programs (Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS) who are U.S. citizens and fly on a participating airline. Individuals interested in participating in the pilot can apply via Global Entry at http://www.globalentry.gov/.

If TSA determines a passenger is eligible for expedited screening following the TSA Pre✓™ vetting process, information will be embedded in the barcode of the passenger’s boarding pass. TSA will read the barcode at the security checkpoint and then may refer the passenger to a TSA Pre✓™ lane, where they will undergo expedited screening, which could include no longer removing the following items:

Shoes
3-1-1 compliant bag from carry-on
Laptop from bag
Light outerwear/jacket
Belt

TSA will always incorporate random and unpredictable security measures throughout the airport and no individual will be guaranteed expedited screening. As part of the agency’s risk-based security initiative, TSA is currently testing several other screening initiatives, including initiatives designed to provide positive ID verification for airline pilots and the use of expanded behavior detection techniques.

This combined with UA paying the Global Entry fee for Plats, 1Ks & GSs is a change I really like!
As a Green Crd holder, enrolled to CBP Global Entry program, will I be denied from participating in this program? in other words, is it really for Citizens only?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:29 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rebech34
As a Green Crd holder, enrolled to CBP Global Entry program, will I be denied from participating in this program? in other words, is it really for Citizens only?
appears at this point USA citizenship is an explicit requirement.

TSA PreCheck Participation
TSA PreCheck FAQs
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Even Green Card Holders who are not enrolled in the CBP Global Entry program have received e-mails from UA to participate in the Pre-Check Program.
You do not need to be a US Citizen to be invited. No worries.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by suite2suite
Even Green Card Holders who are not enrolled in the CBP Global Entry program have received e-mails from UA to participate in the Pre-Check Program.
You do not need to be a US Citizen to be invited. No worries.
Just hung up the phone with a United Premier CSR Supervisor who was able to reach TSA.
At this time ONLY US CITIZENS who have received an e-mail invitation could be APPROVED for the PRECHECK BY TSA.
It appears that United did not send out their invitations specifically to those frequent flyers who are US Citizens.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by mlbdenver
I asked a Denver TSA agent the other day when Precheck would be opening in Denver - hoping they knew more than I did. I was surprised when she said that due to the presence of Clear, the Precheck launch in DEN was either delayed or postponed because (her words, not mine) Clear and Precheck are so similar it doesn't make sense to have both.

As far as I'm concerned, they are NOT similar. Clear costs significantly more and its not "clear" to me that you can leave your shoes on, laptop and liquids in your bag, etc.

Any thoughts on this? To me, these are not equal and the presence of a private company's program in the airport shouldn't preclude DEN from getting Precheck. (Unless DEN signed some sort of arrangement protecting Clear, which would be quite unfortunate).
We have CLEAR at SFO and I opted not to go for it. I would go for TSA PreCheck. CLEAR makes no sense to me:

1. They require a complex sign-up process, they don't leverage any of the information that DHS and TSA already have for flyers who are part of Global Entry.

2. I don't trust a private company to hold so much personal information about me.

3. I don't see the benefit anyway since you still must take off shoes, take out laptop, deal with 3-3-3, and you're still subjected to the radioactive cancer-causing x-ray process. So, what's the upside? Most UA hubs have Premier lines and despite all the complaints, the wait in those lines typically isn't that bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.