Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Presidential Plus Card Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by paranoiatx
Hi Shannon. The posted information is certainly appreciated, even if it is a massive reduction in benefits.

One huge concern for me is what happens with FEQMs already earned, as such earning was done with the current terms in mind. With the new "rules" posted we can all adjust our future spending accordingly, but we can't easily undo the past.
I believe some people here are upset because feel as if they have been deceived into believing that their FEQM would have value in the future.

Please consider a reasonable compromise of allowing us to redeem the FEQM earned before the rules change on Jan 1st under the current rules (up to 100k/yr & counts towards lifetime, swu, cr1).

Thank you for your consideration.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:53 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by eagle92
I agree...major negative to this card now. This was the big selling point to this card for me.

I guess I have to think whether to just transfer all of my miles this year or wait to January 1. After that this incentive to spend everything on this card just got removed...

And after that keeping this card vs. downgrading to another card becomes something one thinks about. Not something I would have even contemplated before these changes.
I started a new thread on the new terms of the CO One Pass Card - and I was asked to follow this discussion on the Presidential Plus card. Even though a lot of the discussion is irrelevant when it comes to the OP card.

Just thought I would note that with the OP card - you will get 10k bonus miles for $25k+ annual spend - guest privileges from LHR - 2 club passes a year - no mileage expiration (CO will otherwise go to 18 month mile expiration) - primary auto rental collision damage coverage - first bag checked free for 2 people - priority boarding - booking any available seat at Easypass (not Saverpass) reward levels - reward seat upgrades for elites - double miles when you buy a flight.

This card cost $95 last year (don't know if that fee will go up).

For me - the most important perk (and it's new) is the ability to book any available seat - no capacity controls. YMMV.

I was thinking of dumping this card - but may keep it for another year to see how it works in practice. Note that as of today - my primary card is an AMEX Membership Rewards Premier card - secondary is Chase Sapphire Preferred. Robyn
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:47 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Thumbs down Not happy with the changes

I am already a LTPC member, so I got the PP card for the 25% RDM bonus. Flying 100,000 miles a year means accruing 25,000 RDM miles for $100, which works out to less than a half cent per mile.

Without the 25% RDM feature I will be dropping the card when my renewal is up, since I really don’t charge enough personally to rack up a significant amount of Flex EQMs.

SunLover
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by bdraco
I believe some people here are upset because feel as if they have been deceived into believing that their FEQM would have value in the future.

Please consider a reasonable compromise of allowing us to redeem the FEQM earned before the rules change on Jan 1st under the current rules (up to 100k/yr & counts towards lifetime, swu, cr1).
IMO there are reasonable compromises they could implement going forward as well. Instead of hard 75K cap (past which FEQM cannot be applied under any circumstances), above 75K they could cap FEQM as a fraction -- say, 10% -- of EQM. That way, somebody with 91K EQM could still make 1K using FEQM, but the guy with 53K EQM and a big pot of FEQM couldn't buy up to 1K.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by beltway
IMO there are reasonable compromises they could implement going forward as well. Instead of hard 75K cap (past which FEQM cannot be applied under any circumstances), above 75K they could cap FEQM as a fraction -- say, 10% -- of EQM. That way, somebody with 91K EQM could still make 1K using FEQM, but the guy with 53K EQM and a big pot of FEQM couldn't buy up to 1K.
I'd really like to know how they plan on implementing this limit so I know if I should stop spending on the card or not.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

I'd really like to know how they plan on implementing this limit so I know if I should stop spending on the card or not.
It's already been posted. There will be two EQM counters, one for flight EQM earned and one for other EQM applied. FEQM will be able to be applied up to 75k per program year. For earning Platinum (or equivalent) and below the two buckets will be added. nly flight EQM will count toward the 100k level.

IMHO the two types of EQM are a [i]huge mistake -- if only because it is going to make things way too complicated for many people to understand. There are quite a number of people who still dn't understand the difference between RDM and EQM.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
It's already been posted. There will be two EQM counters, one for flight EQM earned and one for other EQM applied. FEQM will be able to be applied up to 75k per program year. For earning Platinum (or equivalent) and below the two buckets will be added. nly flight EQM will count toward the 100k level.

IMHO the two types of EQM are a [i]huge mistake -- if only because it is going to make things way too complicated for many people to understand. There are quite a number of people who still dn't understand the difference between RDM and EQM.
So now we have Real EQM aka REQM, and Faux EQM aka FEQM.

