Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

Note: This Wiki and thread is devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1. There is a second thread, and more extensive Wiki about both planes, in the Wiki and thread on Version 2. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 1, although older posts may refer to Version 2 (they were split 8/30/14).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1360456-everything-you-wanted-know-about-where-sit-pmua-3-cabin-777-version-2-a.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475682-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-pmco-777-international-5.html

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on Version 1

Version 1 vs. Version 2
There are two version of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (no longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

One unique attribute of Version 1 was the crew rest seats at the back of the E+ cabin in the middle section of Rows 29 and 30 (seats DEG). On most flights these seats were curtained off and dedicated for use by the crew. However, they were sometimes available when these planes were used on shorter routes and there was no need for crew rest. They provided much better legroom and footrests. This post contains a description and pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25059936-post991.html

Fixed bassinets were available in economy 19G, 34G -- none in BF or GF.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2006, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver, SPG Gold, PC Plat, IC Royal Ambassador, UA 1K, Founder www.SeatExpert.com , CO Platinum

Detail seat map at:

http://AirlineExpert.com/_UA_772_Intl_XQ.html

AVOD (Audio Video On Demand) is available at every seat, the first UA plane to equipped this way. The first 777-200 in this configuration started flying in April 2010, and will probably take 18-24 months before the entire 777 international fleet is converted.

First Class
There are only eight First suites now, instead of the 10 or 12 in the older 777 configurations. These suites are spacious, will a wide full-flat bed, and plenty of storage spaces. A big difference for me is the way the new seats are angled toward the aisle, as opposed to angling away. This makes couples traveling together have an awkward time if they take the middle pairs. For single travelers, for sure the individual suites along the side of the fuselage is better. Even for people traveling together, I might consider taking adjacent seats across the aisle, so you can see each other. Sharing of meals and quiet conversation would be difficult across the aisle would be difficult however.

The First glass galley is concentrated on the right side, I would probably avoid the right aisle if given a choice, and consider seat 2A be the best on this configuration.

As for window view, all of the window suites have plenty of windows, but with the angling of the seats away from the window, it is much harder to look out of them.

Business Class
Equipped with full-flat 180-degree seats similar to the (now-familiar) ones on the 767-300 and 747-400. Divided in two cabins, front cabins has two rows, and three rows in the rear cabin, with the galley and lavatory between these two cabins.

In order to fit eight Business Class seats across, these seats are narrower than the previous recliners that are only 7 across. Even with the arm-rest that can be lowered, these seats do feel relatively snug. The benefit is a full flat sleeping surface, albeit forcing the inside passengers to step over a sleeping neighbor in order to access the aisle.

I think the preferred row is row 6, since it is the first row and relatively far away from the facilities. If boarding is via L2, you turn left and most of the rest of the passengers will turn right and resulted in much less traffic through your area.

Note that the 777 cabin is about 9 inches narrower than the 747 cabin, with the exact same number of seats, so you will most likely notice the difference, perhaps most so as you are going down the aisles.

All four of the middle block seats in each row faces the same diretion, the same for all five rows. For what its worth, note that 7A and 7K has a middle window.

Row 8 is probably the least desirable, since it is closest to the facilities. 8C and 8H most likely would notice the most traffic to the lavatories and galley. The view out of windows in this second cabin is either back toward the wing, or partially being blocked. 10A and 10K also have a middle window next to the seat as well. 10B and 10J might notice FA traffic through the near-by curtain more so than others.

Economy Plus
With the reconfiguration into 3-3-3 vs 2-5-2, there are only four pairs of seats in coach, and all are located in the Economy Plus section.

20AB and 20JK are probably the best coach seats, fully shielded by the bulk-head in front of them, with good legroom as well. These are most likely the bassinet positions, so beware of that. The curtain separating Business Class is in front of you, but probably is far enough away that it is not really a problem. Since the facilities are in the back, you have a long way to go to the lavatory, but it also meant very little passenger traffic passing by your seat. You also get to the the first Economy passenger to deplane and through immigrations. A couple down side is that your view out the window is mostly the wing, and there is no under-seat storage in front of you.

21C and 21H is interesting, since they have unlimited legroom with no seat in front of them. This mean no under-seat storage in front, and trays are in the arm-rest, making the seat feel slightly narrower, and your monitor is mounted on a swing arm. With your feet extended, just beware that people and carts passing through might occasionally bump you.

There is a missing window around row 23 and 24, so choose another row is you want a view looking mostly at the wings.

The other two pairs of seats are the the last row of this Economy Plus cabin, at 31 AB and 31 JK. Note that there is no window for 31A and 31J, and this row is near the lavatories, so certainly more traffic. You are also just in front of the emergency exit, so people sometimes congregate in the area just behind you.

I would also avoid 30C and 30H, since there is no seat behind them, and their seatbacks could be used as hand-grabs by passengers passing through, or occasionally being bumped by carts.

