Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Onboard Coffee (Fresh Brew Kova) - Reviews, Questions, Etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's Onboard Coffee (Fresh Brew Kova) - Reviews, Questions, Etc.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 14940674
No. The regulations set a maximum temperature for water aboard an aircraft, and it is below the ideal temperature range for brewing coffee. A higher temperature of water can be reached on the 787, but the crews won't be allowed to take the water to that temperature.
Well, I guess the Dreamliner isn't as revolutionary as I had hoped. ;-)

Shame to hear that .... sounds like a bit of a silly regulation to me.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:45 pm

I have been up in the air on UA quite a bit lately and I can vouch for the fact that the coffee is still horrid. UA had it right at one time. To think that it was such a pleasure to have a cup of SB, now all taken away.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
sounds like a bit of a silly regulation to me.
Flight attendants working around hot water during turbulence may disagree with you.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:29 pm

I may be in the minority, but I LOVE the Kova decaf coffee (instant). It tastes nothing like coffee, but it has kind of a licorice taste and I ADORE it! I just flew from MCO to IAD and a really nice flight attendant gave me a bunch of packets! THANK YOU UNITED!!!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Facts count

Originally Posted by fly77070
Actually, the test was conducted with over 40 people, completely blind. The in-flight test was conducted over 30 flights and yes, passengers were consulted. Thanks

It was presented to Flight Attendants...over 1,100 of them. They liked it. Nobody stood over them for theor comments that was in management. Many actually expected not to like it, but ended up liking it. Of course, it was brewed with good water, so that helped.

The same supplier sells their coffee to Ritz Carltons, Norwegian Cruise and a brand they have called Mokka in hundreds of grocery and specialty stores. They won the American Culinary awards as well. Give it another try

It was tested on several flights-over 400 consumers. The coffee roaster, who happens to have a separate business in vending service only in Texas(not a maker of vending machines) is one of the top roasters in the USA. They won the American Culinary awards. thanks

it was tested with over 300 passengers
Thank you
Bolding mine.

Well welcome to FT! Looks like Freshpoo hired a consultant! Thanks for resurrecting this 1 plus year old thread and make your comments on these ancient posts. However, let me help clarify a few issues:

1. The original coffee was onlytested by a few people (at HQ), and the project was headed up by a lady who self admittedly doesn't like coffee. Great idea thanks.

2. There was some testing done for the follow-up product... I'm sorry you say it was somewhere between 30 and 1000 people? Regardless of what number you throw out there, it is not statistically valid. Also, there was never any mention of a blind taste test or competitive comparison. They would lose- thanks.

3. Lift Coffee on WN. Apparently made by a private label manufacturer founded in 1912, but WN donates money from it to small Peruvian villages- so there is a difference in the product. Plus this random blog pokes fun at $misek and UA service at the same time! review/http://catchwordbranding.com/catchth...d-name-review/

4. Freshpoo has remade their site since last year! FYI they do not provide Coffee to Ritz-Carlton http://www.freshbrewgroup.com/coffee...rietary-blend/ at least some offer illy coffee and espresso ( a real brand of quality) http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Proper...ounge/Menu.htm

5. I am not sure what the American Culinary award is- I couldn't find it. Link please? All I could find is this. This is NOT either of the blends used by CO (btw their site still points to CO) and it was won 2005-2008 http://www.freshbrewgroup.com/images...onal_award.pdf
They also won an award for TOP QUALITY FOOD SERVICE coffee... that is not an award IMHO. Oh and they consider NSF recognition as an award LMAO!! Thanks.

6. The new COdbaUA never thought about passengers in Seattle, Chicago, SF, or DC who might JUST MIGHT have a different preference than a vending coffee from Houston. Then again, they seem to not care about allienating their base. Thanks.

7. The coffee is crap. I highly doubt this is even arabica beans. The competition moved to higher quality coffees and branded recognized flavor profiles, all while CO went to the cheapest garbage they could find.

