Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plus: Loyalty program for the new United in 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:00 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi Everyone, today we’re pleased to announce that Mileage Plus will be the loyalty program for the new United starting in 2012. I know, worst-kept secret. This means that Continental’s OnePass program will formally end on December 31, 2011 and then during the first quarter of 2012 we’ll wind-down OnePass and transition to Mileage Plus.

Here are some key points, which I hope you’ll find helpful:
  • No action is required. OnePass members who do not already have a Mileage Plus account will automatically be enrolled in the new program. For members who have accounts in both programs, we encourage you to link your accounts now, and then we’ll do our best to match up all other accounts.

• You can still link your accounts ahead of time. If you have accounts in both programs and want to link them yourself before Q1 2012, you can do so at united.com/linkmyaccounts or continental.com/linkmyaccounts.

• Your miles and status are safe. Rest assured that all reward miles, elite qualification credit, and lifetime status (if applicable) will be preserved as we transition to a single program in 2012. Again, your reward miles and elite qualifying miles/segments are safe as we transition to the single program. In addition, OnePass members will earn 2012 elite status based on their combined OnePass and Mileage Plus elite qualifying activity in 2011.

• We still owe you a bunch of details. Later this year we will announce the specific details of the 2012 Mileage Plus program, including mileage expiration, account numbers, lifetime status, elite tiers, qualification and benefits. I know you’re starving for these details, and we’re going to explain it all in the coming months.
I’m sure you have plenty of questions, and we’ll do our best to answer them.

Scott O’Leary
Managing Director, Customer Solutions
United Airlines
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:04 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Prez; Former UA GS
I was so excited to open this thread and then... no program details.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Oops. Need to learn to read the whole thing...

Great, first they keep United then they go with MP? What happened to CO taking over UA?

Last edited by dinoscool3; Jun 29, 2011 at 7:22 am
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well its as aspected To bad no other news is released!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
<deep breath>
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Just kidding. Hardly a surprise and doesn't really matter too much. Nice to see the nod to "preserving" lifetime status in the announcement.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Yay! Mileage Plus! :-)
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Thanks, Scott ^

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 29, 2011 at 8:39 am Reason: off-topic
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I guess it is a good news for us UA sentimentalists.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
Great, now I need to find my MP number so I can memorize it. (yeah, it is linked, but still...)
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
A putrid, rancid, foul smelling rose by any other name...
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by trm2
Great, now I need to find my MP number so I can memorize it. (yeah, it is linked, but still...)
There's way too many numbers!!! :*(
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:33 am

I am no marketing or brand profressional but I would have thought the name would be changed to try to create a new image as a combined UA/CO rather than a second life of the MP program.

Like I said I am no expert in this matter and I have no idea how change/no change really affects the consumer, just my 2 cents
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K
So, an update on what the name will be but no details on the program itself. I think it's misleading to say MP will be the program, when all that has been announced is the name. The program is so much more than just the name.

The biggest question, that applies right now, is when will we be able to use UA SWU/CR1 on CO flights, and v.v.? The other questions i can think of will all be answered once the programs combine.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nova08
I am no marketing or brand profressional but I would have thought the name would be changed to try to create a new image as a combined UA/CO rather then a second life of the MP program.
Like "United Points" to match the newly branded "United Club" lounges??

I don't really think it matters too much. It seems that most airline loyalty programs do a pretty poor job of distinguishing between the program brand and the airline brand so it doesn't make much of a difference.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Talking

Originally Posted by trm2
Not necessarily... They could just slap the MP name and logo on the OP materials and call it a day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.