Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Re-enrollment needed for Safeway miles (&Vons, Dominicks, Pavilions and Genuardi's??)

Re-enrollment needed for Safeway miles (&Vons, Dominicks, Pavilions and Genuardi's??)

Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

received this today
You've been re-enrolled in GroceryMiles
WineCountryUA,

Beginning this year, Safeway is asking all members in the GroceryMiles program to re-enroll to keep earning miles when you shop at Safeway. However, since you are one of our most valued Mileage Plus members, we've gone ahead and automatically renewed your membership.

Please know that no action is needed on your part except to continue to shop and earn 125 miles per $250 in qualifying purchases! As always, there is no annual fee in this program.

Thanks for your continued support.
Wonder if they did auto-re-enrollment for all or just elites or ???
Someone who signed up for Grocery Miles to keep their miles alive may be surprised.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:07 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I got the same email. No big deal - just renewed. I figure that I earn a whopping 1,250 to 1,500 miles a year with this partner.

Dear Mr. MileageAddict:

To keep earning miles when you shop at Safeway, you need to renew your membership by February 28, 2009. It's free and easy to renew. Renew today.

If you do not renew your membership, you will not continue to receive miles for your grocery purchases at Safeway.

Renew now and keep earning 125 miles per $250 in qualifying purchases.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So one 1K was auto-renewed and another was not???
We received a bit over 4,000 bonus miles -- so that may have been the qualifier.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:36 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I am not a frequent shopper (probably around 500-750 RDM per year with this promo), but I did get the auto-renewal version of the email.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I am not a frequent shopper (probably around 500-750 RDM per year with this promo), but I did get the auto-renewal version of the email.
+1. I'm probably in the 1000-1500 RDM range.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:40 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I probably didn't get the auto-renewal as I use my wife's MP account to earn the miles. I figure with all my travels, I earn plenty whereas the Safeway miles keep her account active.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
received this today

You've been re-enrolled in GroceryMiles
WineCountryUA,

Beginning this year, Safeway is asking all members in the GroceryMiles program to re-enroll to keep earning miles when you shop at Safeway. However, since you are one of our most valued Mileage Plus members, we've gone ahead and automatically renewed your membership.

Please know that no action is needed on your part except to continue to shop and earn 125 miles per $250 in qualifying purchases! As always, there is no annual fee in this program.

Thanks for your continued support.
Wonder if they did auto-re-enrollment for all or just elites or ???
Someone who signed up for Grocery Miles to keep their miles alive may be surprised.
got the same exact e-mail. not sure if "all elites" as goalie-parents (both 3p for a short while longer ) did not receive the e-mail (as of now) and i'm waiting to hear back from goalie-sis (1p)
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: United 2P, QMM, eleVAte
Originally Posted by goalie
got the same exact e-mail. not sure if "all elites" as goalie-parents (both 3p for a short while longer ) did not receive the e-mail (as of now) and i'm waiting to hear back from goalie-sis (1p)
i got the same e-mail as op. girlfriend is 3p, and got a different e-mail two or three days ago saying she had to re-enroll manually. neither one of us earns more than 1000 rdm's a year via this method...
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:18 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
I got the auto-re-enroll e-mail even though I've earned 0 miles via this promotion (didn't spend anywhere near $250 at Vons all of last year).
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Same for Dominicks...

I got the email too, probably got 1000 RDM last year with this one.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I received an email saying as I am valued member they re-enrolled me. I don't see why United wouldn't just be re-enrolling everyone, since I doubt they have to pay. It seems the email is just pointing out that it is Safeway that is making this change to their program. Maybe if you somehow didn't enroll originally via .bomb then they wouldn't be able to easily re-enroll you?

Data point:

I am a 3P and shop at Safeway for one. I enrolled late last Summer an earned only 500RDMs through this program all at the end of 2008.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:39 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by goalie
to update: goalie-sis got the "no action required" e-mail as well and goalie-parents will to get the e-mail as they never registered to begin with
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
I've been 1K several running now and got the "click here to renew" email. My shopping patterns at Safeway/Vons is sporadic at best as I can pick up most items I need at a Trader Joes and small farmers market closer to where I live.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Auto-enrolled here, too.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:37 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
This 1P got the auto-re-enrollment message, amidst several other MP e-mails (Valentine's Day earning, and a revamped MP Store which has far worse redemption rates than ever before...)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.