Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forced to Share Hotel Room With Stranger?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2009, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Amex Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Forced to Share Hotel Room With Stranger?

Hi All:

First, this question is about my mother-in-law and not myself. I am a very frequent international traveler, and I never heard of this, so I decided to turn to the experts.

Yesterday, my in-laws (who rarely if ever fly anywhere), were on a United itinerary. (#429)PIT-ORD-OKC (#6029).

The Pitt leg was 4 hours late leaving, and of course they missed their connection in ORD.

Now, when she called me, she had stated that United would only pay for her hotel if they shared a room with another passengers???? So United paid for a double bed room in Chicago for my inlaws and a woman and her child....who were complete strangers??!

Now, I am am a business class world traveler but I just never heard of an airline agreeing to pay for a room after their delays only if you shared with a stranger. I just wanted to double check in here before writing to customer service...

Anxious to hear your thoughts? thanks in advance, Bob
Old Aug 9, 2009, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I've never heard of such a thing. Completely unacceptable to me.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Can you imagine if they put some psychopath in and some crime occured? What criminal, legal, and civil liability is UA exposing themselves to? That is crazy.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 4:33 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Wow, the new cost cutting measures are getting pretty intense. You can have the room between 2AM and 4AM, the next passenger will be taking the next shift. They could get a whole plane load in just a handful of rooms if they staggered the shifts correctly.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 4:34 pm

Unacceptable, I was on a ABQ-LAX UX flight that went MX and got my own room at an airport hotel as a GM nobody with UA.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
This wasn't an uncommon practice before hotels were more-or-less invented in the 19th Century, but then that was also before flying machines were invented.

I can't imagine anything like this happening in other than some major natural disaster. United in a hotel room with a stranger? No way!
Old Aug 9, 2009, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What was the nature of the delay? Mechanical or weather/ATC?

What happened? Did she do it?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
How were the roommates assigned? In my younger days, I could see some upside to this..... (ok, just kidding - this is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard lately)
Old Aug 9, 2009, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 2P
About 10 years ago I was flying LAX-ORD on AA (possibly was UA but really think it was AA) and summer thunderstorms forced diversion to Peoria along with several other planes. After sitting on the runway for hours we were bussed to hotels in downtown Peoria and somehow I happened to be in the very back of the check in line at hotel, and they were down to one room, and there were exactly four guys left, all strangers.

We shared the room, two in the beds and two on the floor. But it was well after midnight and not something I would have done if I had had any notice/other options.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 5:37 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Call the local Chicago media on this. They wll have a field day. They love anything lately to do with UA, and this is so far off the charts that they will salivate.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Okay, it's not April 1st so this is no joke, right?

Hard to fathom how and why this happened.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 5:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Maybe UA could save even more money and open their own hostel at ORD (remember the one that's in an old 747 at Stockholm Airport?). Surely there must be an old airplane about that they can add a couple bunk beds to versus parking it out in the desert. Imagine all the money they'd save there versus farming passengers out to hotels to share rooms. UGS passengers could even get first choice as to accommodations on the plane.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Guizo
We shared the room, two in the beds and two on the floor. But it was well after midnight and not something I would have done if I had had any notice/other options.
Those aren't pillows.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta Sky Miles
Totally unacceptable! I won't share a room with people I know, yet alone with another stranded passenger from my flight.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by riversair
..Now, when she called me, she had stated that United would only pay for her hotel if they shared a room with another passengers???? So United paid for a double bed room in Chicago for my inlaws and a woman and her child....who were complete strangers??!...
That sounds impossible ... even for good ol'UA. Could it just be an ugly misunderstanding?
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Can you imagine if they put some psychopath in and some crime occured? What criminal, legal, and civil liability is UA exposing themselves to? That is crazy.
As they must all be pax ... isn't it the TSA's job to filter those out ?

No seriously, how could hostels operate if such was the liability?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.