Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQP ( was Flex PQM)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Benefits unique to the Chase MP Presidential Plus card (closed and not available for new cardholders)
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- FPQMs can only be used to increase PQMs to a max of 75,000. They are not counted once 75K is reached. (example 80K PQMs +10 FPQMs is still 80K total)
- FPQMs cannot be used to earn GPUs or RPUs past 75K PQMs
- FPQMs are held separately and are only used when the owner requests them to be applied to their MP account
FPQMs can be applied for a given year as late as March 31 of the next year
Print Wikipost

General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQP ( was Flex PQM)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2012, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Guys and Gals - I have been religiously tracking all points raised in this thread and I can say the following with certainty:

* You CANNOT use ANY FEQMs to get to 1K in 2012; period, full stop; end of discussion. 100k BIS (or equivalent EQM bonus) must be flown to achieve 1K.

* No one that I am aware of has received April PPlus statement FEQMs to their accounts. This is annoying, but I'm sure they will come. Unfortunately, UAInsider only answers about one out of three PMs I send her, and a week late; so I don't know how long we'll have to wait.

Frustratingly, UAInsider was able to move all of my 2011 FEQMs to Lifetime miles, and they actually showed up - for about 2 days - before being removed from my Lifetime Miles account without explanation. I am waiting for them to show back up in my Lifetime Miles tally, as well as I am waiting for April statement FEQMs to show up.

I have kept PPlus and have a Club Card now, because the PPlus will come in handy on years you're short of Platinum (though they'll never again allow 1K I would wager). But the 1.5 miles on the Club Card are a lot better once you've got your FEQM needs addressed. I realize I'm on the hook for $800/yr in fees, but it's still worth it with high spend.

I believe that later this year, they'll roll the Presidential Plus card back out; the FEQMs benefit (especially now that its capped at Platinum) is too great for UA's business and they'll be playing catch-up given all the bad mojo they've caused this year.

I truly believe they're just swamped/overwhelmed, but are carefully working through the backlog of complaints in order of their severity. Crediting FEQMs and Lifetime Status is probably at the bottom of their priority list.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by controller1
It doesn't stand to reason as there are posts stating EQMs posted but FEQMs did not post.
You're right, some have posted that they have receievd credit card EQMs but the fact is I still have not gotten mine for March or April and others in the thread I referenced have not as well though some have. So I'm still experiencing the same problem with my Select Card EQMs as others are with the PP FEQMs. I was simply trying to be helpful here.
Old May 8, 2012, 4:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
I was simply trying to be helpful here.
Agree. ^
Old May 8, 2012, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by rgrunnah
I have kept PPlus and have a Club Card now, because the PPlus will come in handy on years you're short of Platinum (though they'll never again allow 1K I would wager).

I believe that later this year, they'll roll the Presidential Plus card back out; the FEQMs benefit (especially now that its capped at Platinum) is too great for UA's business and they'll be playing catch-up given all the bad mojo they've caused this year.
It is my understanding from just about everything written everywhere that you can't have two UA branded credit cards. How did you pull this off exactly? I've been tempted to take someone up on the offer of a first year free code for the Club Card but since I already have a UA Select, I don't think I can, as the offer explicitly says you can't use this offer to switch from one UA card to another.

Do you have actual info on the return of the PP? As a PMUA person this was never one of my options but I also really find it difficult to believe considering the current mangement that this card would come back just because SMI/J has the customer in mind.
Old May 8, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by gradsflyer
It is my understanding from just about everything written everywhere that you can't have two UA branded credit cards. How did you pull this off exactly?
The PresPlus card was CO-branded until very recently. The UA Club card came out before they re-branded the PresPlus as a UA card.
Old May 9, 2012, 2:32 pm

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
My April Flex PQM's from my PPlus card just posted today so I am all caught up...
Old May 9, 2012, 2:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Just checked. Mine also posted.
Old May 9, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 1M miler, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist.
Just received mine today for my April statement as well!
Old May 9, 2012, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kokimoto
Just received mine today for my April statement as well!
+1
Old May 9, 2012, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by rgrunnah
I don't believe there is any set limit to the cards you can have, branded or otherwise. <
Check your CC terms and conditions, it definitely states you cannot posses more than one United card, so if you want a different one than you have you must give up the other. I'd say you lucked out to get the club while your PP was still a CO branded card.