8. Thanks.

Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by fly77070
Actually, the test was conducted with over 40 people, completely blind. The in-flight test was conducted over 30 flights and yes, passengers were consulted. Thanks

Lift is a similarly blended coffee as Kova- designed to please masses.

It was presented to Flight Attendants...over 1,100 of them. They liked it. Nobody stood over them for theor comments that was in management. Many actually expected not to like it, but ended up liking it. Of course, it was brewed with good water, so that helped.

The same supplier sells their coffee to Ritz Carltons, Norwegian Cruise and a brand they have called Mokka in hundreds of grocery and specialty stores. They won the American Culinary awards as well. Give it another try

It was tested on several flights-over 400 consumers. The coffee roaster, who happens to have a separate business in vending service only in Texas(not a maker of vending machines) is one of the top roasters in the USA. They won the American Culinary awards. thanks

it was tested with over 300 passengers

The brew baskets on the machines were not the correct size. The stabucks was a 2.5 oz and the new blend was 2.25 oz. The coffee pack did not fill the space of the deeper brew baskets so water flowed around, not through the grounds. That will make ANY coffee weak and taste under-developed=awful. Thank you
Well I guess first off welcome to FT! Now with the formalities out of the way, are you some sort of Freshpoo/CO appologist? Your post honestly reads like a marketing ploy. I'm sorry for using this expression, but wake up and small the coffee, these products are incomparable to the PMUA SBUX.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by AlisonS
I may be in the minority, but I LOVE the Kova decaf coffee (instant). It tastes nothing like coffee, but it has kind of a licorice taste and I ADORE it! I just flew from MCO to IAD and a really nice flight attendant gave me a bunch of packets! THANK YOU UNITED!!!
Nice try United Airlines!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I don't care how many people it was tested on, it tastes bad.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Executive
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Welcome to FT - I'm guessing you work for FreshBrew, as your first 5 FT posts are praising the company and it's coffee? .
Well, assuming the 77070 in fly77070's name was a zip code, I looked it up. You'll never guess where! Yep, its Houston, TX. Maybe you're on to something here...
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: NWA Plat, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond AA ExpPl
Had a sip of a cup this weekend. Very bad stuff. Sent it back.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
They certainly did not test it

on any flight attendants I have met who universally pan the stuff both the old new and the new new. With enough cream and sugar it is drinkable in a pinch but I suspect this is a robusta blend. I have been drinking airline coffee for many years and I don't remember it being this bad despite the supposed lower water temp. FA's on a recent flight were seen shaking the bags to settle them into the drip basket.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
Be Careful. If Mr. Smisek hears you complaining, he may swap out the Kova for this stuff.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Jeff signed off on it. http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...-02022012.html

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...g/javacity.jsp

http://www.blogsouthwest.com/video/s...above-the-rest

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12057042.../#.UIoNuY5FvS8

http://www.arabianaerospace.aero/espresso-delivery.html

Last edited by iquitos; Oct 25, 2012 at 10:20 pm Reason: added link
Old Nov 3, 2012, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
Nice try United Airlines!
LOL, I am not United!! I keep going online to try to buy this coffee, but I can't find it anywhere. You have to try the instant decaf, it really does taste like licorice! I am drinking a cup now from my stash from the flight attendant. My next UA flight is not until December 6 so I have to make it last! I hope the flight attendants are in a good mood that day so I can beg more packets!
Old Nov 3, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
No. The regulations set a maximum temperature for water aboard an aircraft, and it is below the ideal temperature range for brewing coffee. A higher temperature of water can be reached on the 787, but the crews won't be allowed to take the water to that temperature.
Flight attendants working around hot water during turbulence may disagree with you.
There is a solution to this problem. Bre the coffe at the proper temperature (or as practical on 787) and then put in a couple of ice cubes to lower the temperature before flight attendants remove the pot to serve.

Regulations are usually intended to be idiot proof. Flight attendants are certainly no idiots, but FAA may think otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.