Power ports are available in Economy Plus, one port for the pairs of seats, and two for the cluster of three seats. The outlet is mounted just under the seat cushion edge, so easiest accessible if you know where to look.

Economy Class
33ABC and 33HJK is the exist row seats, near the lavatory, and subjected to people congregating in front of you. No under-seat storage in front, and trays and LCD screens are in arm-rest and swing-arms respectively, making the seat feel narrower. 33A and 33K does not have a window, although it is probably far enough away from the exit slide that legroom is not really an issue.

34 DEG is the bulk-head row, video monitor on the wall, and this is also the bassinet position. Decent legroom, but again no under-seat storage.

The galley is in the back of the plane, as well as another two lavatories, so there will be more traffic through the back of the plane.

Rows 43-46 probably are the last to be assigned, or often reserved for tour groups with no advance seat assignment. They might also be more likely to be unassigned on occasions, and therefore somewhat likely to have a adjacent seat open for you to gamble on. You would however, be the last to deplane and through immigrations, and the back of the plane do get a little more motion especially through turbulence.

Power-ports are not confirmed to be available in Economy Class, and I will update the information as appropriate.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 19, 2010 at 12:33 pm Reason: resetting post date to keep at top of thread post queue
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:07 pm
Company Representative - United Airlines

Programs: United Public Relations
777 Reconfiguration Images

Hi folks,

We know you’re all very excited to get onboard the reconfigured 777s, so we thought we’d give you a little preview before the “maiden” flight.

Take a look and let us know your thoughts (like we had to ask!!)

Thanks again for your enthusiasm; we’re just as excited as you are to see the new configuration take flight!

United PR

Moderator's Note - Here's a link to additional photos:

Originally Posted by CaptainBilly
OK team. I'm in Rome and dead tired after flying 9,000+ miles from KOA. I've loaded the pictures that I took on UA 914 on 4/24 to a Flickr acount. Here's the link http://www.flickr.com/photos/muggsybananas/sets/

I think it works. SOmebody try it quickly and tell me it works. I really want to crash!

CB
Originally Posted by PWMRamper
More pics if anyone wants them [from www.airliners.net]:

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 26, 2010 at 8:24 pm
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA GS
Nice......

Any photos of F and C?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Thanks for the pictures! Looks great!^^
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:12 pm

Sadly, the same tired-looking economy seats (except for the PTV). I would've hoped that the cabin would've become a bit more lively or inviting after the remodel.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by PanHam
Sadly, the same tired-looking economy seats
And what were you expecting?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
Looks like the monitor in 39E is not working... Suggest FT'er avoid that seat
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Platinum
Sadly, the same tired-looking economy seats (except for the PTV).
Actually, the Y seats look notably different, PTV (and controls) notwithstanding. The headrest is more substantial and the seat profile is more modern, among other nuances.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:19 pm

Programs: new united nobody
to 3-3-3 seating

and what happened to 17 a-b and 21 hj?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And what were you expecting?
Well, from United? Frankly, I don't know.

I guess, though, perhaps a newer more modern Slimline seat, or something. Other carriers somehow make the economy cabin appear very modern, with cup holders, 120V power, space-saving armrests, coathook, a remote/handset to operate the PTV. Yes, this is UA, here, but I really would've hoped they would've truly revamped their cabins, instead of what appears a new PTV on an older seat.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Looks like more space in the foot well area, too
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis First, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Looks like more space in the foot well area, too
I agree, it looks like lots of space under the seats (however maybe the angle of photo?). Also notice the contour of the tray tables. Is it my imagination or do the armrests look narrower?

UnitedPr thanks for sharing.

I look forward to ridding on this 777!

Originally Posted by flyingbroom
to 3-3-3 seating

and what happened to 17 a-b and 21 hj?
These pictures appear to be the second economy cabin, so after the 3rd door on each side. Guess we'll have to wait for more pictures to see how E+ was configured for the crew rest seats.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 23, 2010 at 3:43 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
^^

Thanks for the photos! Did this reconfig add power to Y?

Now if we could only see some seatmaps.....
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:29 pm

Well, from United? Frankly, I don't know.

I guess, though, perhaps a newer more modern Slimline seat, or something. Other carriers somehow make the economy cabin appear very modern, with cup holders, 120V power, space-saving armrests, coathook, a remote/handset to operate the PTV. Yes, this is UA, here, but I really would've hoped they would've truly revamped their cabins, instead of what appears a new PTV on an older seat.
I thought there were 2 outlets for every 3 seats in Y, and those sure look like coathooks on the tray table latches to me.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
a remote/handset to operate the PTV.
If it's true (and I can't see any remote either), that's a terrible oversight. A seat-mounted touch-screen is the single stupidest design ever conceived. I challenge United PR or anyone else at United to sit in one of those seats with an eight-year-old behind them and say otherwise with a straight face.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.