I still haven't gotten Select Card EQMs for March or April despite repeated call to Chase. However after PMing UA Insider yesterday they responded today that they would look into it for me.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 9, 2012 at 6:28 pm Reason: merge
Old May 26, 2012, 8:59 pm

Flex EQM/PQM and 1K

I've seen what appears to be conflicting answers to this question:

Flex EQM/PQM (from Pres Plus CC) can only be used to achieve up to platinum status, not 1k. Which of the below is the correct application of this rule:

(1) The limit only applies to the last 25k miles between 75k and 100k. 100,000 miles achieved by first using a combination of 20k flex and 55k bis miles to achieve plat and then bis only miles used for the last 25k will result in 1k status

(2) To achieve 1k none of the 100k qualifying miles can be flex. They must all be bis (or other non flex) miles. In the above scenario, the 20k flex miles don't count at all (for 1k status) - an additional 20k bis miles must be flown to achieve 1k.
Old May 26, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by IOIOIOIOIO

Flex EQM/PQM (from Pres Plus CC) can only be used to achieve up to platinum status, not 1k. Which of the below is the correct application of this rule:

(1) The limit only applies to the last 25k miles between 75k and 100k. 100,000 miles achieved by first using a combination of 20k flex and 55k bis miles to achieve plat and then bis only miles used for the last 25k will result in 1k status

(2) To achieve 1k none of the 100k qualifying miles can be flex. They must all be bis (or other non flex) miles. In the above scenario, the 20k flex miles don't count at all (for 1k status) - an additional 20k bis miles must be flown to achieve 1k.
#2. A very big slap in the face to the CC holders because you can still buy PQMs through the elite maximizer.
Old May 26, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note

Really has to be #2, as #1 could easily be evaded by all but the clueless and therefore would be meaningless.
Old May 26, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL Gold

Flex EQM/PQM (from Pres Plus CC) can only be used to achieve up to platinum status, not 1k.
You can use EQM from any source other than flex EQM to add up to your 100K miles. However, for 1K status, they will subtract off any FEQM you used for determining your status. You can still use other EQM sources (the old UA visa cards, premier accelerator, class of service bonuses, etc.) so it's not truly BIS miles. It's purely targeted against FEQM, which is odd that they'd spend the time and effort to have their IT guys program exceptions for a card that you can't even get any more and has a hefty annual fee.

There has been at least one reported exception to the rule, who didn't get it automatically but got a UA agent to assign status manually... I suppose the wording is vague enough you could try it, call UA, and see if you get a rep who likes your interpretation of it rather than the "official" party line which has been published on FT by UA Insider, but sure isn't clear in the official rules.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:10 am

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
I think that no one knows for sure!

Here is the little that I know from personal experience.

Last December, I was close to being a 1K (on my CO OnePass account), and I wanted to use FEQMs to pass the threshold. But the PMCO website shut off the transfer of FEQMs after 75K. It came back with an error message saying that you could not transfer FEQMs to get a total above 75K.

I called up the OnePass service center, and they manually transferred the miles over to get me to 1K, but politely warned me that they were explicitly forbidden from transferring FEQMs past 75K miles after December 31st, 2011, so I should be careful next year.

Now, the big question is whether they would *retroactively* go back and remove FEQMs once you earn "regular" FEQMs past 75K. It seems clear (to me, at least) from the posts by UAInsider that in theory no FEQMs could be used to qualify for 1K, so they should do a retroactive removal. But in practice, there is not yet a report of this happening that I know of---too early in the year. So no one knows!

I personally suspect that they will not do such a retroactive removal. Being a computer scientist (and a database guy) I know that it is always more effort from an implementation perspective to undo something than to prevent it. Can you imagine little lineitems in your statement saying "FEQM Removal: 2622 miles" every time you flew another segment and they removed some of your FEQMs? Would they go back into your FEQM repository? It is certainly possible, but I'll be very curious to hear from the first person with personal knowledge of what will happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.