Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Multiple Mosquito Bites on Transatlantic Flight B777Overwater

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple Mosquito Bites on Transatlantic Flight B777Overwater

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2009, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu
Angry Multiple Mosquito Bites on Transatlantic Flight B777Overwater

Hi all,

I had the bad surprise of getting several mosquito/bug bites on last night's flight from Washington Dulles to Munich, 5 times on my left arm and 2 on my right arm.

The marks are still there and quite visible. There is a slight pain if I press on the skin where the bug bites are.

I of course reported them to the Purser who said he would report the problem to the Captain. There is no need to tell you that I was very upset with this. This is very suspicious to say the least.

I will tolerate bad food as I will simply refuse the meal tray but there is no question that I tolerate being bitten by mosquitos/bugs several times during a flight. Mosquitos can carry Malaria and Dengue Fever and what else the heck I have no idea of.

Who do I email at United to complain about this? There is no way I am going to let them get away with it. It simply does not encourage me to fly with them, especially considering all the other problems, bad meals, lack of clean blankets on board, unpleasant flight crews, bad seating for elite members when non-revenue travellers get to sit in Business Class, etc.

There is a lot to be unhappy about when flying with United these days. No Double EQM will make up for all these disagreements especially not BUG BITES.
Old May 5, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond
Did you acctually see any mosquitos? Could be fleas?
Old May 5, 2009, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Where was your flight coming from?
Old May 5, 2009, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by CDG1
There is no way I am going to let them get away with it.
Get away with what?

Airlines cannot control what people bring on board. You can't expect them to fumigate all passengers prior to boarding.

Would you also sue a department store if someone let a mosquito in? Have you sued your government yet? Sounds to me like you're just out to make a quick buck from something that cannot be controlled.
Old May 5, 2009, 10:28 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Are you sure you didn't bring the biting pests with you onto the plane?
Old May 5, 2009, 10:37 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Hi all,

The marks are still there and quite visible. There is a slight pain if I press on the skin where the bug bites are.
Then don't press the skin.

Funniest post I've read on here in awhile.

Goes to show how stupid and sheltered society has become. If the room isn't sterile and devoid of any life, it's time to get pissed and demand recourse. You need to spend some time out in a rural area and understand how the rest of the world lives.
Old May 5, 2009, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Wear long sleeves and bug spray then.
Old May 5, 2009, 10:40 am

Worst of all, that mosquito was a non-rev, in F!
Old May 5, 2009, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
should the bed bugs be renamed seatbugs?
Old May 5, 2009, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Wear long sleeves and bug spray then.
Or hang a mosquito net. Or, based on the outrage of the OP, wear a beekeeper's outfit. You'll look great.
Old May 5, 2009, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Steph3n
should the bed bugs be renamed seatbugs?
Maybe a gate lice got on board somehow .
Old May 5, 2009, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by PanHam
now you are onto something, the gate lice actually boarded and infected the entire plane!
Old May 5, 2009, 10:52 am

Programs: airline independent; HHonors Diamond/Marriott Titanium
Well, at least the meal service was good for the bugs.
Old May 5, 2009, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by PanHam
LOL!! Best response yet!

This sense of entitlement is so frustrating. Due you complain to UA because someone sneezed in your direction and you caught a cold? You accidentally bite your tongue while eating an in-flight meal? You slammed the toilet slid on your finger and bruised it? (wait a sec... 777 toilet lids close gently )
Old May 5, 2009, 10:58 am

I will tolerate bad food as I will simply refuse the meal tray but there is no question that I tolerate being bitten by mosquitos/bugs several times during a flight. Mosquitos can carry Malaria and Dengue Fever and what else the heck I have no idea of.

Who do I email at United to complain about this? There is no way I am going to let them get away with it. It simply does not encourage me to fly with them, especially considering all the other problems, bad meals, lack of clean blankets on board, unpleasant flight crews, bad seating for elite members when non-revenue travellers get to sit in Business Class, etc.

There is a lot to be unhappy about when flying with United these days. No Double EQM will make up for all these disagreements especially not BUG BITES.
Is this satirical? It's pretty good, if it is.

I've rearead this several times. It's pretty amazing how more and more ludicrous this tantrum seems after each read.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.