The only question I'm really interested in is do the FEQM count towards additional CR1s and SWUs (past 100k)? While its not completely spelled out, I am going to assume the answer is no as everything is pointing that way.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:39 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
IMHO the two types of EQM are a huge mistake.
Worse, there are three types to keep track of:
1. BIS EQMs
2. XFEQMs (Expiring FEQMs)
3. NXFEQMs (Non-Expiring FEQMs)
Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
So now we have Real EQM aka REQM, and Faux EQM aka FEQM.

The only question I'm really interested in is do the FEQM count towards additional CR1s and SWUs (past 100k)? While its not completely spelled out, I am going to assume the answer is no as everything is pointing that way.
Face it: If you are a Platinum or a 1K, this card is not for you.....at least not if you want a card you can use for spending. If you are using the card for the other benefits, great......but unless something changes, beginning in 2012 I'll be putting my real money on a card that actually gives me rewards for what I spend.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by SS255
Face it: If you are a Platinum or a 1K, this card is not for you.....at least not if you want a card you can use for spending.
I guess I'm going to miss having to explain where the magnetic strip is.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by SS255
Platinum or a 1K.
Any thoughts on what is the best replacement for this group?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:09 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by RNE
1. BIS EQMs
Can't believe CO/UA signed off one this. How is a non-FT'er supposed to understand/keep track of that!
Old Jul 31, 2011, 6:41 am
RNE

Originally Posted by RNE
1. BIS EQMs
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Can't believe CO/UA signed off one this. How is a non-FT'er supposed to understand/keep track of that!
How indeed! And if three are not apocalyptic enough, just wait until the airline creates a fourth category with a capricious decision to limit purchased EQMs!

RNE, adding, "Only when talking about Jeff Smisek does one get the opportunity to use 'apocalyptic' and 'capricious' in one sentence.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Any thoughts on what is the best replacement for this group?
Unfortunately, either one of the legacy cards that you can't get anymore, or maybe a new/re-done card that doesn't exist yet
Old Jul 31, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: Lifetime Gold UA and AA
Upgrade on reward tickets spotty

One of the most attractive benefits of the card is the opportunity to upgrade when using reward tickets. However, Continental's systems do not readily handle this, and if my recent experiences are any indication, the airline needs to do more work in this area.

Over this weekend, I had a full miles award DCA-IAH-SNA with an SNA-EWR return. The award was purchased about a week before the flights, and the cheapest fare would have been over $1K. Upgrade was not available at purchase for any segment, nor did any upgrades clear prior to 24 hours pre-flight.

I checked in 24 hours pre-flight for the outbound, and was offered a $109 upgrade for the IAH-SNA segments. I accepted, but the system refused the upgrade during processing. However, when I returned to the home page, the reservation showed upgrade to first on the IAH-SNA segment, in R. The upgrade on the reward ticket for that segment had cleared without payment or additional miles.

That was the good news. The bad news was that I was not on the standby upgrade list for DCA-IAH, so I called Presidential Platinum, After trying various techniques for ten minutes, the representative gave up, and told me that I could be added to the list at the airport.

At DCA, in the Presidents Club, I asked that this be done. But the agent there, Joe, informed me that the system was said that I was on the list, but that for some reason it did not show up, but that he would work on it. Ten minutes later, I checked back with him (no one had entered the club during that time and he was in no way busy), and he provided the misinformation that as this was not a paid ticket, I would be at the bottom of the list, and that because the only additional thing that he could try would be to check me out and check me back in, there was a likelihood that I would lose my exit row aisle if he tried.

After decades on the road, I have found that in these situations, it never helps to confront the agent, so I thanked him, left the club a bit early, and asked again a the gate. Unfortunately, being a small station, the gate agent called Joe, who gave him the same misinformation.

I told the gate agent to go ahead and re-check me in, and he did so, which resulted in my placement at the top of the list. Joe must have seen this, because he called and instructed the gate agent to manually place me at the bottom of the list, which he did. I was pretty unhappy at that point, but First Class then checked in full, and no one was upgraded, so there was no sense in complaining. Still, Joe definitely represents a training opportunity for Continental.

I checked in for SNA-EWR, and am again not on the standby upgrade list. Guess I will try again at the airport.

I have no idea why one segment would clear automatically, while the other two sections require some type of very difficult intervention, but if Continental offers a benefit like this, they should deliver it. Still, one segment of three is probably the same odds as a paid ticket.

However,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.